PDA

View Full Version : Tonearm recommendations please

vouk
27-11-2013, 06:58
Good morning Gents!

I recently replaced my Transfiguration Axia with a Bluelectric Virus cartridge - this is a heavy(ish) one, at 14 gr, with a relatively low compliance (6x10^-6 cm/dyne), that tracks at 2.5 gr. While I intend to use it with my current Rega 300 for the time being, I would potentially be looking at replacing it with a medium/high mass (14/15 gr and over) tonearm as per manufacturer's recommendation. My t/t has an older Rega threaded base - so I would be looking for a drop in replacement of the same geometry. I assume that anything from Origin Live, Audionote, Audiomods should fit the bill but, as I have no experience with any of the above, any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Budget is tightish (around 400-500 quid) and would thus prefer to buy used. Goes without saying that, if anyone has something to sell/offer, I'm certainly listening.
Cheers!

PaulStewart
27-11-2013, 12:19
The Origin Live Silver is around 675 new, so a second hand one may just about be in your budget. In my opinion it is the best Rega geometry arm I have heard, it blows the RB1000 out of the water. Best thing is to audition as many as possible

Best of luck

Clive197
27-11-2013, 14:39
The Origin Live Silver is around 675 new, so a second hand one may just about be in your budget. In my opinion it is the best Rega geometry arm I have heard, it blows the RB1000 out of the water. Best thing is to audition as many as possible

Best of luck

Thank you, thank you, my purchase has been vindicated.:D

vouk
27-11-2013, 15:37

Best of luck

Cheers Paul; The Silver is def on my short (or wish) list -though they rarely turn up for sale. Is the current version that much better than the previous guises (MK1-Mk2)? Those seem to pop up occasionally in the used market.
Any thoughts on the less expensive Onyx?
Auditioning different tonearms here will be a problem...

twotone
27-11-2013, 23:26
Pretty sure there was one for sale/interest check on the wam the other day, £500 or so.

Sorry it was an audio mods arm, now sold

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?97801-FS-Audiomods-Series-V-Micrometer-arm

loo
27-11-2013, 23:52
That's a shame as I think the Audiomods is better sounding than the silver:sofa:
in my humble thick arse lowlife opinion of course
Paul

twotone
27-11-2013, 23:55
That's a shame as I think the Audiomods is better sounding than the silver:sofa:
in my humble thick arse lowlife opinion of course
Paul

There was one for sale on canuck audio recently too, same as the one linked to I think, roughly the same price.

loo
28-11-2013, 00:19
There was one for sale on canuck audio recently too, same as the one linked to I think, roughly the same price.
Nice , but if John has a doner rega I think Jeff at Audiomods could supply a new one for about the same money
with his great warranty and future proof update service
Paul

PaulStewart
28-11-2013, 01:01
I think the Onyx is a great arm and probably is better than the Mk 1 Silver. That said, I've only heard it at shows, not in my system with a chance to really study the sound. I really like OL product a lot, they seem to always give a lot of "Bang for your buck" and they produce both great detail and dynamics, a good trick for a tonearm to pull off (not a lot manage both).

vouk
28-11-2013, 06:03
Thanks for all your input gents, much appreciated.
I have been reading up on the Audiomods tonearm; the consensus seems to be a very positive one. Apparently Jeff can match it to specific cartridge requirements so that should be worth a look. Anyone knows if the price list quoted on the website is a current one?
On an entirely different note, does anyone happen to know what geometry Notts Analogue tonearms use? Always had a soft spot for that company..
Cheers
J.

loo
29-11-2013, 18:13
Hi, best to email Jeff for prices as his web site is a little out of date , he does a couple of variants of his arm now and yes he can match it to specific carts, the notts arms use two geometries the Anna has a spindle to arm hole distance of 222mm (rega) while the space arm is a 210mm distance (linn)
Paul

vouk
30-11-2013, 05:07
Cheers Paul!