PDA

View Full Version : Peachtree Decco65 ?

CM1030
24-11-2013, 20:26
Was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the Peachtree Decco65 integrated amp/dac and what your thoughts and/or impressions may be.

I'm looking for something suitable to drive my pair of vintage Koss CM-1030 loudspeakers and prefer to stream via USB from my computer to a amp/dac combo. My only other option I am interested in is the NAD C 356BEE DAC.

Thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

mr sneff
25-11-2013, 21:47
It looks gorgeous and gets very good reviews, looks like it would fit the bill.

CM1030
26-11-2013, 14:09
It looks gorgeous and gets very good reviews, looks like it would fit the bill.

That's what I have figured however I am a bit concerned by the 65 watt per channel rating...not a volume issue but more dynamic headroom as I listen to a fair amount of classical recordings. The loudspeakers however are fairly efficient at 92dB/watt.

My other option is the Emotiva XDA-2 dac/preamp and XPA-200 power amp rated at 150 watts per channel and with the current sale places these 2 about $300 cheaper than current pricing for the Decco65. Unfortunately I have no direct experience with Emotiva products although I do hear good things about them.

Clive197
03-12-2013, 17:18
That's what I have figured however I am a bit concerned by the 65 watt per channel rating...not a volume issue but more dynamic headroom as I listen to a fair amount of classical recordings. The loudspeakers however are fairly efficient at 92dB/watt.

My other option is the Emotiva XDA-2 dac/preamp and XPA-200 power amp rated at 150 watts per channel and with the current sale places these 2 about $300 cheaper than current pricing for the Decco65. Unfortunately I have no direct experience with Emotiva products although I do hear good things about them.

65watts is more than enough into a speaker with 92db/watt. The average high quality speaker nowadays are not as efficient at about 84-87db/watt and would go pretty dynamic with 260watts. Which is equal to your suggested combination.

For every 3db less efficiency you need to double the power.

Clive

jeffmackwood
24-12-2015, 03:22
The Koss CM/1030 has an efficiency rating of 96 dB SPL @ 1W @ 1m. (The smaller CM/1010 has a rating of 92 dB.)

This manufacturer's rating is supported by published test reports.

I've driven a pair of CM/1030s with as little as 15 W/ch to relatively loud and full levels. They'll also happily play with a 400 W amp and deliver tremendous SPLs.

If anyone wants or needs additional info feel free to contact me at junk666email@hotmail.com.

Jeff Mackwood