PDA

View Full Version : speakers

radio
03-12-2013, 11:28
Hi all been a while since ive been here,update is i now am a happy owner of a michell gyro se,a trichord dino phono amp,i wish i had bought a turntable soone as i luv it,my arm for this is a OEM303 AND A ORTOPON RONDO RED CARTRIDGE,I am now going for speakers and i am listening at the moment to AUDIO PHYSIC SCORPIO11 SPEAKERS,Gary the kind man at audio motion sent them down to me,i like the sound but some cds i think sound a bit bright when it comes to the snare drum,i am hoping to dem the Proac D30R,I ALSO HEARD THE NEW Zingallis cant remember the number of them the cost £4000 but Jack would not let me dem the so that was a no no,Has anybody here heard the Audio Physic or the Proacs,my next problem is my arm is back at Michell as it was jumping and i may need to wait 2wks for a repair so i have not heard the PHYSICS with my turntable and will have to send them back soon,im also hoping to sell my Castle howards mk11 and my beloved TUBE TECHNOLOGY UNISSIS PHONO STAGE AMP,ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRICIATED PS from my previous posts i bought a new carpet for my room,THANX IN ADVANCE FOR ANY REPLIES.

julesd68
03-12-2013, 17:44
Some questions for you!

Have you tried experimenting with the placement of the Audio Physics? Have you got the tweeters firing directly to your listening position? If so I would try them toed-out a bit.

They are quality speakers for sure. I had a pair of Virgos which I had to sell because the side firing bass drivers were too near the wall. Do yours have plenty of room to breathe?

Also what is your CD player? And did you get to try the Scorpios with vinyl?

radio
03-12-2013, 19:10
Hi there Thanx for the reply,Maybe i will turn them out a bit as they are firing directly towards me,they are 13 inches from the wall i know they state 18 inches but they would be 2 far out into my room,the speakers from my wall to my seating area is 93inches my castle howards were more back towards the wall,i have yet to hear them with vinyl all going well the gyro should be up and running maybe saturday or monday,Matthew from glasgow audio is a good guy he says he will come as soon as the arm comes back to him,my cd player is a Ayon 1 and the amp is the Ayon Sunfire SE,The speakers have plenty room to breath from the side walls so thats not a problem,as i say its only on some cds its not the vocals just the snare drum my friend thinks its ok but i have supersonic hearing,Thanx again for your reply,Back to the tunes

Macca
03-12-2013, 20:33
Some recordings do have snare that hits you right between the eyes and it is nothing to do with the tweeter as almost all the repro will be done by the mid-bass driver. If the speaker has an elevated mid as a lot of small 2 ways do it will exaggerate this effect. If it is a bit too much you might try a more neutral speaker or even one with a dip in the mid range like a BBC monitor type or similar. Or get a smallish 3-way design.

radio
03-12-2013, 21:10
Hi ,sitting here just now listening to ALICE IN CHAINS BLACK GIVES WAY TO BLUE,and it sounds brilliant snare drum sounds as if its where it should be in the background and not in my face,as i say its only a few cds ALICE IN CHAINS sounds very tight and not bright at all, maybe once i get my turntable sorted i will be more positive about what to do.i will check out the bbc moniter as you said,been listening here from 4pm and played allsorts of music and must say they sound brill may be its the running in of them i also had to change my cable as i have bannana plugs and these are for spades my bannana plug cable is Hoveland Nine Line and i switched my cable to Audience AU2 SPADES which i havent really used for bout 4years so maybe its the cable,i will keep on listening and see how it goes,Thanx for your reply,M

Spectral Morn
03-12-2013, 22:25
Audio Physics used to be very hard to get working right in rooms not sure if they still follow the old set up requirements but they would usually end up in the middle of your room way out from the walls and toed in a lot.

This guide should be of help. http://www.audiophysic.com/aufstellung/regeln_e.html

Proacs are great speakers but again can be hard to set up right.

Never heard an Ayon amp but the two makes of speakers you have may - note I say may - require more drive and grip than some valve amplifiers can give.

Regards Neil

radio
03-12-2013, 22:56
Hi thanx for the link i will read it in detail tomorrow,just now im listening to Pink Floyd wish u were here and all sounds well this is the 1st time ive auditioned speakers inabout 15yrs,they are a good improvment over my Castle Howards mk11 my amp is 30 watt and i dont play it at very loud volumes ,i will get my husband to move them a bit tomorrow and see how it goes,ive been sitting here since 4pm and only moved to make his dinner he cant understand my obsession with sounds,cheers M

Spectral Morn
06-12-2013, 18:22
Hi thanx for the link i will read it in detail tomorrow,just now im listening to Pink Floyd wish u were here and all sounds well this is the 1st time ive auditioned speakers inabout 15yrs,they are a good improvment over my Castle Howards mk11 my amp is 30 watt and i dont play it at very loud volumes ,i will get my husband to move them a bit tomorrow and see how it goes,ive been sitting here since 4pm and only moved to make his dinner he cant understand my obsession with sounds,cheers M

No worries spirit level, tape measure, adjustable spanner (tightening the levelling spikes is worth while) pen and paper, and take your time as small changes in position can make quite large changes in sound quality, so make notes of the measurements relative to side wall and back and keep things the same and symmetrical.

Regards Neil