PDA

View Full Version : What insurance value for kit

MikeMusic
03-12-2013, 13:54
Contents insurance is up soon and I've had 'some changes'
:)
since last year

Most of the kit is 2nd hand and I paid much less than new prices.
If I was turned over and they nicked the lot, or more to the point we had to make any sort of claim and the assessor looked and said it was undervalued......

What does everyone else do for insurance values ?
Full replacement at new prices is, er quite a lot

Clive197
03-12-2013, 14:08
Insurance is one of those things...your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don't.

Three years ago we has a huge house fire and the claim was titanic. Contents included a large entertainment value which I had insisted we had increased, we completely used it up, you will never have enough. The insurance co. Included my HiFi, both my sons HiFi, radios, games machines, and two computers (a third was my wife's which was in her office and not included under entertainment).

You will need to take a view because no matter what happens, you are in for a lot of financial pain. Insurance companies are there to make a profit and my G.d they make sure your not going to.

Clive

MikeMusic
03-12-2013, 14:27
Insurance is one of those things...your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don't.

Three years ago we has a huge house fire and the claim was titanic. Contents included a large entertainment value which I had insisted we had increased, we completely used it up, you will never have enough. The insurance co. Included my HiFi, both my sons HiFi, radios, games machines, and two computers (a third was my wife's which was in her office and not included under entertainment).

You will need to take a view because no matter what happens, you are in for a lot of financial pain. Insurance companies are there to make a profit and my G.d they make sure your not going to.

Clive

In a pinch I would buy some kit new.
I'd naturally buy as much as I could 2nd hand.
'Course if it was a traumatic as your's sounds I could just order it new .........

Oldpinkman
03-12-2013, 14:29
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t582/oldpinkman/DSC_0005_zps9f6b856c.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/oldpinkman/media/DSC_0005_zps9f6b856c.jpg.html)

:cool:

Clive197
03-12-2013, 14:58
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t582/oldpinkman/DSC_0005_zps9f6b856c.jpg (http://s1315.photobucket.com/user/oldpinkman/media/DSC_0005_zps9f6b856c.jpg.html)

:cool:

Not much bloody use in a fire!!!

Clive

MikeMusic
03-12-2013, 15:03

Neighbours just turned over and their 1 Alsation was caught and tied up
I think they could manage 2 if pressed
:(

Oldpinkman
03-12-2013, 15:15
Neighbours just turned over and their 1 Alsation was caught and tied up
I think they could manage 2 if pressed
:(

Yeah - especially if they turned up with a hoover or a toddler. They are utterly useless as practical guard dogs. Apart from obvious practical issues like drugging or shooting them, one of the biggest crime problems locally is stolen dogs. That said, our local villains are primarily of Romany extraction, and they don't like dogs. Even though if they tried it on, these dogs would be hopeless, because they are out in the garden, woof when you come near the gate, and look the part, they move on to the next house and turn that over instead.

I have been burgled 3 times from the outbuildings and 3 vehicles stolen, one attempted shed break in - 7 separate incidents over 23 years here. All of them at a time when we kept the dogs in during the day.

But not much use in a fire. Just great company and great to cuddle. :)

(Did you notice, its one of those bloody SL1200's they're guarding. Did I mention hopeless prioritisation as another problem of the breed) :doh:

MikeMusic
03-12-2013, 15:38
Yeah - especially if they turned up with a hoover or a toddler. They are utterly useless as practical guard dogs. Apart from obvious practical issues like drugging or shooting them, one of the biggest crime problems locally is stolen dogs. That said, our local villains are primarily of Romany extraction, and they don't like dogs. Even though if they tried it on, these dogs would be hopeless, because they are out in the garden, woof when you come near the gate, and look the part, they move on to the next house and turn that over instead.

I have been burgled 3 times from the outbuildings and 3 vehicles stolen, one attempted shed break in - 7 separate incidents over 23 years here. All of them at a time when we kept the dogs in during the day.

But not much use in a fire. Just great company and great to cuddle. :)

(Did you notice, its one of those bloody SL1200's they're guarding. Did I mention hopeless prioritisation as another problem of the breed) :doh:

Must keep some of the evil ones away, especially being Alsations

We have similar around Chobham who have had aspersions cast in their direction
Also 2 Jack Russels and a Mini Dachs that have by their sheer presence kept one driver in his van. (It was his fear of dogs not them)

What we both need is a Collie or 2. They would take over, round up and handcuff the thieves, call the police and have a cup of tea waiting for when you return

My sympathies for the burglaries

‘Course the problem about thieves is we get used to the stooped ones.
The really clever ones never get seen or caught.
We might even know one or two and never know it

PaulStewart
03-12-2013, 22:37
in the 70s when i lived in Finchley (thatcher was my MP) I used to have a pair of Boxers, I only ever had one burglar manage to get into the house and he got away with............... 22 stitches in his leg and 12 in his backside. The dogs got steak for dinner the next night :lol:

Oldpinkman
04-12-2013, 06:55
Good dogs! I love boxers!

