PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 125: 24.12.2013: Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons (2002)

Album Club
24-12-2013, 09:29
This week is the last offering from the current round of Album Club. Thanks to Paul (pj downs) for choosing the album for Christmas Eve 2013.
Remember if you want to vote, then please listen to the album in full first and please join in with the discussion.

Lemon Jelly – Lost Horizons (2002)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/pjdowns/LemonJellyLostHorizons26506_f_zps98ba1304.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/pjdowns/media/LemonJellyLostHorizons26506_f_zps98ba1304.jpg.html )

spotify:album:4KyBnir8GnBw6MGD7tufOz

I have chosen the album Lost Horizons from 2002.
This is the first album from an English ‘Downtempo’ group, Lemon Jelly with standout track ‘Nice Weather for Ducks’
Whatever day I’m having, by putting on Lemon Jelly, I find my day improves…partially due to me finding their music and lyrics hilarious. For me, an uplifting and entertaining group.

Great music with that all important ‘Fun Factor’!

You can find Lemon Jelly’s Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_Jelly
Their website is http://www.lemonjelly.ky

John
24-12-2013, 10:33
Cheers Paul
Not something I would usually listen too but did enjoy the humour very chilled out and found I lost my attention a bit
I am going to give it a 4

johnB
24-12-2013, 10:51
However one feels about the music of this band, the artwork on the LPs is brilliant.....

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/image_zps55e8c572.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/image_zps55e8c572.jpg.html)

The Grand Wazoo
24-12-2013, 11:23
I played this earlier when I was Album Club doing something or other on AoS. It's an album that was recommended to me earlier this year by another member, so I have a copy. However, I have to admit to only having played it three or four times. It's quite enjoyable, but I think it will need a few more plays before I can vote properly. At the moment, it's looking like a 5 or so.

pjdowns
24-12-2013, 22:26
I like this album because it is chilled but also has the humour factor...

Pete The Cat
27-12-2013, 20:22
Familiar yet fresh, simplistic yet clever, relaxing and uplifting. I keep coming back to this one. Never did suss the alleged acronym in "Ramblin' Man" (something to do with Bagpuss I believe) but it's still a standout track. A firm 8.

Pete

Barry
27-12-2013, 21:38
An interesting choice. I'm somewhat ambivalent towards Lemon Jelly: their use of sampling is imaginative and clever, yet the overall outcome can often be simplistic, if not trite.

Can't say I find any of it humerous (apart from William Shatner's voice in another Lemon Jelly disc: " '69 - '74 ") and the track "Nice Weather for Ducks" is childish and irritating. My favourite tracks from this album are "Ramblin' Man" (and no, I didn't spot the hidden acronym either, but why should I?) and "The Curse of Ka'Zar".

Curiously I find overall 'Lost Horizons' to have a slightly creepy and sinister undertone to it - probably just me.

6/10

losenotaminute
30-12-2013, 09:16
I've just voted 7. I really liked Space Walk and Ramblin' Man, love the humour and quirkiness generally. Fantastic artwork on the album covers.

Lawrence

Bazil
30-12-2013, 19:04
Very good, really enjoyed it 8/10

pjdowns
30-12-2013, 21:19
Thanks all, it's a great album :)

Audio Al
31-12-2013, 13:21
:scratch:

I did as requested and listened to the album

Sorry Paul this is total pants for me , maybe I am narrow minded but boy what a load of tosh

2 out of 10 for the artwork

Sorry :(

high.spirits
01-01-2014, 12:36
Thanks for your suggestion Paul, good to hear different artists.

Not my usual listen and the tracks tended to be a bit long and repetitive, so I lost interest.
However depending on mood, it was a 7/10 for its relaxing powers....

pjdowns
01-01-2014, 19:26
Thanks for your suggestion Paul, good to hear different artists.

Not my usual listen and the tracks tended to be a bit long and repetitive, so I lost interest.
However depending on mood, it was a 7/10 for its relaxing powers....

Thanks Martin, I agree on the relaxing elements, good ay!

pjdowns
01-01-2014, 19:27
:scratch:

I did as requested and listened to the album

Sorry Paul this is total pants for me , maybe I am narrow minded but boy what a load of tosh

2 out of 10 for the artwork

Sorry :(

Fair enough Al, can't please everyone :)

Thing Fish
01-01-2014, 20:44
I have always liked this album. Played it a lot during my herb sampling days.:) 9/10

loo
01-01-2014, 22:59
I have always liked this album. Played it a lot during my herb sampling days.:) 9/10
could see a sales revival in Colorado :eyebrows:
I liked this I'm not a massive Lemon jelly fan and rarely listen to their music , but I really enjoyed pottering around listening to this ,
7/10 from me
Paul

MartinT
07-01-2014, 06:38
There's very little for me to hold onto here. Some of it is plain irritating. I did try but I'm afraid it's only a 4/10 from me.

Alex_UK
07-01-2014, 12:03
A staple album in my house, certainly one of the top 50 or so downtempo albums I play regularly. (Especially"Ducks" which the kids love!) It gets an 8.

Curiously I find overall 'Lost Horizons' to have a slightly creepy and sinister undertone to it - probably just me.

I tend to agree Barry, especially "Experiment Number Six" which is genuinely creepy!

Dynamics
25-04-2017, 19:13
A staple album in my house, certainly one of the top 50 or so downtempo albums I play regularly. (Especially"Ducks" which the kids love!) It gets an 8.

I tend to agree Barry, especially "Experiment Number Six" which is genuinely creepy!

A great album of chill out music utilising youthful and childish playfulness in the sound and sampling like on 'music for ducks' and 'ramblin man'. For anyone who likes electronic music, and chill out genres, this is a very original and special stand out concept type album for me. Even though it's old now. A must have.

It infuses skippy beat electronica with jazz basslines and instruments, with instruments often sampled into pleasing sounds like on 'closer' with the starting piano comes in. In builds with a lovely goovey bassline coming in a repetitive sampled vocal which on top of everything else put together just creates a wonderfully pleasing and rhymic whole.

'Ramblin man' is another track which builds with the sampling and the song is structured in the same way with the strong bassline.

On 'spacewalk' the playfulness comes back at the start with the American astronaut voice and into the skippy beat sound. I liked music for ducks if not in the same way as these tracks for the reasons mentioned.

I'd give this a 8 of 10 and very nearly 9 overall. But for originality it's easily 10/10.