PDA

View Full Version : Oxfam haul

julesd68
29-11-2013, 11:55
I have a couple of local Oxfams where I sometimes go to check out the classical selection. Invariably there's nothing I want, or the ones I do like aren't in great condition. But today it was a different story - lots of stuff I liked and seemingly worth a punt condition wise. So I went for the following -

Bach - Double Concerto with Menuhin and Ferras, Concertos in A & E minor - EMI ASD346
Sibelius - Symphonies 5 & 7 - Colin Davis / Boston Symphony - Philips 6500 959
Franck - Symphony in D minor - Karajan / Orchestre de Paris - EMI ASD 2552
Dvorak String Quartet 'American' / Borodin Quartet in D - Quartetto Italiano - SAL3708
Brahms Piano Concertos (2lp's) - Rubinstein - RCA DPS-2015

All for the princely sum of £1 each. They should clean up nicely on the RCM, but at that price it doesn't matter if they don't all work out. Particularly pleased to get the Bach and Dvorak as both are highly rated performances and recordings ...

dave2010
29-11-2013, 12:40
I have a couple of local Oxfams where I sometimes go to check out the classical selection. Invariably there's nothing I want, or the ones I do like aren't in great condition. But today it was a different story - lots of stuff I liked and seemingly worth a punt condition wise. So I went for the following -

Bach - Double Concerto with Menuhin and Ferras, Concertos in A & E minor - EMI ASD346
Dvorak String Quartet 'American' / Borodin Quartet in D - Quartetto Italiano - SAL3708

All for the princely sum of £1 each. They should clean up nicely on the RCM, but at that price it doesn't matter if they don't all work out. Particularly pleased to get the Bach and Dvorak as both are highly rated performances and recordings ...Some of the Oxfam shops are a waste of time, but one I use recently started doing some really good CDs, and in large quantities. Oddities, such as Hindemith Organ concertos, quite a lot of CPO recordings, some Reger orchestral arrangments of songs, and I got Barenboim's early EMI set of Beethoven piano sonatas for £5. Some of the CDs were new, and most were in very good or acceptable condition. It is a bit hit and miss though - they might go back to the sparse selection they had before the summer, though for around 6 months they have had lots of interesting stuff - to me at any rate, with lots of possibly expensive rarities. Korngold symphonies is another I can recall, plus some lovely Mozart sets - quintets on Philips, and the Talich Quartet playing the "Haydn" quartets (3 CDs for 3.99 - though clearly not new that set). That set just cycles round and round in my car CD player.

Oldpinkman
29-11-2013, 16:44

All for the princely sum of £1 each. They should clean up nicely on the RCM, but at that price it doesn't matter if they don't all work out. Particularly pleased to get the Bach and Dvorak as both are highly rated performances and recordings ...

Ah - the Bach...:)

The Barbarian
29-11-2013, 16:53
I can do the Charity shop run every weekend up Sheffield, i could guarenteed 200+ Classical Vinyl haul..

julesd68
29-11-2013, 17:43
Ah - the Bach...:)

All the vinyl came up looking as new on the RCM but sadly the Bach is warped as is the Franck ... :(

Both discs have a very 'even' warp all the way round - the stylus won't jump but the arm alignment will be out. Don't know if some serious weight applied to one side for some time could help fix this - anyone had any success 'de-warping' lp's like this?