PDA

View Full Version : B-DAC?

StanleyB
08-06-2009, 10:02
I was wondering if that would be a suitable name for the TC-7520SE.

Covenant
08-06-2009, 13:41
I think it would cause confusion Stan. Many people refer generally to your dacs as B-Dac especially on Wigwam were your not supposed to mention your products!

leo
08-06-2009, 16:04
I think it would cause confusion Stan. Many people refer generally to your dacs as B-Dac especially on Wigwam were your not supposed to mention your products!

Have to agree there but I do understand where Stans coming from, how about giving him some idea's which makes it stand out, easy to remember and not be confused with the other versions

Will this one be released in a limited quantity Stan?

Mike
08-06-2009, 16:11
Beresford S-DAC.

trailer
08-06-2009, 17:00
7520i

StanleyB
08-06-2009, 17:43
Will this one be released in a limited quantity Stan?
If haven't given up the idea. Maybe we should stick to TC-7520 SE. I would like to have it all wrapped up before the end of the year.

Tony Moore
08-06-2009, 20:43
TC-7520 Gold.

And put some gold bits on it?

:smoking:

You can tell I'm still living in the 80's. :lolsign:

StanleyB
08-06-2009, 21:06
The buttons are gold:).

Covenant
08-06-2009, 21:21
TC-7520 Auric

ReachtheSky
08-06-2009, 23:38
Another upgrade option name.......7521, followed by 7522.....

Then when the newer "even better" psb design model arrives......starts as 7530 again.

leo
09-06-2009, 00:56
If haven't given up the idea. Maybe we should stick to TC-7520 SE. I would like to have it all wrapped up before the end of the year.

I reckon that would be your best bet Stan, I think most now know the 7520 ,at least with 7520SE your customers will know its a special edition of your top dac

The Vinyl Adventure
09-06-2009, 13:17
i think b-dac sounds ok

7520 SB (stan b)
7520 SBS (stan b sig ... Ken Ishiwata style!!)

The Vinyl Adventure
09-06-2009, 13:17
I reckon that would be your best bet Stan, I think most now know the 7520 ,at least with 7520SE your customers will know its a special edition of your top dac

realisitcly though i tend to agree with this

sponge
09-06-2009, 15:56

Sounds good to me too - Or maybe TC-7520LE - If it is going to be just a Limited Edition...

StanleyB
09-06-2009, 16:06
Another upgrade option name.......7521, followed by 7522.....

Then when the newer "even better" psb design model arrives......starts as 7530 again.
It is not an upgrade. Read the various threads. It is a limited version with some of the chips fitted that a few people would like to try out, but do not have the soldering skill or time to carry out. See the Mod Your TC-7520 thread.

Thanks for your suggestions on the name, but I am looking for grown up adult input, not childish rants;).

Stan

chrism
09-06-2009, 18:35
I personally think that it may help to clearly differentiate between tweakers zipped up models and a standard production line model by quite using different reference numbers etc. Also future secondhand buys may be difficult if the model reference is not clear. I think that this has been evident with the 7510 version ---.

I also would like to buy a 7520 but keep on waiting for the "potentially" even better model. On this basis I am continuing to keep on modding the 7510 until things settle down a bit.

Stan, I hope that you accept my offerings as a humble punter sees it.

Regards

StanleyB
09-06-2009, 19:33
I also would like to buy a 7520 but keep on waiting for the "potentially" even better model. On this basis I am continuing to keep on modding the 7510 until things settle down a bit.

There is no better model coming out. The SE is a plan to modify about 50 pieces, designed to help out the folks who want to experiment but can't change the chips by themselves.
Only the people who have registered an interest will be notified if and when theirs is ready. Anyone hoping to buy one just like that is likely to be very disappointed. I might put a few on ebay at £300 or best offer though.

trailer
09-06-2009, 21:14
I've got a modded 7510 and a Wolfsoned 7520. There really is a big difference between the two.

Dougr33
10-06-2009, 16:44
Stan, I thought there was talk of making the swappable DAC board available as an upgrade since it's so easy to swap out and reglue into place. Are your mods happening on the mainboard as well?

There is no better model coming out. The SE is a plan to modify about 50 pieces, designed to help out the folks who want to experiment but can't change the chips by themselves.
Only the people who have registered an interest will be notified if and when theirs is ready. Anyone hoping to buy one just like that is likely to be very disappointed. I might put a few on ebay at £300 or best offer though.

StanleyB
10-06-2009, 17:37
They are rolling suggestion, but as some people mentioned, there was quite a bit of confusion with the TC-7510. So I am likely to scrap all possible mods and upgrades.

Dougr33
10-06-2009, 18:57
They are rolling suggestion, but as some people mentioned, there was quite a bit of confusion with the TC-7510. So I am likely to scrap all possible mods and upgrades.

