PDA

View Full Version : So how long has Gordon got then?

Beechwoods
05-06-2009, 06:22
Decisive result for Bristol in the local elections. We've gone from minority Labour control (10 seats) to Lib Dem overall control - Labour lost 8 of their 10 contested seats and only held onto Lawrence East by 8 votes. They've been pushed to 4th place in many wards. The result here was definitely based on local performance. Education in particular was a big issue mismanaged by Labour locally. So Westminster politics wasn't being punished - the Lib Dems gained big time and the Greens failed to increase on their one seat.

It will however be interesting to watch the fallout on this all though. I've a feeling Gordon Brown is so arrogant, or out of touch, that he'd rather bring his party down with him than step aside and give someone else a chance to rescue any chance of victory in a general election next year.

Spectral Morn
05-06-2009, 09:13
Decisive result for Bristol in the local elections. We've gone from minority Labour control (10 seats) to Lib Dem overall control - Labour lost 8 of their 10 seats and held onto Lawrence Hill by 8 votes. They've been pushed to 4th place in many wards. The result here was definitely based on local performance. Education in particular was a big issue mismanaged by Labour locally. So Westminster politics wasn't being punished - the Lib Dems gained big time and the Greens failed to increase on their one seat.

It will however be interesting to watch the fallout on this all though. I've a feeling Gordon Brown is so arrogant, or out of touch, that he'd rather bring his party down with him than step aside and give someone else a chance to rescue any chance of victory in a general election next year.

We live in interesting times... I doubt if Gordon will fall on his sword. Honour is a commodity sadly lacking among most Labour politicians. It will take a revolt and a massive bloody nose in the elections and even then I suspect he will fight to the bitter end.

New Labour is finished, but so sadly is the parliamentary model in use now. The once cherished idea that politics was to better society, rather than line ones pockets....has also died for the most part. Democracy has fallen and can only rise if the majority of the public put their collective eyes back on the ball again. It says a lot about our society when more people vote for Britian's Got Talent than vote for those that run our country.

The turn out for the European elections yesterday was very poor....it will be very interesting to see what effect this has.

Rather than turning away from democracy as the public are we must all get involved and show an interest. Those in power, their policies must be made accountable. To turn away will leave a void and God alone knows who or what will fill that.....

Regards D S D L

DaveK
05-06-2009, 09:43
Who was it that said, "All it needs for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing" ? (rhetorical question). A society that doesn't care who governs them will get the government it deserves. Sadly this is an accurate description of the position we are in now, IMHO.
It is also my honest opinion that NOTHING will really change until we have a revolution - a proper one, where the 'peasants' rebel and redistribute the power and wealth. Unfortunately in the longer term this may not be a change for the better as anarchy will doubtless follow.
Another truism I'm afraid: - "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely". How many of us can honestly say, given a completely free hand and knowing no questions would be asked, would not take advantage of a situation that allowed us to set our own financial rewards and pensions, and extend this facility to our nearest and dearest? For most of us the only reservation would be as to how far we should take advantage.
Never thought I would ever think like this but the breakdown of society, as I see it, makes it inevitable for me.
And on that cheery note I will leave you to ponder on the rapidly deteriorating situation.
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Clive
05-06-2009, 10:30
Politics is just part of the problem. For sure the Labour Party would do better if Brown went now. The country may do better if he hangs on for longer which lessens the remote chances further of a Labour win. Whoever gets in is not going to be in a good situation or likely to do well.

A lot of this is also down to the type of society we have developed into.

We do have a me, me, me society. Probably engendered by the Thatcher years.

I envy the French in terms of their valuing of quality food and its ingredients, also their passion in what they believe is right (and right for the greater good, not me, me , me - though their farmers are too insular).

I envy the Nordic views on greed and in the importance of quality time for families.

BTW, there are many aspects I don't like about France and the Nordics, I'm not saying we should be carbon copies.

There are of course lots of other ingredients that could make our society better and better it needs to be. I feel our society is close to broken and we simply have a political environment that mirrors this.

Spectral Morn
06-06-2009, 17:21
I think it shows how bad things are when the countries prime minister is booed at a D day commemorative event. Happened this afternoon at the Arromanche service.

No mater what the strength of feeling about Gordon Brown I don't think it should have happened, but I could not help but feel his word were hollow especially considering the dreadful way the Gurkhas had been treated by the Labour government recently....and Labour doesn't treat pensioners very well either... His words were IMHO rank hypocrisy.

President Obama, and the Canadian prime ministers speeches were moving and fantastic IMHO. Brown's poor in comparison.

Regards D S D L

Mike
06-06-2009, 17:23
I can't stand the pompous miserable old sod. Brown, that is... :steam:

Marco
06-06-2009, 17:34
They're all numpties. Once one numpty goes, another one comes in... As the French say: plus ça change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Thank fuck I never vote for any of the buggers!

Marco.