PDA

View Full Version : Blueray player as digital transport for CD playback into dac?

Gazjam
19-12-2013, 11:16
Anyone tried this, still looking for digi transport but would be good to have a blueray player as well.

Some of the Sony sub £200 players look good, is there a "best" CD transport that plays bluerays too? :)

ta.

Tim
19-12-2013, 15:25
I think John does this Gary and gets on rather well, I expect he'll be along later. Mark (Reid Malenfant) used to as well and was also a fan.

John
19-12-2013, 16:24
I use the Sony to run off hard drive on the Sony using a SSD and really like what I get but if using as a traditional CD player it reminds me of all the reasons why I disliked CD players before moving to files. Its a really cheap way to hear music and great to watch films with surprisingly good results

daytona600
19-12-2013, 16:28
Marantz UD universal platers are very good Gaz , you heard mine at my gaff feed into my NOS Valve Dac
also plays cd/sacd/dvd-a or Oppo are good as well

John
19-12-2013, 16:33
I had both the Oppo and Sony as a Transport in my system at the same time. If just using the USB to play files which in my view is the best way to get the best out of both in terms of SQ I could hear no difference. The Oppo is a lot better with everything else

Gazjam
20-12-2013, 07:44
Thanks guys,
I already have built a server which does the streaming and I doubt the players mentioned would be better than that.

Looking for summit to let me play my disks and Scott the Marantz sacd blurays look interesting....
Think yours was the battleship grade one, probably a bit spendy for what i need.

Any reccs on the cheaper models?
This: http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/marantz/ud7007/mara-ud7007-blk :scratch:

daytona600
20-12-2013, 13:22
UD7007 Gets very good reviews , not heard one myself but marantz always made very good universal players
Yes mine was the battleship one Gaz 30kilos but superb at spinning any disc cd to bluray

John
20-12-2013, 15:04
Think if using the Sony as a Traditional player its not that great The Marantz looks good and really liked the Oppo

Ali Tait
20-12-2013, 17:14
How about buying a BD drive for the streamer Gaz?

Gazjam
20-12-2013, 17:56
Got a blueray drive in the work PC Ali, use that for ripping to the library.

There's a 100 reasons NOT to have a drive in a server so wouldn't go down that road mate.

A seperate unit's the way to go I think.

Anyone tried an Oppo as a digi transport?
Same price as the marantz...

John
20-12-2013, 18:18
Yes Oppo good as that

Ali Tait
20-12-2013, 19:06
Got a blueray drive in the work PC Ali, use that for ripping to the library.

There's a 100 reasons NOT to have a drive in a server so wouldn't go down that road mate.

A seperate unit's the way to go I think.

Anyone tried an Oppo as a digi transport?
Same price as the marantz...

Ok no worries, the drive in the NVA works well with BD though. Take it the new streamer doesn't have a drive in it?

Gazjam
20-12-2013, 19:56
Not got a drive in it, no.

Stripped to the minimum, tweaked to the maximum :)

Ali Tait
20-12-2013, 20:25
Look forward to hearing it mate.

Gazjam
21-12-2013, 13:30
Having another soiree at mine Ali once the Edingdales are in place.
Lots of new stuff to listen to. :)

Gazjam
21-12-2013, 17:59
Buying one of these tomorrow. Job's a good 'un.
http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/marantz/ud7007/mara-ud7007-blk

Was going to go for an Oppo 103, but forum opinion (as opposed to reviews, paid for or not ;)) says audio only is better.
Another itch scratched. :)

Ali Tait
21-12-2013, 19:46
Having another soiree at mine Ali once the Edingdales are in place.
Lots of new stuff to listen to. :)

Good stuff.

Clive197
22-12-2013, 11:09
I use a Oppo BDP95EU player connected to my Cyrus PreXdQx DAC, via both digital and analogue cable. It works very well as a digi transport on CD and from my NAS but won't play SACD or DVD-A unless using the analogue output.

Mark Grant
22-12-2013, 11:14
Buying one of these tomorrow. Job's a good 'un.
http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/marantz/ud7007/mara-ud7007-blk

Was going to go for an Oppo 103, but forum opinion (as opposed to reviews, paid for or not ;)) says audio only is better.
Another itch scratched. :)

Its hard to say which has the best digital output sound quality without trying both in the same system as every dac is different.

The Marantz has XLR balanced outputs which might be useful but it lacks an optical output which some people need.

The Oppo 103 has the advantage of HDMI input you can use it to upscale another source such as sky or freeview recorder as the upscaling in the Oppo is better than most TV's at upscaling SD.

The Oppo 103 has optical output if you need it.

The Oppo remote control and media app are really useful if you like gadgets and streaming etc.

Oppo are also really good with regular firmware updates when needed and they listen and respond to customers requests for features or fixes which is always good.

Then there is the Oppo 103D with built in Darbee video processor, http://darbeevision.com/ costs £100 more at £599 but should be worth it with big TV or projector for the extra 'on the fly' advanced frame by frame sharpening effects. think of it like photoshop sharpening but for video.

Too many choices... :)

Either the Marantz or Oppo 103 or 103D would be a good choice.

Gazjam
22-12-2013, 15:39
cheers guys, picked up the Marantz today.
Had a think about the Oppo but on balance it has a lot of features I dont need or wont ever use.

Would have been good with either but the Marantz best suits my needs.
Interesting point about SACD and digital out, hadnt thought about that.
Guess its a copyright thing?

I THINK it can output SACD audio via its "audio" HDMI output, but my dac doesn't have that input.
The analogue outs supposed to be pretty good so will hook it up later and compare with digital out into the Young dac.

My last disc spinner.

Gazjam
31-12-2013, 01:06
Ah well...

the Marantz sounded great, very good bluray image quality...but was clunky as a clunky thing in a clunky competition.
Froze often, display got "stuck", intermittent connection to the network....all fixable by pulling the plug out and switching back on.

Thought it was a firmware thing, even upgrading to latest version didn't fix it.
Shame, sounded great but had to go back.

Still picking a "last disk spinner" up, looking at the Oppo now.

John
31-12-2013, 11:45
Never had any issues with the Oppo getting stuck so should suit your needs

Gazjam
31-12-2013, 12:22
Which one you got John?
How do you find its digi out compared to its analogue for music?

John
31-12-2013, 12:25
The 103 I prefer to go out via a DAC The 105 has a lot better DAC but the Sabre DAC is a bit to clinical for me.

Bazil
31-12-2013, 14:30
I've just bought (Xmas prezzie) a Cambridge Audio 752BD, everything digital in one box. It has 5 DAC's, I hook my Sony "jukebox" to its Optical In, a hard drive with FLAC's to its USB in (displays all info including album art on TV screen), BluRay playback is stunning, I haven't tried any SACD's and only use its Stereo Audio Out, it also has 7.1 Audio Out.

John
31-12-2013, 14:44
yes amazing what these players can do

Gazjam
14-02-2014, 13:15
Got an Oppo 103D.

Absolutely fantastic playing CD's, Played through the Young Dac as good or better than any cd player I've ever heard.
Limited to 16/48 via SPDIF though, so got a little box of tricks that converts the HDMI audio out to SPDIF and plays 24/192 into the dac.
Not got any SACDs yet to test it yet though, shame Bluray is limited to 16/48.

A bit spendy but the last disc player I'll need, plays movies too :)
It upscales the Tivo to 1080p and works magic on normal DVDs, pretty close to Blueray when it upscales 'em.