PDA

View Full Version : T-amp with active sub?

rubber duck
15-12-2013, 00:16
Does anyone run a TA2020 amp with an active sub through the amp's speaker terminals?

Bluedroog
15-12-2013, 09:22
I'm sure I've read you can't wire a sub up using this method with digital amps, not sure if it just doesn't work or risks causing damage but I'd wait for a more concrete response before attempting.

John
15-12-2013, 09:26
I run a Bantam via active sub but its modified so has external RCA outputs for sub duties
I did run a mini t amp in the past but had a pre feeding the sub and t amp

rubber duck
16-12-2013, 00:02
Thanks both. Yes, I am aware that T-amps have a floating ground which means they should not be connected to active subs. Just wanted to see if anyone has been able to get around this problem. Is a pre with two 'pre outs' the only solution?

John
16-12-2013, 05:23
You can just use a splitter cable or Y RCA connectors

technobear
18-12-2013, 13:57
Some subwoofers allow you to connect the ground input to the amplifier chassis rather than a negative terminal. You would need to find out if the chassis of your T-amp is grounded. REL is one manufacturer that suggests this.

Otherwise a transformer isolator is needed which keeps left input ground, right input ground and output ground all isolated from one another. I did find one before but I've lost the link and now can't find one.