PDA

View Full Version : we live and learn.....

seoirse2002
20-12-2013, 20:15
So I browsing the Bay a couple of weeks ago and spotted an MFSL copy of the Beatles Abbey Road so put a watch on it.The seller said the vinyl was VG+ so as Im not a collector,I put a bid in and won it at £25.77+ postage
Great! I thought...one of my fave albums on MFSL...
When the record arrived it was in a state....snap crackle and pop was the order of the day and horrendous surface noise,there wasn't one track that I could listen to without wincing,so I got straight on to ebay and contacted the seller who told me..."you didn't ask any questions about the sound" "and my description was visual only" basically telling me it was my own fault for not asking any questions...so no refund...I contacted Ebay resolution and started a claim and of course they agreed with me and found on my behalf,telling me to send the item back by TRACKABLE post and a refund would be issued on receipt by the seller....
This is all well and good and I got my refund.....but the only trackable method to send a record is by Special Delivery!!
at £6.95!!!!!:eyebrows:
Signed for postage is not trackable...so a word of warning to anyone who doesent know already.
I am now out of pocket to the tune of £6.95 because the seller misdescribed the item...surely that's not fair?:scratch:

Puffin
20-12-2013, 20:41
Same here. Bought an item of clothing that was "one size fits all" when it came it would have clothed an Elephant. I returned it 1st Class and only got the purchase price back. I started a dispute and got the P&P on purchase back as well, but was still out of pocket by £6 for the cost of returning it!

(By the way did you get the PM80 fixed?)

MikeMusic
20-12-2013, 21:15
So I browsing the Bay a couple of weeks ago and spotted an MFSL copy of the Beatles Abbey Road so put a watch on it.The seller said the vinyl was VG+ so as Im not a collector,I put a bid in and won it at £25.77+ postage
Great! I thought...one of my fave albums on MFSL...
When the record arrived it was in a state....snap crackle and pop was the order of the day and horrendous surface noise,there wasn't one track that I could listen to without wincing,so I got straight on to ebay and contacted the seller who told me..."you didn't ask any questions about the sound" "and my description was visual only" basically telling me it was my own fault for not asking any questions...so no refund...I contacted Ebay resolution and started a claim and of course they agreed with me and found on my behalf,telling me to send the item back by TRACKABLE post and a refund would be issued on receipt by the seller....
This is all well and good and I got my refund.....but the only trackable method to send a record is by Special Delivery!!
at £6.95!!!!!:eyebrows:
Signed for postage is not trackable...so a word of warning to anyone who doesent know already.
I am now out of pocket to the tune of £6.95 because the seller misdescribed the item...surely that's not fair?:scratch:
That is probably the best you are going to get
:(
Give the guy negative, as accurate as you can, feedback

walpurgis
20-12-2013, 21:20
I've said before, if the seller is listed as 'business seller' you don't have to abide by eBay policy. You are covered by the distance selling regs. Just use a recorded means of demanding a full refund. You are not even obliged to return the item. The seller has to arrange collection.

Audioman
20-12-2013, 21:28
Signed for is trackable. You get a tracking number and can trace progress on Royal Mail web site. Provides evidence that parcel was delivered which is all that should be required. Special delivery is guaranteed next day and you are insured for a larger amount.

I have just had a run in with a Discogs seller. £24 album described as nr mint cover and vinyl. Sleeve Ex at a pinch and vinyl has serious IGD on one side and vocals sound a bit odd as in close to distorting over much of album. He claims to have a top of the range Clearaudio on which his play grade reveals no distortion. My new AT33EV is the best cartridge I have had for minimising this type of damage. So go figure is his expensive kit miraculous or has his hearing gone? Anyway after much argy bargy he is refunding after I offered to eat postage costs. Apparently when on Ebay people where asking him to reduce price for not as described (sometimes this is a scam). Could be just he over grades all his lps?

Paul.

