PDA

View Full Version : Advice on power amp hook up

vouk
04-01-2014, 06:01
Good morning all,

I was wondering if you guys could help me out on this one:
I am currently running two power amps off my pre, all through balanced connections. Now, I can get a really good deal on a Audio Analogue Maestro Reference Pre which, however, has one set of XLR and one set of RCA outputs respectively. Would it be a problem, or detrimental to the sound, if I hooked my power amps using different connections, ie one through XLR and one through RCA? Need to move fast so any input would be really appreciated!
Cheers
John

StanleyB
04-01-2014, 06:42
The XLR output signal is likely to be twice that of the RCA output if it is a true balanced output. But you could a RCA splitter cable to get two RCA outputs.

vouk
04-01-2014, 07:02
The XLR output signal is likely to be twice that of the RCA output if it is a true balanced output. But you could a RCA splitter cable to get two RCA outputs.

The output seems to be a true balanced one (I think) - so assuming I get this RCA splitter, how would the connections work?
This is the back of the pre: http://audioanalogue.com/maestro-stereo-line-preamplifier-se--P48.html
And the power amp(s):http://audioanalogue.com/donizetti-cento-rev20-P18.html

Would using RCA splitters be a problem? This would really be a stop gap thing as I will be upgrading the power amps in a year or so.
Cheers
J.

StanleyB
04-01-2014, 07:17
According to the pictures on the back of the pre-amp you have two RCA outputs on each channel. So there is no problem that I can see. No splitter cable required. Even on the XLR side you can drive two power amps.

vouk
04-01-2014, 07:26
According to the pictures on the back of the pre-amp you have two RCA outputs on each channel. So there is no problem that I can see. No splitter cable required. Even on the XLR side you can drive two power amps.

Hate to be a nuisance and this is probably embarrassing but where are these double outputs? I can only see the XLR ones (marked as no 1) and the RCA (number 2). Have I got it wrong?
Big thanks for all the help so far!

vouk
04-01-2014, 08:04
Strike my last - :o I see the two sets of RCA outputs.
Cheers for the help.

StanleyB
04-01-2014, 08:07
Let's go back to the beginning. After magnifying the picture it appears that some of the outputs are for TAPE. So they won't be variable.
If you got two power amps then each one needs a single audio input. One is Left and one is Right. But I assume that you wish to use both channels on each power amp. The amps have no mono/stereo switch after all. If that is the case then you are going to need a pair of RCA splitters. On the splitter each L and R output is split in two. So you connect each of the Left output from the splitter to each one of the amps, and do the same for the Right output from the splitter.

Stratmangler
04-01-2014, 08:09
Strike my last - :o I see the two sets of RCA outputs.
Cheers for the help.

I see 1 left, 1 right and 1 mono subwoofer feed on the left channel.

vouk
04-01-2014, 08:17
I see 1 left, 1 right and 1 mono subwoofer feed on the left channel.

Let's see if I got this right:
Outputs marked as number 2 and 3 (far bottom left and right) are RCA outputs - 2 sets.
There is a separate single RCA output (mono) at top right corner.

Stratmangler
04-01-2014, 08:22
Let's see if I got this right:
Outputs marked as number 2 and 3 (far bottom left and right) are RCA outputs - 2 sets.
There is a separate single RCA output (mono) at top right corner.

3 quite clearly has "Tape Out" marked up on it.
It is not a line out with volume control.

vouk
04-01-2014, 08:25
3 quite clearly has "Tape Out" marked up on it.
It is not a line out with volume control.

The tape out in the one just above it on either side. The markings are set on the bottom of each respective output.Go figure.

Stratmangler
04-01-2014, 08:28
The tape out in the one just above it on either side. The markings are set on the bottom of each respective output.Go figure.

There are 2 tape outs, because their are 2 tape ins.

vouk
04-01-2014, 08:54
There are 2 tape outs, because their are 2 tape ins.

Outputs and inputs are marked with numbers - 1 (XLR) 2 - 3 (RCA); 1-5 (RCA inputs) 7-8 (XLR inputs)
One tape in (number 6), one tape out (left & right of input number 4).
I'm sure there are audible gains to having a full dual mono pre but God this is confusing...:mental:

StanleyB
04-01-2014, 08:59
If you use just one power amp then it will be so much easier. But because you want to use two amps the wiring configuration becomes more complicated.

vouk
04-01-2014, 09:01
If you use just one power amp then it will be so much easier. But because you want to use two amps the wiring configuration becomes more complicated.

Oh I wholeheartedly agree... But since I already have two power amps, it's worth the try - I will try out all possible configurations and see how it goes.

The Grand Wazoo
04-01-2014, 11:24
A pair of splitter adaptors (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audiophile-Series-RCA-Splitter-x2-Phono-Plug-to-2-Sockets-Right-Angle-Adaptor-/151103810623?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cable_Termin ations&hash=item232e7d2c3f) will be fine - it's not at all complicated. Put them into the output sockets of the new preamp and unplug your cables from the old preamp & stick them in the splitter.

Or try the cable type like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-RCA-MALE-TO-2-RCA-PHONO-FEMALE-SPLITTER-Y-ADAPTER-CABLE-LEAD-SUBWOOFER-AUDIO-/310401109848?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Ca bles_Adapters&hash=item4845590f58)

Dauntless
04-01-2014, 15:59
Hi, This is what you want : - http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/accessories

They give you a choice, balanced or single ended. I would choose which suits your system best. It depends to some extent on the input sensitivity of your power amp. Mine for instance requires 1.7 volts for full output so balanced suits best. If you do records single ended may be best.

vouk
04-01-2014, 16:01
Cheers Chris & Michael
I will be trying out the whole gamut - every possible configuration and see how it works. :)