PDA

View Full Version : L&R Channels flipped

synsei
06-01-2014, 12:05
I have a strange problem somewhere inside my 'puter, it is outputting with the left and right channels reversed through its coaxial digital port, how can that be? I have checked all the relevant cabling in the system and it is all as it should be so there is definitely something awry in the computer... :scratch:

Gordon Steadman
06-01-2014, 12:10
probably a Friday machine!! However, I assume you can just reverse the first set of leads at the analogue bit!!?

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 12:20
Dave,

What computer is it? on Macs the audio midi control panel can be used to assign channels correctly, if it's a pc I don't know as I never use them, but there may be an equivalent.

synsei
06-01-2014, 12:27
probably a Friday machine!! However, I assume you can just reverse the first set of leads at the analogue bit!!?

Hi Gordon, that would mean reversing the leads out of the DAC therefore the CDP channels would be reversed in which case...

Dave,

What computer is it? on Macs the audio midi control panel can be used to assign channels correctly, if it's a pc I don't know as I never use them, but there may be an equivalent.

I built the thing myself years ago Paul and honestly, I wouldn't know where to begin as I have forgotten so much it is scary... :( It is a Win 7 PC and the mobo is an Asus P5Q SE IIRC. The coaxial digital port is on the mobo.

Macca
06-01-2014, 12:49
If it was working fine up til now then you must have changed something - have you fiddled with the audio settings recently? I'm guessing you've tried turning it off and turning it back on again ;)

This is why I don't fancy computer audio - computers have a nasty habit of suddenly doing things differently even when you have not touched anything. Then it's tedious hours spent sorting it out.

synsei
06-01-2014, 12:58
If it was working fine up til now then you must have changed something - have you fiddled with the audio settings recently? I'm guessing you've tried turning it off and turning it back on again ;)

This is why I don't fancy computer audio - computers have a nasty habit of suddenly doing things differently even when you have not touched anything. Then it's tedious hours spent sorting it out.

I have a rather embarrassing admission to make, I think it has been like this for a very long time, possibly since I built the thing back in 2008 :o The thing is, I usually listen with my back to the speakers (don't ask, please) so of course the channels sound correct in this orientation, but lately I have adopted a more serious stance when listening to music (facing the correct way for example :lol:) and I am listening to more orchestral music than I have previously so it is this which has alerted me to the problem as the strings are playing out of the right speaker and the brass is coming out the left, which isn't right of course.

ZebuTheOxen
06-01-2014, 13:24
Is this all sounds or just your music output?

If you can't swap the cables over physically (reading what you've put would suggest this) there is usually an option in your player software to swap channels.

In Foobar2000, the software I use,'s options there is a DSP that swaps stereo channels. Which bit of player software are you using?

Covenant
06-01-2014, 14:31
I have a rather embarrassing admission to make, I think it has been like this for a very long time, possibly since I built the thing back in 2008 :o The thing is, I usually listen with my back to the speakers (don't ask, please) so of course the channels sound correct in this orientation, but lately I have adopted a more serious stance when listening to music (facing the correct way for example :lol:) and I am listening to more orchestral music than I have previously so it is this which has alerted me to the problem as the strings are playing out of the right speaker and the brass is coming out the left, which isn't right of course.
It's nice to know our forum leaders do the silly things that the rest of us do!

synsei
06-01-2014, 15:16
Is this all sounds or just your music output?

If you can't swap the cables over physically (reading what you've put would suggest this) there is usually an option in your player software to swap channels.

In Foobar2000, the software I use,'s options there is a DSP that swaps stereo channels. Which bit of player software are you using?

It is all sounds Tom for example, if I am watching a TV show and a car sweeps from left to right on screen the sound travels from right to left. It wasn't an issue before when I was using a Classé pre-amp as I could set it via a control on the front panel to reverse the channels, so I would use that to correct the issue. Now I am using a passive pre I don't have that luxury

brian2957
06-01-2014, 15:55
Hah! You couldn't make that up Dave . I thought that I was the only one who did things like that . Lately I've been throwing out the teaspoon and keeping the teabag :) Might as well start the year as we mean to go on eh ?

synsei
06-01-2014, 15:57
Hah! You couldn't make that up Dave . I thought that I was the only one who did things like that . Lately I've been throwing out the teaspoon and keeping the teabag :) Might as well start the year as we mean to go on eh ?

