PDA

View Full Version : World Audio Design Phono 3

Floyddroid
20-12-2013, 06:28
Is anyone using this device? I am intrigued. I have heard some good things about them. let me know your views.

surayne
20-12-2013, 22:48
I have a WAD Phono 2 which is meant to be nearly identical to the 3, and it's absolutely superb. A friend has the 3 and I've spent a good bit of time listening to it - not much audible difference IMHO. I see you have the Eastern Electric phono stage, I suspect they would sound fairly similar as they use the same tubes and apparently have a similar circuit design.

Ali Tait
20-12-2013, 22:58
It's a nice stage, there are better around IMHO, but it's a great stage if you can get one secondhand.

New price approaches the LDA stage, that's what I'd buy personally YMMV.

topoxforddoc
21-12-2013, 08:21
I used to have a WAD Phono 3 to drive my Deccas. Cracking stage, but not stellar like my TRON Seven Reference. It's a great choice for this looking for an alternative to an EAR 834, EE etc. Second hand, it makes a bargain buy. I sold mine recently for £350.

KC Jones
24-12-2013, 23:26
I have been using a WD phono3 for the past 4 years or so and intend to keep it for sometime yet ( I got a rare thing, a sound I really like, so I'm sticking with it) I bought when they were slightly cheeper and with most of my stuff being WD make so it suts.
No doubt there are many better out there and probably many worse. I am happy with it, but I did swap the valves out as i thought the standard 'hardened' the sound.

I am currently using a cheap DL103 into it at the mo (47k loading I think?? but don't quote me on that) and I really like the sound and have kept the cart a lot longer than I anticipated and saving myself a few quid not fretting about which MC to crash the cash on. If you can get a 2nd hand one saving youself a few quid then I believe it is a bargain and upgradeable too. Looking at your kit it should compliment but be any better than you already have, who knows.
On a side, WD kit in my humble is very good and slightly underated (not a bad thing!!)

KC Jones
24-12-2013, 23:34
good grief it's nearly Christmas morning and I have work tomorrow so, goodnight and God rest ye meyy gentlemen.
I don't believe in father christmas, I see his lies.