RobbieGong
20-12-2013, 22:05
The way sellers grade records is always inconsistent in my experience although I've generally had good experiences. I've had nm that has played with more than enough surface noise, constant ticks which I really cant abide. What I've noticed is that looking at those records, they do indeed look nm and that can often be the problem. A lot of sellers visually grade and do say so. Samely I've took the odd chance on VG++ or EX and found it to play with barely a nick or crackle :scratch:

seoirse2002
20-12-2013, 23:00
The way sellers grade records is always inconsistent in my experience although I've generally had good experiences. I've had nm that has played with more than enough surface noise, constant ticks which I really cant abide. What I've noticed is that looking at those records, they do indeed look nm and that can often be the problem. A lot of sellers visually grade and do say so. Samely I've took the odd chance on VG++ or EX and found it to play with barely a nick or crackle :scratch:

Yes,I have to say I do agree with that,I have bought records described as VG and found them well worth it,and didn't mind the odd crackle between tracks,but this one was sooo bad and MFSL as well as the £25.77 price...I had expected that as an expensive record to start with,care would have been taken with it...but not the case...:(

seoirse2002
20-12-2013, 23:07
Signed for is trackable. You get a tracking number and can trace progress on Royal Mail web site. Provides evidence that parcel was delivered which is all that should be required. Special delivery is guaranteed next day and you are insured for a larger amount.

I have just had a run in with a Discogs seller. £24 album described as nr mint cover and vinyl. Sleeve Ex at a pinch and vinyl has serious IGD on one side and vocals sound a bit odd as in close to distorting over much of album. He claims to have a top of the range Clearaudio on which his play grade reveals no distortion. My new AT33EV is the best cartridge I have had for minimising this type of damage. So go figure is his expensive kit miraculous or has his hearing gone? Anyway after much argy bargy he is refunding after I offered to eat postage costs. Apparently when on Ebay people where asking him to reduce price for not as described (sometimes this is a scam). Could be just he over grades all his lps?

Paul.
I tried to do signed for at £3.60,but when I asked the guy at the post office for the tracking,he told me its not tracked,just proof of delivery,and ebay wanted a tracking number.Apparently,its ebay who track it and pay out as soon as they see it delivered...but I will take that up at the post office tomorrow as signed for should show proof of delivery. Ive noticed lately the post office always try to charge you the larger of any amount asked for and don't give other options...they tried to charge me over £6 to send a xmas card to Ireland!!!

Macca
20-12-2013, 23:35
I'm assuming you gave it a clean on an RCM first and this is groove damage we are talking about and not just crud on the disc?

Audioman
21-12-2013, 00:01
The guy claimed he cleaned it on his Loricraft but since it looked smeared it was cleaned again on my Okki Nokki before playing. Also no sign of anything on the stylus. I can hear the difference between groove damage an any crud in any case. This vinyl was pristine clean. Typical IGD with distortion on the Orchestral /Mellotron musical peaks. It was a copy of Moody Blues Threshold Of A Dream.

Audioman
21-12-2013, 00:06
I tried to do signed for at £3.60,but when I asked the guy at the post office for the tracking,he told me its not tracked,just proof of delivery,and ebay wanted a tracking number.Apparently,its ebay who track it and pay out as soon as they see it delivered...but I will take that up at the post office tomorrow as signed for should show proof of delivery. Ive noticed lately the post office always try to charge you the larger of any amount asked for and don't give other options...they tried to charge me over £6 to send a xmas card to Ireland!!!

There is a box in the Ebay dispute procedure were you enter the tracking number on the receipt. It's the same for Special delivery or signed for. Ebay have complicate things in recent weeks in that to communicate with a seller you have to open a case rather than attempt to solve first without using their system.

MikeMusic
21-12-2013, 10:07
I've said before, if the seller is listed as 'business seller' you don't have to abide by eBay policy. You are covered by the distance selling regs. Just use a recorded means of demanding a full refund. You are not even obliged to return the item. The seller has to arrange collection.
That sounds very good Geoff.

seoirse2002
21-12-2013, 10:12
I'm assuming you gave it a clean on an RCM first and this is groove damage we are talking about and not just crud on the disc?

wish I had an rcm....but it was definitely disk damage

Macca
21-12-2013, 10:19
wish I had an rcm....

Not too late to ask Santa... ;)