PDA

View Full Version : Cantilever repair. Can anyone help?

Floyddroid
04-12-2013, 17:15
Can anyone suggest the best place to send my Lyra Delos to have a new cantilever/stylus fitted? Whilst dismantling my system during a recent house move a sheared the cantilever clean off. Yes, i am a clumsey git! I hive made some enquiries and quoted some silly prices, One of them getting on for the price of a new one. Can anyone help? Or should i bin it and buy a nother cartridge?:(

Ali Tait
04-12-2013, 17:49
Have you spoken to Dom at NWA?

walpurgis
04-12-2013, 17:58
Here's a link to Dom's AOS trade thead. It'll tell you all you need to know.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?11829-Cartridge-repairs-by-Northwest-Analogue

hifi_dave
04-12-2013, 18:20
Not exactly a repair but you will get 25% trade in against a new Lyra.

Floyddroid
04-12-2013, 18:49
Is that right Dave? Even with no cantilever?
Not exactly a repair but you will get 25% trade in against a new Lyra.

hifi_dave
04-12-2013, 19:03
Yes - no cantilever. Bung it in a jiffy bag and I'll get it sorted.

If you want, you can claim off the house contents insurance. So, it won't cost you much at all.

YNWaN
04-12-2013, 23:00
Yes, the trade in is just a loyalty scheme and the actual condition of the used cartridge is irrelevant.

If you really want it rebuilt I would recommend sending it to Goldring ;will still cost a minimum of £250).

anubisgrau
09-12-2013, 23:40
roberto torlai is your guy:)

chelsea
10-12-2013, 00:04
Yes, the trade in is just a loyalty scheme and the actual condition of the used cartridge is irrelevant.

If you really want it rebuilt I would recommend sending it to Goldring ;will still cost a minimum of £250).

Yes,the koetsu black i have was retipped there.
Sounds excellent.

anubisgrau
10-12-2013, 00:51
Yes,the koetsu black i have was retipped there.
Sounds excellent.

can you share what cantilever/stylus and at what cost goldring serviced KB?

vouk
10-12-2013, 04:41
roberto torlai is your guy:)

+1. Firmly recommended. Sent him my Transfiguration Axia and he quoted me c 400 euros for a new boron cantilever and an original Ogura PA stylus. He seems to have access to most available styli on the market; you could go original or try out one of his "upgrade" hot rodded options - he certainly does a lot of those, including his own line of cartridges. Great professional and a true gentleman.

NWA has a great reputation on this forum (and beyond) - as other AOS members above have suggested, you should check them out.

Goldring, for some reason, didn't want to take on the work on my Transfiguration so it's worth checking if they will take on Lyras.

Another possibility, highly recommended to me by two friends who know his work, is Axel at http://www.schallplattennadeln.de.

Hope this helps.

chelsea
10-12-2013, 11:27
can you share what cantilever/stylus and at what cost goldring serviced KB?

Will try and find out as it was done just before i got it.
Have a feeling coils were replaced.

As to a price afraid i don't know.

sq225917
11-12-2013, 08:16
Send it to Goldring, they are the Linn approved repairers and who makes Linn's cartridges for them- Lyra.

YNWaN
16-12-2013, 16:45
If my experience is anything to go by Goldring will charge between £250 and £350 depending on exactly what they do and what is fitted. I was extremely happy with the results and will be using them again.