PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rubbish mains cable on new bluray player...

Gazjam
22-12-2013, 18:27
Not willing (yet...) to hardwire my new Bluray player to the balanced mains, so looking to swap out the supplied mains cable with something better.
DIY all my mains cables now so its not a "what cable's best" question, but one about the IEC socket on the player.

Its an IEC socket, but its not earthed, only the two live and neutral pins.
Not seen this before and I wonder if I can just use one of my DIY mains cables I have around the house.
Should I have to be wary of the missing earth pin? :scratch:

Easy enough to disconnect the earth wire on one of my cables, just want to be sure I'm doing it right.
Could always open up the supplied cable I s'pose, see how its been wired up?

thanks.

Stratmangler
22-12-2013, 18:53
You have floating earth on your player on your Bluray player, and it's very common with domestic audio and AV equipment.
My NAD amp has the same, as do my Squeezebox Touch, DAC, phono stage, etc etc etc ....
The casework of such equipment is double insulated.

Whether there's an earth in the cable or not is immaterial, as there's no requirement for it - there will be internal fusing to cope with any serious power surges.
You're worrying about nothing :cool:

Gazjam
22-12-2013, 23:23
As always Chris!

So just hook up the usual wanky 3 pin mains cable as usual?:)

Ali Tait
22-12-2013, 23:44
Yep.

NRG
23-12-2013, 00:41
the current draw is so low a bit of wet string would suffice! :lol:

Gazjam
23-12-2013, 07:33
phillistine! :)

PaulStewart
23-12-2013, 15:39
Hi Gary,

We have Tannoy Reveal active monitors in the edit suites which are wired the same way IECs with just two pins. They came supplied with standard three way "kettle" leads, so no problems from that respect. On the quality front, these have been replaced with quality mains leads I made up from parts supplied by MCRU. Having the chance with two identical pairs of speakers, I wired them up with identical feeds the only difference being the mains cables. We then did a series double blind tests, EVERYONE in the place could here the difference, including one who preferred the standard leads, as he said the others gave "too much detail" which he found a distraction when editing.

Gazjam
25-12-2013, 08:22
Made up a foo mains cable last night, using 4mm CSA clean copper, MK Safety plug and a Martin Kaiser silver IEC.
Earth wire disconnected both ends
Stuck a silver plated 5A fuse in there too.

Was using the supplied "piece of wet string" lead just plugged into the wall before, now the player is hooked up with a proper lead into the balanced mains/Mains filter setup.

Nice improvement... :)

brian2957
25-12-2013, 09:32
Nice one mate , hope to see this soon :D