PDA

View Full Version : Croft V Graham Slee ?

Haselsh1
03-12-2013, 17:39
OK, can someone tell me why I should buy a Croft RIAA phono stage in preference to a Graham Slee Reflex M...? Or, maybe vice versa...? They are comparable in terms of price however I know that Graham Slee goods are due for a price hike very soon which may well render them out of the running. I remember owning a Croft Micro 25 Basic in 2009 and the phono stage was barely OK so why should I invest in the RIAA phono stage...? I really do appreciate your comments and many thanks in advance.

Stratmangler
03-12-2013, 21:08
I've got a Reflex M on loan at the moment, and it's an exceptionally good piece of kit.
I'm finding myself being dragged right into the heart of recordings, and I'm hearing stuff I've never heard before in records I thought I knew well.

rubber duck
03-12-2013, 21:34
I remember owning a Croft Micro 25 Basic in 2009 and the phono stage was barely OK so why should I invest in the RIAA phono stage...? I really do appreciate your comments and many thanks in advance.

Gosh. If the 25 Basic was barely OK why shortlist Croft?

Tarzan
03-12-2013, 22:11
Gosh. If the 25 Basic was barely OK why shortlist Croft?

x2:scratch: In that case l would say there was maybe something wrong with it possibly?

twotone
03-12-2013, 23:28
I had a Croft basic pre (phono version) with a Sugden A21aP and thought it was excellent although I wasn't really into vinyl as much then.

Having said that however I hated the dual volume pots.

Tony

walpurgis
03-12-2013, 23:43
My money would be on the Reflex in a side by side comparison with the Croft RIAA. That would be an interesting little test!

PaulStewart
04-12-2013, 00:22
I had a Croft basic pre (phono version) with a Sugden A21aP and thought it was excellent although I wasn't really into vinyl as much then.

Having said that however I hated the dual volume pots.

Tony

I agree, I used a Croft with a pair of modded Quad IIs, loved the sound, hated those twin pots with a passion. If it had stepped attenuators, it would work with the extra precision I think.

Paul S

dowser
04-12-2013, 12:06
I would have recommended a Croft Pre with phono stage (I run an old Micro II Glenn brought up to latest OP stage spec for me), but if you didn't like the previous one I doubt the dedicated stage will float your boat either (probably same basic cct with improved power supplies). To my ears Glenn's is a great phono stage, you just need to worry about amplifying the signal up to MM levels if you like MC carts (I use a head amp in preference to a SUT).

Richard

Haselsh1
04-12-2013, 13:25
Yes, I have to be perfectly honest and say that whilst I owned my Croft Micro 25 Basic preamp I found the dual volume control intensely infuriating. They were so sensitive that it was almost impossible to set a decent loudness and if you ever managed to do that you simply buggered up the overall balance and so had to start all over again. I found the phono stage in that preamp only average when compared to a Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE so I kind of guessed that a Graham Slee Reflex M would be or should be awesome. This will be the backbone of my vinyl upgrade with the turntable/arm and cartridge following later next year. To go with the Reflex M I shall be upgrading my OM30 to an OM40 by the addition of a new stylus. The next series of moves will start to happen in January and I can’t wait.

CageyH
04-12-2013, 13:48
I am loving my Reflex M.
I have no intention to change it anytime soon.

Arkless Electronics
04-12-2013, 14:27
OK, can someone tell me why I should buy a Croft RIAA phono stage in preference to a Graham Slee Reflex M...? Or, maybe vice versa...? They are comparable in terms of price however I know that Graham Slee goods are due for a price hike very soon which may well render them out of the running. I remember owning a Croft Micro 25 Basic in 2009 and the phono stage was barely OK so why should I invest in the RIAA phono stage...? I really do appreciate your comments and many thanks in advance.

There are cheaper units about that will easily beat either of those options... plug plug :D

Stratmangler
04-12-2013, 20:27
There are cheaper units about that will easily beat either of those options... plug plug :D

Do you have a trial unit Jez?
I'd like to try it if you have :)

twotone
04-12-2013, 20:39
To be completely honest Chris if I were you I would just buy one, that amp, along with the new tonearm and cart, is about the best thing I've ever bought for vinyl.

