PDA

View Full Version : Looking for XLR to rca interconnect...?

Gazjam
21-12-2013, 20:22
1m is fine.

Does Mark Grant still do these?

Clive
21-12-2013, 20:41
You can get xlr to rca plugs, no need for a special I/c.

Wakefield Turntables
21-12-2013, 21:04
Look on the net to make one of these up, its very simple.

loosend
21-12-2013, 21:24
Don't get an adapter Gaz, they're crap!
I'm just waiting for a set of Nordosts to be re terminated for me to use in the exact way, may be an idea to get a cable u like and get some xlrs fitted, I'm sure someone will oblige.

What u using them for anyway?

Clive
21-12-2013, 21:30
Don't get an adapter Gaz, they're crap!
I'm just waiting for a set of Nordosts to be re terminated for me to use in the exact way, may be an idea to get a cable u like and get some xlrs fitted, I'm sure someone will oblige.

What u using them for anyway?
The use is vital....xlr to rca isn't great, don't blame the adapter. What's needed for a good conversion is a tx but it must be a good tx.

loosend
21-12-2013, 21:34
Would be better yes, an adapter on an RCA bottom of the three suggestions tho

Clive
21-12-2013, 21:54
Would be better yes, an adapter on an RCA bottom of the three suggestions tho
1cm of wire, 2 connectors....it's possible to use poor connectors but this can be the case with a single connector too. A good tx is frankly the only way to retain some benefit from balanced. Any xlr to rca is throwing away the benefit of balanced.

loosend
21-12-2013, 22:15
Nut makes use of a spare pair of balanced outputs if no RCA's are available
The cables I'm having terminated are just to run a headamp off my dac so the cables will serve their purpose perfectly adequately. So depends on usage.

hal55
21-12-2013, 23:08
I use a Mogami cable between pre and poweramp, RCA at the pre but the Jungson poweramp only takes XLRs. I'll put my hand up and plead guilty to using cheap ebay adapters. It sounds damn good but I'll admit to wondering if getting proper soldered XLRs would sound better still or would the change be so subtle it's below hearing.

Hal55

Rick E
22-12-2013, 18:34
Yes

technobear
22-12-2013, 19:46
You can only use the commercial adaptors for XLR *inputs* as they all short the cold pin to ground. If you put one on an XLR *output* you may stimulate the release of magic smoke. For an XLR output you would want to tie the cold pin to ground using a suitable resistor, preferably one with the same resistance as the RCA input that you are connecting to. By connecting to an RCA in this way, just using the hot pin and ground, you lose nearly all the benefits of a balanced output. You might still benefit from increased signal-to-noise ratio but only if you don't overload the RCA input.

Gazjam
25-12-2013, 08:16
My blueray player has XLR outputs and I wondered if using an XLR to RCA cable into my amp would be better than a phono to phono cable.

I understand XLR has benefits over longer runs, but I only need 1m.
Worth trying out or just dont worry about it?

ta.

wee tee cee
25-12-2013, 08:44
Pretty sure I have a flashback sales xlr-phono. Wisnae much cop in comparison to a good MG lead but yer welcome tae try it.
Will have to have a rake in ma drawers to make sure its still there !!

DaveK
25-12-2013, 09:55
Pretty sure I have a flashback sales xlr-phono. Wisnae much cop in comparison to a good MG lead but yer welcome tae try it.

I'd be careful not to send anything you rake out of your drawers unless you're absolutely certain you have never suffered from incontinence :lol: .

brian2957
25-12-2013, 09:58
I was thinking something along those lines too Dave , but was too polite to say it :lol: Having met Tony a few times though I'm sure it's all quality stuff :eyebrows:

technobear
25-12-2013, 11:14
I understand XLR has benefits over longer runs, but I only need 1m.Only if both ends are balanced. If you've got phonos then use them. Merry Xmas :)

wiicrackpot
25-12-2013, 13:02
Is this a Scottish Mafia only offer (small donation possible if it is), i could relieve that piece of crap you got in your drawers,
don't care whats made of, all one to me, i just need another bit when i switch between my TT and C.D player,
current using one cable to my Pro amp and it's a right PITA as my phonostage is off the shelf and on the floor. :doh:

jaym481
25-12-2013, 15:10
Only if both ends are balanced. If you've got phonos then use them. Merry Xmas :)

Just to add a bit: only if the components at both ends are balanced. Just using wire with XLRs at both ends won't have any benefit if the components don't have properly balanced inputs and outputs.