Damn, it must be catching... hehe

twickers
06-01-2014, 16:31
Thus lies the lesson to all the young 'uns on AOS. This is what you have to look forward to when you get older :lol:

synsei
06-01-2014, 16:38
Okay, so now we have determined that I am a silly old fart, does anyone have a clue as to why my mobo is outputting digitally with the channels reversed?

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 17:14
Dave,

What sound card is it, is it built on to the mobo and how is it connected to the Rega Dac?

synsei
06-01-2014, 17:22
Dave,

What sound card is it, is it built on to the mobo and how is it connected to the Rega Dac?

It is an onboard Realtek ALC 1200 Paul and it is connected to the DAC via a Profigold digital coaxial lead...

Ali Tait
06-01-2014, 17:59
Do you have a control panel for the Realtek?

You may be able to swap channels in that.

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 18:25
Do you have a control panel for the Realtek?

You may be able to swap channels in that.

Spoke to my son, who is a senior IT consultant in the media business, he says, as does Ali, that the Reatek should have it's own assignable control panel

Best of luck with it

Ali Tait
06-01-2014, 18:27
I'm no expert, just thought of it as my NVA streamer has a control panel for the sound card.

synsei
06-01-2014, 18:41
Just had a good look and there is no provision to swap the channels around :(

Ali Tait
06-01-2014, 18:44
Just swap the analogue outs from the dac then?

synsei
06-01-2014, 18:53
If I did that I'd then have the same problem with the CDP... :eyebrows:

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 19:03
There is also a "Sound" control panel in windows IIRC, can you assign channels there? Sorry to say this but this is why I use Macs

synsei
06-01-2014, 19:12
IIRC Asio4All sidesteps the windows Mixer, even so there is nothing there to control channel output other than a balance control :(

I am beginning to suspect the mobo is at fault and that it hasn't been built correctly... :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
06-01-2014, 19:15
If I did that I'd then have the same problem with the CDP... :eyebrows:

Sure you don't already and haven't noticed? :D

Macca
06-01-2014, 19:16
swap the speaker leads round at the amplifier, plug your TT in the wrong way and bob's yer mother's brother.

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 19:19
IIRC Asio4All sidesteps the windows Mixer, even so there is nothing there to control channel output other than a balance control :(

I am beginning to suspect the mobo is at fault and that it hasn't been built correctly... :eyebrows:

But surely the signal is in the digital domain up until it reaches your DAC, so all that is being processed is a string of ones and zeros. Anty hardware problem that would swap channels would have to occur in the analogue domain. It has to be a software problem in my opinion.

synsei
06-01-2014, 19:34
swap the speaker leads round at the amplifier, plug your TT in the wrong way and bob's yer mother's brother.

Surely there will still be an issue with the CDP if I do that? ;)

synsei
06-01-2014, 19:38
But surely the signal is in the digital domain up until it reaches your DAC, so all that is being processed is a string of ones and zeros. Anty hardware problem that would swap channels would have to occur in the analogue domain. It has to be a software problem in my opinion.

Now you see my confusion? If it is a software problem then it is beyond my skills to diagnose, hopefully someone who is more clued up than I will be along shortly to throw some light on this :eyebrows:

RMutt
06-01-2014, 19:48
Do you have Realtek HD Audio Manager? Is it possible you have it set to 5.1 and only have the rear speakers ticked? I don't know how it does its virtual surround effects so just a suggestion.

walpurgis
06-01-2014, 19:49
Perhaps downloading the latest MB bios updates from ASUS might help? There may be an existing error to correct.

synsei
06-01-2014, 19:51
Perhaps downloading the latest MB bios updates from ASUS might help? There may be an existing error to correct.

Tried that Geoff, I have the latest revision already and that dates from 2010... :eyebrows:

synsei
06-01-2014, 19:55
Do you have Realtek HD Audio Manager? Is it possible you have it set to 5.1 and only have the rear speakers ticked? I don't know how it does its virtual surround effects so just a suggestion.

Yes Andrew but Asio4All bypasses this I believe, basically the digital signal is pumped straight out the back of the machine and is exclusively handled by Asio4All, at least I think that is how it is supposed to work. We are fast approaching the limits of my technical knowledge here btw... :D

Macca
06-01-2014, 19:57
Surely there will still be an issue with the CDP if I do that? ;)

Connect that via analogue direct to the pre-amp. The wrong way around of course. I'm guessing you run it through the DAC but I'm sure that slight sacrifice in SQ (if there is one) is worth avoiding a computer rebuild.

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 19:58
Just a thought, is there a MIDI control panel in windows? AudioMIDI is the CP in Mac OS that controls assignment of channels.

RMutt
06-01-2014, 20:06
Yes Andrew but Asio4All bypasses this I believe, basically the digital signal is pumped straight out the back of the machine and is exclusively handled by Asio4All, at least I think that is how it is supposed to work. We are fast approaching the limits of my technical knowledge here btw... :D

In that case have you tried turning your computer upside down.

synsei
06-01-2014, 20:11
Connect that via analogue direct to the pre-amp. The wrong way around of course. I'm guessing you run it through the DAC but I'm sure that slight sacrifice in SQ (if there is one) is worth avoiding a computer rebuild.

Actually I have been thinking about replacing this machine for a while now and when Gaz (Gazjam) reads the PM I sent him a couple of days ago I will seek his advice and perhaps ask him to build a new machine for me. This one is my old gaming rig built into an Antec gaming case and it is a bit of a whopper, I'd like something smaller which could sit in my rack if possible and preferably built around a Raspberry Pi although I am open to other suggestions as long as I don't need a mortgage to accomplish my goal... :)

Just a thought, is there a MIDI control panel in windows? AudioMIDI is the CP in Mac OS that controls assignment of channels.

I haven't a clue Paul... :eyebrows:

synsei
06-01-2014, 20:13
In that case have you tried turning your computer upside down.

Now there's a thought... :rfl:

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 20:35
You could try searching for it, or better still buy a Mac ;)

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 20:48
I use one of THESE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac-Mini-160GB-2GB-Desktop-PC-Tower-Computer-Core-Duo-Grade-A-A1176-/171134541976?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Desktops_CV&hash=item27d869e098), with an externalHDD for the files.

synsei
06-01-2014, 21:01
I use one of THESE (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apple-Mac-Mini-160GB-2GB-Desktop-PC-Tower-Computer-Core-Duo-Grade-A-A1176-/171134541976?pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Desktops_CV&hash=item27d869e098), with an externalHDD for the files.

That is very good value Paul and something to ponder on. I note that there is no digital coax RCA though which would be a problem for me as I much prefer the sound of the Rega DAC using this input... :eyebrows:

brian2957
06-01-2014, 21:20
Hope Gary can help Dave . I've been using the server which he built for me for 18 months now without a hitch http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?18860-My-new-music-server&highlight=music+server
I've upgraded JRiver a couple of times and made a couple of changes to my system but the server remains . It's very reliable and sounds fantastic to me .

PaulStewart
06-01-2014, 21:29
I use the optical out via a good quality glass toslink cable and it sounds really good using iTunes with Tune Up.... Still prefer analogue though :lol:

ZebuTheOxen
06-01-2014, 23:58
Hi Dave, which player software are you using?

Sorry in advance if you've already mentioned it, it's been a busy couple of weeks! :)

synsei
07-01-2014, 00:04
I use Foobar2000 to play my music files but I listen to music on Spotify mostly therefore any solution involving Foobar will only solve the problem for that player ;)

Welder
07-01-2014, 18:48
Are you using ASIO4all?

If yes, have you correctly assigned the output channels?
You need to do this for both foobar and ASIO4all.

You can check in foobar/preferences/output.

synsei
07-01-2014, 18:51
Are you using ASIO4all?

If yes, have you correctly assigned the output channels?
You need to do this for both foobar and ASIO4all.

You can check in foobar/preferences/output.

I am a numpty, I am using Wasapi not A4A... :doh:

kenworthy100
07-01-2014, 18:59
Out of interest if you connect your computer to your dac via usb are the channels also reversed?

synsei
07-01-2014, 19:01
Out of interest if you connect you computer to your dac via usb are the channels also reversed?

No I haven't actually John, good call. Can't do it tonight as I am busy but will give it a go tomorrow morning ;)