PDA

View Full Version : New one on me. An album that is both well and badly recorded

MikeMusic
02-12-2013, 15:24
Have a listen to Jeff Back - Beck Ola on vinyl

Beck's guitar is way down the mix on most or all tracks, but some of the instruments come out very well.
Great bass on 1st track 2nd side but still guitar sounds like it's in the next room
Rod's vocals usually fine
Very strange

sparrow
02-12-2013, 16:40
Its a very old album..maybe thats the reason ..I have it on vinyl and cd and cant say I noticed the guitar being too low in the mix...haven't heard it in a long while though.

The Grand Wazoo
02-12-2013, 19:36
Is this a new or old pressing Mike?
I have both an original and a recent 180g version - ~I can't say I recall noticing anything like you describe.

MikeMusic
03-12-2013, 09:46
Its a very old album..maybe thats the reason ..I have it on vinyl and cd and cant say I noticed the guitar being too low in the mix...haven't heard it in a long while though.
I have it on CD too. Must dig it out

MikeMusic
03-12-2013, 09:47
Is this a new or old pressing Mike?
I have both an original and a recent 180g version - ~I can't say I recall noticing anything like you describe.

Don't think it's original so maybe it was messed with.
I'll check details
Twas a very odd experience

MikeMusic
08-12-2013, 17:09
Ok
I've now listened to
Beck-Ola
Truth - a similar effect to Beck-Ola, not quite so pronounced
Rough and Ready - different in that everything seems about the same level and quality

Blow by blow - how a good album sounds.

My thoughts are that the system is revealing what either went on in the studio or in the mixing and remastering.

The Beck-Ola I have is a fairly modern cover, not an original, and made in France. So a candidate for being different to your version