PDA

View Full Version : FLAC in iTunes

webby
10-06-2009, 13:36
I've read in various threads how iTunes can not play FLAC. However, there is a little hack that will enable you to do this. I used it when I download Radiohead's In Rainbows in FLAC.

I'm not at my mac right now so I'll post more later.

Oh what a tease Webby!

webby
10-06-2009, 13:41
Oh, I remember. Fluke.

An iddy bit of mac software.

Beechwoods
10-06-2009, 18:19
FLAC previews natively in the Finder now, can't remember when they bought that in but it's bloody useful!

twelvebears
10-06-2009, 18:50
I couldn't be bothered with FLUKE, but then I didn't have many FLAC files so I just converted to Apple Lossless using XLD

SteveW
10-06-2009, 19:19
Funny...downloaded a load of Flac files recently and been burning them to CD via Toast Titanium.
..and then was frustrated that I couldn't use my ipod touch to play through itunes and I remembered Fluke. So have been playing through the kitchen system tonight..sounds OK.
Although the files on itunes show up as quick time movie files. I'm guessing they are converted??

twelvebears
10-06-2009, 19:40
My understanding is that Fluke doesn't actually convert the files (why it works instantly) but tricks iTunes into thinking they are are a supported format (hence visible in the iTunes library) but plus them using the appropriate FLAC codec which iTunes lacks.

Beechwoods
10-06-2009, 22:21
Funny...downloaded a load of Flac files recently and been burning them to CD via Toast Titanium.

It's great with standard 16 bit 44.1 khz FLAC's but be careful with 48khz FLAC files burning to CD with Toast. While it appears to get on with the job (converting to 16/44.1 wav on the fly) I've found the burns I've done are crackly for want of a better word. I now convert from FLAC to WAV outside Toast using XLD or SoundGrinder and then burn the WAVs. It seems that Toast's decoder is a bit flakey.

lovejoy
16-06-2009, 12:02
Also be warned that if you have any 24-bit FLACs and you convert them to ALAC, you'll never be able to reconvert them to another format and keep the 24-bit information. You can only convert back to 16-bit. I suspect that the conversion to ALAC in the first place drops it to 16-bit, even though looking at the file info will tell you that it's still 24-bit.

I learned this the hard way.