PDA

View Full Version : Lenco - To brake or not to brake that is the question......

PaulStewart
07-12-2013, 23:35
I currently have 5 Lencos (4 GL75s and a 78) that I'm restoring and re-plinthing. When I was working on Garrards with Loricraft, we always adjusted the brakes off, mainly to stop the scraping noise which was hardly nice at the end of a bit of melodic music. Now with the Lencos the problem is there again, it's pretty easy to remove the brake spring and pad, buts what is the consensus here, to brake or not?

Cheers

Paul S

The Grand Wazoo
07-12-2013, 23:44
Hi Paul,
I have a G99, so it wasn't a problem for me but a friend has a 75 and the break was as noisy as hell. He took it off and never looked back. Another friend has one that retains its brake - he is very happy. But I can hear it making a very low level grinding noise that, for me, just interferes with every record he plays.
If I were to be doing a 75 for myself right now, I wouldn't even bother to check if it was noisy or not - I'd take if off right away.

PaulStewart
08-12-2013, 00:07
Thanks for that Chris, I'm erring on the side of taking it off and if I sell them, I'll give the brake to the buyer and let them decide. :) I have found a guy in Manchester who will make plinths for me as cheap as the guys in Moldova once you take the shipping into account.

Cheers

The Grand Wazoo
08-12-2013, 00:11
That sounds good - the Moldovan guy is incredibly cheap isn't he?

PaulStewart
08-12-2013, 00:25
Very good prices indeed, but the shipping is a killer..... I can't persuade Mrs. S that a driving holiday in Moldova, with us taking no luggage is a good idea :lol:

The Grand Wazoo
08-12-2013, 00:27
Have you got a towbar?
Stick a wheel on each side of the plinth & Bob's your Aunty's live in lover! You could balance a few cases of wine on top too!

Gazjam
08-12-2013, 13:16
Hi Paul,
bit of an aside, sorry, but you dont happen to have a circlip for connecting the idler wheel to the arm on a GL75 would you?
Refurbing my Lenco atm and when replacing the plastic idler wheel with a metal one the circlip broke.

Be obliged if you could help in any way.

Thanks.
Gaz.

Thing Fish
08-12-2013, 15:25
Brake off for me.

PaulStewart
08-12-2013, 15:33
Gaz,

I don't have a spare Lenco one, I don't reuse them anyway, I got a load off fleabay with a pair of circip pliers for a tenner and I repalcae with new.

mido
12-12-2013, 18:40
I currently have 5 Lencos (4 GL75s and a 78) that I'm restoring and re-plinthing. When I was working on Garrards with Loricraft, we always adjusted the brakes off, mainly to stop the scraping noise which was hardly nice at the end of a bit of melodic music. Now with the Lencos the problem is there again, it's pretty easy to remove the brake spring and pad, buts what is the consensus here, to brake or not?

Cheers

Paul S

No brake for me!!