PDA

View Full Version : Op Amps and CD

Haselsh1
06-06-2009, 08:30
In 2006 I imported from China an Original 2008F CD player which is HDCD compatible. The player uses Burr Brown Op Amp type OPA627 and OPA6204. Now I'm beginning to get the idea that these may be changed to alter the sound somewhat.

Can anyone offer any advice on swapping Op Amps...? Of course, none of this will take place unless the present ones are socketed as I'm not attacking my CD player with a soldering iron using my skills...!!!

At present I find my CD sound to be bright and thin and everything that people talk about when describing a typical CD sound. There must be room for imrpovement.

Primalsea
07-06-2009, 06:42
I suspect that the bright, thin sound you here is more to do with the analogue stage of the dac and the design of the anti alias filter. Sometimes the filtering is done outside of the dac with filters designed with opamps. Sometimes it is all done on the DAC chip, if the later is the case you're stuck with the filter.

Changing opamps may bring some benefits but I dont think it will solve the problem completely.

You could look into a stand alone valve buffer, Icon Audio do one but you can also buy them from e-bay etc. I would be inclined to try the Icon buffer though as you know its going to be well designed and made. This shouldn't make the bass slow and bloated but hopefully will shift the balance a little so that the mid and treble aren't so grating.

Haselsh1
07-06-2009, 16:05
Hmmm... Of course I could just spend my money on a shedload of new vinyl and get a gorgeous, laid back, analogue sound without any of the drawbacks of digital.

alb
07-06-2009, 16:13
I tend to agree with Pauls assessment. A buffer might help but a change of DAC might be the better option.

Haselsh1
07-06-2009, 19:28
The CD player does have two selectable filter options with one being sharp and piercing, the other being much more rounded but it's just so thin and bright when compared to my vinyl. I like the convenience of my CD's but the sound I get from vinyl just obliterates it.