PDA

View Full Version : Hi... I'm John from York ......

Jiltedjohn
02-01-2014, 22:18
....... recently retired, musical tastes mostly old stuff. In my opinion music deteriorated from the 60s onwards, i.e. 60s sublime, 70s fantastic, 80s so-so ..... you get the picture.
Big 7-inch vinyl collection which gets regular airplay on my Rockola Tempo II jukebox.

keiths
02-01-2014, 22:50
Hi John, a warm welcome to the forum from me. You'll find fans of all vintages of both music and hi-fi gear on here. Hope you enjoy it here.

MartinT
03-01-2014, 06:51
Welcome to AoS, John. I hope the 'jilted' bit happened a long time ago?!
I agree with your decades but there is a lot of good music on the scene right now (and a lot of crap, too). Enjoy!

mr sneff
03-01-2014, 07:39
Hi John, welcome to AOS :)

trio leo
03-01-2014, 10:15
Hi John,
Welcome to the AoS from me, what system do you have? we like piccie's here.
I'm a wrinkly, the 60/70's were my era. I've got about 3000 7" singles from that era, though I rarely play them tbh.
lots of friendly people on this forum.

enjoy your music

regards Al

Marco
03-01-2014, 11:18
Welcome to AoS, John. I hope the 'jilted' bit happened a long time ago?!

Lol... I'm presuming the reference is to the punk band from the 70s:

iN45OjB-cCU

Surely you remember the line 'Gordon is a moron, Gordon is a moron...'? I used to hear the track frequently played on the radio, on the bus to school! :eyebrows:

Anyway, welcome, John - hope you have fun here :cool:

Marco.

MartinT
03-01-2014, 12:09
LOL! I tried very hard to ignore punk and don't remember them at all.

Marco
03-01-2014, 12:17
Hehehe... I've had the music impregnated into my skull, as Del was once a punk and still has all the records (as well as the Destroy t-shirt and bondage kegs, which still fit her)! :eyebrows:

Marco.

MartinT
03-01-2014, 12:22
While everyone else at Uni was wearing bin-bags and listening to some godawful noise like 999, I was a lone progressive lover ;)

I will say that the Sex Pistols album rises above all else, though.

Marco
03-01-2014, 12:26
Lol - I wasn't much into punk in those days either, although I did like the Sex Pistols, UK Subs and Sham 69 :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
03-01-2014, 18:04
Lol... I'm presuming the reference is to the punk band from the 70s

Punk Band?
There are a lot of words could be used to describe Jilted John, but punk is not one of them ... :eyebrows:

Jiltedjohn
03-01-2014, 18:06
Yep...did a bit of Wedding DJ-ing in my time...used to play it. It either went down like a lead balloon or was the highlight of the evening (you could never tell !) Anyway, got a few bookings through it so started using it as my monicker ! Will list my system soon as I can although plainly not in the same league as some of you guys.

MikeMusic
03-01-2014, 18:10
LOL! I tried very hard to ignore punk and don't remember them at all.

There's some very good punk stuff and a big pile of rubbish too - like all styles
Remind me to put on The Damned. Cockney Rejects. Peter and the test tube babies ....
Loads of music got the punk label as it was around at the same time
The Fall, punkish I suppose, but not really
I don't rate the Sex Pistols much

Marco
03-01-2014, 20:45
Punk Band?
There are a lot of words could be used to describe Jilted John, but punk is not one of them ... :eyebrows:

Ok, but their musical style was distinctly influenced by the (commercial) punk sound of the time. Look at the date the single was out: 1978...

Says it all! ;)

Marco.

Marco
03-01-2014, 20:48
Yep...did a bit of Wedding DJ-ing in my time...used to play it. It either went down like a lead balloon or was the highlight of the evening (you could never tell !) Anyway, got a few bookings through it so started using it as my monicker ! Will list my system soon as I can although plainly not in the same league as some of you guys.

No worries, John. Worry not, there are no snobs here, so we always enjoy seeing other people's systems, regardless of what they consist of!

Thought I was right with the JJ thing :eyebrows:

Marco.

NRG
04-01-2014, 00:41
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/bg_hits/bg_hits_78.html :eyebrows:

StanleyB
04-01-2014, 09:15
Going by the punk bands recollected so far does that mean I am the only one who enjoyed Souxsie and the Banshees or Xray Specs?

MikeMusic
04-01-2014, 09:59
Going by the punk bands recollected so far does that mean I am the only one who enjoyed Souxsie and the Banshees or Xray Specs?
Liked about half of S & thr Banshees. Not so keen on Xray Specs.
Crass anyone ?

Marco
04-01-2014, 11:57

No, I liked those, too (and probably some others I've forgotten about)!

Marco.

StanleyB
04-01-2014, 12:30
Just checking if we were inhaling the same kind of smoke.

archiesdad
04-01-2014, 16:34
Howdy and welcome.

MartinT
04-01-2014, 23:28

I liked Siouxsie.

Stratmangler
05-01-2014, 02:10
Ok, but their musical style was distinctly influenced by the (commercial) punk sound of the time. Look at the date the single was out: 1978...

Says it all! ;)

Marco.

Punk was pretty well buried by then.
Sultans of Swing was released second time around, and this time it hit big style.
Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick was another monumental hit from that year too.

Stratmangler
05-01-2014, 02:13
BTW, hi John.
Jukebox?
Sounds interesting to say the least.

Jiltedjohn
05-01-2014, 14:24
Oh yes....my pride & joy....stroke it every night before I go to bed !

Marco
05-01-2014, 14:50
Punk was pretty well buried by then.

Well, I've just consulted Del (who was seriously into punk then, hard-core stuff and some mainstream) and, essentially, she says you're talking pish! :D

She says that if you mean hard-core punk, as in the stuff that was out when punk first came onto the scene, then perhaps, but there was still plenty commercial punk music around in 1978.

From my own experience, I would agree.

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
05-01-2014, 15:01
Well, I've just consulted Del (who was seriously into punk then, hard-core stuff and some mainstream) and, essentially, she says you're talking pish! :D

She says that if you mean hard-core punk, as in the stuff that was out when punk first came onto the scene, then perhaps, but there was still plenty commercial punk music around in 1978.

From my own experience, I would agree.

Marco.
I'm pleased to say that I managed avoid the whole punk scene as I was busy working towards my bankruptcy. There was however, the one song that the two brats (no longer connected!!) used to play as often as possible........... I wonder if you can guess what it was???

'Gordon is a mormon' I think it went.........

pjdowns
10-01-2014, 23:47
Hi John and welcome to the forum :)