To give you a more sensible answer mike value high but sensible. The actual payout in a claim will depend on a fair cost of replacement. If you had a 15 year old techie with a 3 year old etp they are likely to pay for a brand new etp if your valuation was high enough but not a brand new sl1200 when you can readily get equivalent sh ones. So value the 1200 at 350 and the platter at 650. If you overvalue you will wastefully pay excess premiums. If you undervalue you may have your claim reduced below what is truly needed. Try to price what you would actually go and buy to replace it.
Tough ones are treaured gems no longer in production like the u205 or the pip. I am failing miserably to replace the former and spent 5 years on a quest to track down the man who coukd repair the latter, but probably, if I hadn't believed that possible, I would have found something. It would have been unlikely to be cheap :(

MikeMusic
04-12-2013, 08:06
in the 70s when i lived in Finchley (thatcher was my MP) I used to have a pair of Boxers, I only ever had one burglar manage to get into the house and he got away with............... 22 stitches in his leg and 12 in his backside. The dogs got steak for dinner the next night :lol:

And the dogs had a good time too !

Macca
04-12-2013, 09:49
Not much bloody use in a fire!!!

Clive

You could train the dogs to drag your kit outside in the event of a fire...

MikeMusic
04-12-2013, 10:15
You could train the dogs to drag your kit outside in the event of a fire...

You need Collies for that

Macca
04-12-2013, 10:36
You need Collies for that

Good point. They would need to be smart enough to disconnect everything first. :)

Thinking on, it would be cheaper to pay the insurance premium than to keep two enormous dogs.

What about a dedicated listening room with 6 foot thick walls and an armoured door with combination lock? I'd like to see the Romanys get through that. And in a fire it automatically fills with Xenon gas. No need for insurance and would pay for itself after, oh, about 100 years.

MikeMusic
04-12-2013, 11:58
Good point. They would need to be smart enough to disconnect everything first. :)

Thinking on, it would be cheaper to pay the insurance premium than to keep two enormous dogs.

What about a dedicated listening room with 6 foot thick walls and an armoured door with combination lock? I'd like to see the Romanys get through that. And in a fire it automatically fills with Xenon gas. No need for insurance and would pay for itself after, oh, about 100 years.

Nah
These guys would sort it.
jaLor7d7NEs

this one even better !
72yqTPYvZ0o

Mike - H
04-12-2013, 15:20
For the same purpose, how do you value your albums and CDs? a generic price of ??? per disc?

MikeMusic
04-12-2013, 15:38
For the same purpose, how do you value your albums and CDs? a generic price of ??? per disc?

Oh don't.
I forgot the cables as well :(
LPs are worth from 1p to perhaps £50
CDs 1p to £5 I guess, but which ?
This whole thing is a project all on its own
I think I'll estimate high for the total
At least I have a database to show they exist

Canetoad
04-12-2013, 15:46
A rather large taipan with a locating chip so it doesn't bite me by accident. :eyebrows:

Mike - H
04-12-2013, 15:49
I've just sat down with pencil and paper, just hi fi and computers comes to 11.7k, not started on albums, CDs and AV kit yet :eek:

Markiii
04-12-2013, 17:35
now go through that and add the contents of your shed, garage, power tools, clothes, booze

your contents insurance for a total loss, is very scary, I just did so and had to double my coverage

MikeMusic
04-12-2013, 17:45
I've just sat down with pencil and paper, just hi fi and computers comes to 11.7k, not started on albums, CDs and AV kit yet :eek:

New for old or actual value ?

Mike - H
04-12-2013, 17:56
New for old if available, things like the 401 and the speakers top recent ebay prices. My son is still living at home, which doubles all the computer and AV kit, his bedroom is quite a man cave on it's own.

loo
04-12-2013, 17:56
my equipment is covered by the contents ins with an extra cost added for individual value per item increase , they would not insure my record collection without an accessment from a independent valuer ,they arrange it and I pay just had a five year reappraisal.
records don't last long in a house fire and my record collection is far more valuable than the stereo:eyebrows:
Paul

MikeMusic
05-12-2013, 09:23
New for old if available, things like the 401 and the speakers top recent ebay prices. My son is still living at home, which doubles all the computer and AV kit, his bedroom is quite a man cave on it's own.

Whacks up the total nicely !

MikeMusic
05-12-2013, 09:25
my equipment is covered by the contents ins with an extra cost added for individual value per item increase , they would not insure my record collection without an accessment from a independent valuer ,they arrange it and I pay just had a five year reappraisal.
records don't last long in a house fire and my record collection is far more valuable than the stereo:eyebrows:
Paul
Thanks.
May have to go that route
'Course I'm tarting around for a cheap deal and probably saving £100+ on premium

Markiii
05-12-2013, 09:27
not sure if it applies to vinyl, but one of the reason I went with Platinum coverage from Privilige is they cover my CD collection for whatever it costs to replace, I just have to give them a list

MikeMusic
05-12-2013, 09:43
not sure if it applies to vinyl, but one of the reason I went with Platinum coverage from Privilige is they cover my CD collection for whatever it costs to replace, I just have to give them a list
I resent insurance anyway. Only go with it as the least worst option. All my insurance premiums have come down and now the quality of supplier is also improving thanks to pressure from Which? and others