I know Jez does some people's heads in with his self publicity but the amps speak for themselves, I doubt you would buy a better sounding phono stage for less than £700.

DSJR
04-12-2013, 21:36
At the opposite end of the scale, I rather liked the Puresound P10 phono stage, which sounded great with short low capacitance interconnects. price may preclude it though and no, I haven't heard the ton-up Cambridge Jez sells :)

Arkless Electronics
05-12-2013, 01:33
Do you have a trial unit Jez?
I'd like to try it if you have :)

Yes I do. PM me you're details.

Arkless Electronics
05-12-2013, 01:40
To be completely honest Chris if I were you I would just buy one, that amp, along with the new tonearm and cart, is about the best thing I've ever bought for vinyl.

I know Jez does some people's heads in with his self publicity but the amps speak for themselves, I doubt you would buy a better sounding phono stage for less than £700.

:):scratch::cool::eyebrows:

It's all the Arkless Electronics advertising budget runs to! :) I do hope though that as you say the "amps speak for themselves" ;)

Haselsh1
08-12-2013, 18:02
I have on loan at the moment the prototype Firebottle valve moving magnet phono stage which has the most astounding midrange and vocal rendition with a gorgeous treble but unfortunately, I am led to believe that it bares little resemblance to the production unit so I have no point of reference with which to make a firm decision. I am therefore considering the Lehmann Black Cube Statement and the Heed Questar MM.

Marco
11-12-2013, 07:56
Hi Shaun,

I have on loan at the moment the prototype Firebottle valve moving magnet phono stage which has the most astounding midrange and vocal rendition with a gorgeous treble but unfortunately, I am led to believe that it bares little resemblance to the production unit so I have no point of reference with which to make a firm decision.

Why does that matter, as long as you like how it sounds? If the Firebottle is *that* good, then why not just buy it, presuming of course that the Lehmann and/or Heed aren't even better? Your 'point of reference' is surely what yer lugholes are telling you right now! ;)

Perhaps the best idea is to hold onto the Firebottle, until you can compare it directly to the two others - and then make your decision? :)

Oh, and given what I've heard from his designs, I would also listen to what Jez has to offer!

Marco.

Marco
12-12-2013, 14:38
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Marco.

Stratmangler
13-12-2013, 19:34
Yes I do. PM me you're details.

I did - I've not heard anything back yet ...

Arkless Electronics
13-12-2013, 20:06
Checked inbox.... No pm..... Glitch in the matrix possible!

Stratmangler
13-12-2013, 20:50
PM sent :)

Arkless Electronics
13-12-2013, 21:46
PM sent :)

Aint recieved it..... Best send me an email. Check out website in my signature for details.

Stratmangler
13-12-2013, 21:51
Aint recieved it..... Best send me an email. Check out website in my signature for details.

That's interesting - any of the mods care to find out why PMs haven't been sent from my account in Jez's direction? There's nothing in my sent items folder either.
Both PMs were definitely sent.

I'll send you an email Jez - thanks :cool:

The Grand Wazoo
14-12-2013, 00:20
It's beyond me chaps and I'm not sure we can trace it too easily because the P in PM is a crucial part of the deal.
I shall make some inquiries.

Arkless Electronics
14-12-2013, 03:56
I've never had a problem before but haven't received either of these pm's.... email received ;)

Beechwoods
14-12-2013, 08:49
I'll have a look into this. See if there's a setting got unset somewhere.

Stratmangler
14-12-2013, 09:27
I had problems when the version of BB was updated, and the way around the problem was to delete a big chunk of PMs sent and received.
It looks like there’s still a problem with the PM system.

Beechwoods
14-12-2013, 09:27
Everything looks OK settings wise, both at a forum, usergroup, and user level. I've been able to successfully send and receive emails, using a regular account I have for testing. I would appreciate if people could confirm if they're having issues / Jez and Chris if you are still having problems / whether it was a temporary thing etc.