PDA

View Full Version : GAS Sleeping Beauty cartridge: Replacement stylus?

elner
27-12-2013, 14:39
I am a new member, and I'm starting with a question.

I am one of the many enthusiasts refurbishing an old turntable and tonearm. In my case it's a Thorens TD124 MkII and an SME 3012 series 2. I bought these in the mid-seventies and started the rebuild project about two years ago, soon after retiring. Enjoyed it very much and tried to extend it as long as possible! I'm now at the final stage which is the cartridge. Originally I had a Shure (MM) cart but this separated into two pieces. Also I wanted to change to a MC cart. I now have a GAS Sleeping Beauty and am still waiting to hear it for the first time. Also purchased a Vista Audio Phono-1 MkII phono amp.

I have a couple of questions please:

1. Does anyone know of someone who can replace the stylus on the Sleeping Beauty? Mine has a Shibata stylus (white cover). I believe the cart is similar to the Coral 777EX and SAE 1000E.
2. Do I need to remove the white rubber/plastic cover that is over the rear of the stylus?

Thanks in advance for your help!:scratch:

DSJR
27-12-2013, 16:03
Welcome - the forum police may well want some more info about you, the music you like and the gear you use (how you got there, that sort of thing) :)

My first port of call regarding retips is Expert Styli, who are extremely overworked but long established at what they do. As well as re-tipping old classics like yours, they offer good generic replacements for thing like Shures and still manufacture the A&R P77 styli I believe, and at not silly prices either.

I also understand Goldring offer a good retipping service (YNWOAN Mark had a Troika done by them earlier this year I believe), although I have no experience of them in this capacity. Same goes for Northwest Analogue who posts here and they offer all sorts of cantilever/diamond combinations to suit.

Will
27-12-2013, 17:41
The Coral is very good sounding..if you like a smooth natural Alnico sounding cartridge:)
in the USA it was the GAZ Sleeping Beauty. I would go with a ellip. retip.

pjdowns
27-12-2013, 18:28
Hi Elner and welcome to the forum :)

MartinT
28-12-2013, 15:24
Hello Elner and welcome to AoS. Dom of this parish provides a re-tipping service.

elner
07-01-2014, 11:37
Thanks for your useful information, Dave. I will contact the companies you list.

elner
07-01-2014, 11:44
Thanks, Martin. Please would you provide contact information for Dom. If he's in Basingstoke, that's not far from me.

MartinT
07-01-2014, 13:19
Thanks, Martin. Please would you provide contact information for Dom. If he's in Basingstoke, that's not far from me.

Dominic Harper (also his AoS username) of Northwest Analogue. Not near Basingstoke, unfortunately.

http://www.northwestanalogue.com/cartridge-repairs.html

Marco
07-01-2014, 18:00

Hi Elner, welcome to AoS! :)

Basingstoke near Dorset? That was a new one on me, until I looked! Around 73 miles, according to Google maps...

Martin, I'm surprised Ruth and you don't go there sometimes for a day out, especially in the summer. Or maybe you do? We've driven further than that to go for a curry (whenever we go up to Bradford, where there are some rather amazing ones) :eyebrows:

Marco.

MartinT
07-01-2014, 19:05
Basingstoke near Dorset?

They're in Lancashire :scratch:

Regarding Dorset, I know it well and we do indeed venture there occasionally. I used to keep my powerboat in Portland near Weymouth and loved that piece of coastline (except when the sea was rough, when it could be very scary).

Marco
07-01-2014, 19:31
They're in Lancashire :scratch:

Soz, you've lost me - who's in Lancashire?

Regarding Dorset, I know it well and we do indeed venture there occasionally. I used to keep my powerboat in Portland near Weymouth and loved that piece of coastline (except when the sea was rough, when it could be very scary).

Sounds great! Do you still have the boat? :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
07-01-2014, 21:30
NWA dude.

Marco
07-01-2014, 21:33
Ah yes, one minute we were talking about Basingstoke and Dorset, next Lancashire, so it threw me!

Hey, you could always make a real day of it and go there via Dunfermline... :D

Marco.

Ali Tait
07-01-2014, 21:43
Aye, ye need to soak in some culture.

MartinT
08-01-2014, 07:00
Sounds great! Do you still have the boat? :)

No, it was sold as part of my divorce. The next time I buy a powerboat it will be a deck boat as I don't want the cabin gubbins and heavy boats are seriously expensive to run (the 220l tank was good for two trips to the Isle of Wight).

pjdowns
10-01-2014, 23:47
Hi Elner and welcome to the forum :)