If this was an answer to my question directly above, I didn't state it well. Seems you're discussing a 7520SE that I thought included a Wolfson dac and different op amps. My question was that would this also be available as just the plug in DAC board (as it just slides onto the pins on both sides and then glued in place), or is the SE version more complicated than that? Thanks.

StanleyB
10-06-2009, 19:29
The SE is as I have described before: a TC-7520 that has had the DAC chip and the opamps replaced with some other chips a few people have been experimenting with. It is not intended for large scale sales, and neither are the boards going to be sold individually. It is only done to help out a lucky few who want to experiment further. It is an AoS project suggestion from a few people who mentioned it in the DIY projects section. It is not an addition to my range, or an upgrade to the TC-7520. Neither are any of the mods in the SE going to be finding their way into the regular TC-7520.

StanleyB
11-06-2009, 09:06
I have had a few emails asking me when the SE will be available. The answer is that I have not yet started on it. We can't even agree on the model name/number, which is delaying the start of making the artwork for the front and back panel. So at the moment it is pure vapourware, with no certainty it will even materialize.

Stan

Gazjam
11-06-2009, 12:30
I have had a few emails asking me when the SE will be available. The answer is that I have not yet started on it. We can't even agree on the model name/number, which is delaying the start of making the artwork for the front and back panel. So at the moment it is pure vapourware, with no certainty it will even materialize.

Stan

Stan,
gimme a shout if I can help in any way.

Best
Gary.

StanleyB
11-06-2009, 13:06
Stan,
gimme a shout if I can help in any way.

Best
Gary.
If you got time Gary, I would appreciate some input.

Stan

Gazjam
11-06-2009, 13:19
No problems Stan, gimme a shout.

Dougr33
11-06-2009, 14:39
The SE is as I have described before: a TC-7520 that has had the DAC chip and the opamps replaced with some other chips a few people have been experimenting with. It is not intended for large scale sales, and neither are the boards going to be sold individually. It is only done to help out a lucky few who want to experiment further. It is an AoS project suggestion from a few people who mentioned it in the DIY projects section. It is not an addition to my range, or an upgrade to the TC-7520. Neither are any of the mods in the SE going to be finding their way into the regular TC-7520.

Well, if all the changes are happening on the little board, I humbly submit that you might be passing on a nice 'feature' of your products, upgrade-ability (not just mod-ability for us crazies). I'd pay a little more knowing that in a year or two I could make easy yet significant changes to my sound. That board could be secured with velcro (for instance) instead of hot glue, and anyone could then update their StanDac. (or have it be like a little computer pc card that slides in). It's VERY environmentally cool to make things last for many years instead of a few (Stan's Green Dac)

I'm just sayin'.

trailer
11-06-2009, 14:41
Well, if all the changes are happening on the little board, I humbly submit that you might be passing on a nice 'feature' of your products, upgrade-ability (not just mod-ability for us crazies). I'd pay a little more knowing that in a year or two I could make easy yet significant changes to my sound. That board could be secured with velcro (for instance) instead of hot glue, and anyone could then update their StanDac. (or have it be like a little computer pc card that slides in). It's VERY environmentally cool to make things last for many years instead of a few (Stan's Green Dac)

I'm just sayin'.

The op-amps are on that board and they are already in sockets.
The DAC chip itself is on the main board.

StanleyB
11-06-2009, 14:56
Well, if all the changes are happening on the little board, I humbly submit that you might be passing on a nice 'feature' of your products, upgrade-ability (not just mod-ability for us crazies).
The DAC chip is not on the little board. The little board is only the analogue output stage.

Dougr33
11-06-2009, 18:33
The DAC chip is not on the little board. The little board is only the analogue output stage.

nevermind:doh: (should have know that having swapped out the opamps 3 times!)

StanleyB
16-06-2009, 08:13
OK, I think I got an appropriate suggestion for a name now:
Cayman

It's small, black, and fearsome, with many of its competitors in the food chain eager to avoid confrontation with. :eyebrows:.

Stan

sponge
16-06-2009, 10:46
OK, I think I got an appropriate suggestion for a name now:
Cayman

It's small, black, and fearsome, with many of its competitors in the food chain eager to avoid confrontation with. :eyebrows:.

Stan

Blimey, it's also a Porsche - With matching performance? - I think so...

Codifus
16-06-2009, 22:45
For this special 7520 SE verison, if it materializes, I suggest changing the LEDs to a softer, low lumiesent white, or amber.

In very low light the blue LEDs of my 7520 tend to scream at me as if they're an alien watching me:)

CD

Dougr33
18-06-2009, 00:52
Gotta agree on that Stan.. they're just too bright. Possible thoughts for future, as I often use mine in low light: 1. colors..red for power, various shades for 4 inputs. 2. Maybe have the leds be in a low power state when not selected (or even on) as a way to see the buttons.

webby
18-06-2009, 09:39
How about 7520m? The m denoting that it's the modded version.

