PDA

View Full Version : Hum from an old technics amp

gordy
09-12-2013, 18:49
As per the title, my 20yr old technics amp makes the speakers hum, even if nothing is plugged in to the input, after reading a few threads on here i have come the the conclusion that it,s knackered! ok more in-depth, the caps are knackered, what/where are they and how do i change them. i have used a soldering iron on car electrics, but not on anything electronic. cost is an issue as it,s an old amp and not worth much. so should i.

A-- just leave it, it still works.

B--give it to someone who knows what they are doing, and hope they take pity on me and don't charge a lot.

C-- have a go myself, because i like the smell of burning, and anyway being an ex royal engineer i like blowing stuff up!!

suggestions please, brainstorming here so funny or wacky is good. :),

gordy

istari_knight
09-12-2013, 19:03
Service manual shows it to be a basic STK power amp with an opamp front end... Is the hum 50hz would you say ? If so then replacing the two power supply capacitors could fix the problem yes. They are 4700uF/42v but I would replace them with 4700uF/50v parts.

On this model you'll have to remove the top cover, unscrew the PCB & flip it over to work on it [there is no bottom access.] Its a very easy job but be sure to note the capacitor polarity before removing them... Take a photo or something. IME silkscreen's cannot be trusted :rolleyes:

gordy
09-12-2013, 21:50
Thanks for the response mr knight,
Yes the frequency of the hum is about 50htz (about the same as the hum from a knackered strip light so i guess about 50htz), not a lot of time off at the moment but it can wait, so i had better dig out my old soldering iron, would a 40watt soldering iron be ok or would it be a bit too much. also for the cap's is there any particular makes to go for or avoid, and any recommended places to buy from. I know I know, so many questions already. but the help is appreciated..

gordy

istari_knight
09-12-2013, 22:00
40w should be okay for the minor work you're doing... Just be careful not to lift the tracks. For easier removal I would recommend getting yourself a cheap desolder pump.

These are the best value I can find & would suite your needs perfectly, you'll just need to make sure they're not too tall http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-6800UF-50v-105c-Panasonic-can-capacitors-/231065317954?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Suppl ies_ET&hash=item35cc90f242

gordy
09-12-2013, 22:11
Cheers James, that was quick, i shall get them ordered and give it a go when i get a spare moment. i did google caps but the different makes and prices just confused me.

gordy
19-12-2013, 13:56
Well good news, well for me anyway,:) I took the lid off and it was a bit dusty, so i got the hoover and a paintbrush into it and it got a damn clean and inspection, I know what i was looking at of course, HAH:lol:, but i did notice the connectors from the front board to the bottom/main pcb were a simple slot and blade type and they were not sitting in square or fully, so i gave them a wiggle and pushed them in fully plugged it back into the system and hey presto, no more hum, happy days, listening to it now and its all good. cheers gordy.

istari_knight
19-12-2013, 14:12
Bonus :thumbsup: