PDA

View Full Version : Yusuf Islam... Roadsinger

Haselsh1
08-06-2009, 15:47
Hmmm… I’m not really sure how to write this mini review without offending somebody so; here goes…

I originally ordered this album on vinyl from Amazon as they indicated it was in stock and ready for despatch, however when it came to despatch, I was informed it was now out of stock. I bought it on CD.

The recording is very good and sounds very close mike’d with quite a close up acoustic and not a lot of ambient studio sound but it is of very high quality. There appears to be that common, modern trait to put a lot of compression on it via Protools and make it quite loud but it is still very good when compared to the likes of Adelle’s 19. Instrumentation is largely acoustic and electric guitars with some drums and percussion but a serious downside is a synth bass instead of real bass.

For me, the stand out track is ‘Roadsinger’ but ‘Be What You Must’ is also good starting off rather reminiscent of the Moody Blues or Alan Parson’s Project. It only looses its way further down the line with the introduction of a group of children singing. The track ‘The Rain’ for me is very controversial. It sings about the state of World affairs these days in a rather retro protest song kind of way but I can’t help feel that Mr Yusuf Islam and his type are more than a little responsible for it all. I haven’t actually noticed Christians hijacking aircraft full of people and turning them into weapons of terror and destruction just yet. It all kind of hits of hypocrisy and double standards.

So it’s an OK album but I wish I’d bought it on vinyl as the extra warmth would have added to its qualities. If you’re my age you may want to give it a spin.