Covenant
18-06-2009, 14:11
I think I quite like Cayman.

trailer
18-06-2009, 15:15
Names rather than numbers seems to be the current vogue.

leo
19-06-2009, 17:08
Names rather than numbers seems to be the current vogue.

Agreed! names of some other dacs out there, Monica, Dice, Buffalo,AYA, Havana,Constantine , Shek

The Beresford Cayman sounds fine to me:eyebrows:

StanleyB
19-06-2009, 17:12
OK, Cayman it is.

Stan

StanleyB
21-06-2009, 17:42
The testing has now been finalized, and the results are encouraging:smoking:. Maybe £499 would be a better pirce:eyebrows:.

http://www.beresford.me/images/shootout.jpg

Stan

Marco
21-06-2009, 18:00
Stan,

What you need to do is have your DAC reviewed in one of the more 'serious' hi-fi magazines such as Hi-fi News, Hi-fi+ or Hi-fi World, and arrange for the Beresford to be featured in a 'shoot-out' along with other DACs such as the Benchmark, above.

Any reason why that hasn't happened?

To my knowledge, your DAC has already been featured in Hi-fi Choice and What Hi-fi?, but those magazines are somewhat more downmarket, or certainly have less of an 'enthusiasts approach'. I include Hi-fi+ only in an attempt to expose your products to the people who spend big money on hi-fi and who may possibly be tempted to go for a 'giant-killer' instead of a 'renowned badge'. It's unlikely, but it could happen!

I think that if you want your DAC to be taken more seriously as a genuine 'giant-killer', which I think it deserves to be, then in terms of exposure to the press, you must aim a little higher. I'm due to speak to David Price later this week about one thing and the other, so if you'd like me to ask him about reviewing your DAC, I can do so.

Anyway, this is just a bit of friendly advice. If you're quite happy as things are then please ignore my remarks! :)

Marco.

StanleyB
21-06-2009, 18:17
What you need to do is have your DAC reviewed in one of the more 'serious' hi-fi magazines such as Hi-fi News, Hi-fi+ or Hi-fi World, and arrange for the Beresford to be featured in a 'shoot-out' along with other DACs such as the Benchmark, above.

Any reason why that hasn't happened?

I am playing my cards very slowly;). My manufacturing capabilities are slowly improving. The worse thing any successful manufacturer fears is demand outstripping production. Right now is not the time to go cap in hand to the bank to ask for financial support to expand the business. So it has to be self financing, which is a slow process in the current economic climate.

Stan

Marco
21-06-2009, 18:22
No worries, dude. Just remember that when you do decide to 'up the ante', I have a little influence in certain circles ;)

Marco.

StanleyB
21-06-2009, 18:37
No worries, dude. Just remember that when you do decide to 'up the ante', I have a little influence in certain circles ;)

Marco.
Thanks:). I was quite pleased when a reviewer told me recently that the HD800 sounded great with the TC-7520. But at £1000 for a HD800 I have to take his word for it...

Stan

Covenant
24-06-2009, 19:56
Stan,
I noticed that you have finished testing the Cayman but are still tinkering around with various other mods for the 7520. I guess you are the sort of person who is never completly satisfied but I was wondering if a few months more at the experimental stage may produce an even finer product.
I dont want to start a 'mod your Cayman' thread!:lol:

StanleyB
25-06-2009, 00:49
Stan,
I noticed that you have finished testing the Cayman but are still tinkering around with various other mods for the 7520. I guess you are the sort of person who is never completly satisfied but I was wondering if a few months more at the experimental stage may produce an even finer product.
I dont want to start a 'mod your Cayman' thread!:lol:
It's no use having a mod thread as a sticky if there is nothing to add. Or did I miss something:scratch:?

Stan

Covenant
25-06-2009, 17:37
It's no use having a mod thread as a sticky if there is nothing to add. Or did I miss something:scratch:?

Stan

Would there be any mods inappropriate for the Cayman which are suitable for a standard 7520?

StanleyB
25-06-2009, 18:48
Isn't the Cayman supposed to be a modded TC-7520:confused:?

Covenant
25-06-2009, 19:13
Just thinking about the Wolfson dac-is it as stable as the standard one?
Please excuse my ignorance but you have been critical of people rushing into mods without understanding the implications. The THS4032 for example. Many people were rushing out to fit this op-amp without understanding the need for an additional capacitor.

StanleyB
25-06-2009, 19:39
Just thinking about the Wolfson dac-is it as stable as the standard one?
Still testing and fine tuning. Now that I got a pair of DAC1's to play about with for a while, I might as well see what I can squeeze out of my own DAC that can be implemented in any stock TC-7520.

fungke
10-07-2009, 14:00
Hi Stan,

I know you've settled on Cayman but I thought DME 7520SE had a nice ring to it :)

Best,
Andrew.

StanleyB
10-07-2009, 14:20
TC-7520SE is the stock code. Caiman is the model name.
I'll try posting a pic later. Right now I am fighting with the website pages for it...

San