PDA

View Full Version : USB to SPDIF converters: why?

mr sneff
23-11-2013, 15:56
I've often seen it said, in DAC reviews, that the SPDIF input sounds better than the USB input, and it's suggested that a USB to SPDIF converter can improve things. Can anybody explain (in laymans terms, nothing too arcane) why this is so? Is the critical thing what comes out of the USB port on the laptop (in which case how can that be improved further down the chain)?
Or is the critical thing what happens when the signal reaches the DAC?

Lace'd Taste
23-11-2013, 16:28
Good question David, I to would be interested to hear people's thoughts/opinions on this matter. My headphone dac/amp gives me the option to use SPDIF and I've always wondered why.

struth
23-11-2013, 16:41
I think much would depend on how good your dac was and if proper care was taken to make the usb panel in the dac properly..Timing or "reclocking" is the essence of most usb async spidif dacs like the m2 hiface and the hrt etc along with the way the power is handled....
I have never tried a good usb port on a dac so cannot comment on how they fair but have the 2 I mentioned which are very good...I also have, although currently not using a usb/spidif convertor(hiface) which was excellent as well but needed a dac at the end of it obviously.

NRG
23-11-2013, 16:44
Galvanic isolation. If the DACs USB input has not been designed to be fully isolated from the rest of the DAC, noise on the ground plane or +5 line of the PC host system can find its way into the DACs analogue and digital sections. A well designed USB to SPDIF converter will isolate both ground and +5v and also incorporate an isolation transformer on its SPDIF output. Of course a well designed DAC will incorporate galvanic isolation so won't need any band aids to work correctly.

mr sneff
23-11-2013, 17:53
Galvanic isolation. If the DACs USB input has not been designed to be fully isolated from the rest of the DAC, noise on the ground plane or +5 line of the PC host system can find its way into the DACs analogue and digital sections. A well designed USB to SPDIF converter will isolate both ground and +5v and also incorporate an isolation transformer on its SPDIF output. Of course a well designed DAC will incorporate galvanic isolation so won't need any band aids to work correctly.

OK, so would a USB to USB galvanic isolator like this http://www.saelig.com/product/UBUSB1001.htmdo the same job?

Mus
23-11-2013, 18:17
Galvanic isolation may not be the only factor. My DAC sounds better being fed via a USB/SPDIF converter than it does through its optical input. Results based on a sample size of two, so YMMV.

Regards,

Mus

RichB
23-11-2013, 19:21
Really hard to describe, I think best to try and hear one to determine the difference.

My DAC has a really great USB input but I prefer the optical input via the v-link, it just seems to open the sound up a bit, and of course allows playback of higher res stuff as it was intended.

I find the USB input is less fussy over the quality of the source material whereas a badly mastered track or low bitrate file will make itself more known on the optical input.

Just my view of course, try one if you can. You may not consider it necessary.

lurcher
23-11-2013, 19:32
My DAC has a really great USB input but I prefer the optical input via the v-link, it just seems to open the sound up a bit, and of course allows playback of higher res stuff as it was intended.

The fact that your USB is lower res/speed than optical would indicate its an older generation USB input. New Audio 2.0 USB inputs should be able to match or exceed what can be had via S/PDIFF and optical. Also USB allows flow rate control, so the DAC is not having to recover its clock from the signal generated in the PC.

mr sneff
23-11-2013, 22:30
If you're just playing standard resolution CDs or FLAC files ripped from CDs to a computer is there anything to be gained by using a DAC that upsamples them from 16 bit to 24 bit?

Stratmangler
23-11-2013, 22:47
If you're just playing standard resolution CDs or FLAC files ripped from CDs to a computer is there anything to be gained by using a DAC that upsamples them from 16 bit to 24 bit?

Changing from 16 bit to 24 bit is not upsampling.
The only thing it does is add eight redundant zeros to the 16 bit word.
The only thing that might occur is that a DAC might change brick-wall filter because of the word length.

NRG
24-11-2013, 00:40
OK, so would a USB to USB galvanic isolator like this http://www.saelig.com/product/UBUSB1001.htmdo the same job?

Yes it would help. Note, that one is a full speed 12Mhz device so 24/96 files maximum.

AlfaGTV
24-11-2013, 20:01
For me, the USB 2 SPDIF converter is a necessity, as the USB input on my DAC/Pre only accepts 16bit/44.1-48Khz.
All other DAC's i have tried at home have also sounded far better when feeding their SPDIF rather than USB input.

I have only one USB cable that is long enough to connect my MacMini with my DAC/Pre, which is about 4meters. And that cable pretty much kills the audio passing through it... You'd be freakin deaf not hear that! ;)

So, now i have a very neat Gustard U10 USB converter that lets me use AES/EBU to transfer the digital signal to my DAC/Pre, and this sounds as good as i have been able to get my computer to sound! (It pulled down the pants on the M2Tech HiFace quite obviously)

Regards Mike

Ammonite Audio
24-11-2013, 20:29
For me, the USB 2 SPDIF converter is a necessity, as the USB input on my DAC/Pre only accepts 16bit/44.1-48Khz.
All other DAC's i have tried at home have also sounded far better when feeding their SPDIF rather than USB input.

I have only one USB cable that is long enough to connect my MacMini with my DAC/Pre, which is about 4meters. And that cable pretty much kills the audio passing through it... You'd be freakin deaf not hear that! ;)

So, now i have a very neat Gustard U10 USB converter that lets me use AES/EBU to transfer the digital signal to my DAC/Pre, and this sounds as good as i have been able to get my computer to sound! (It pulled down the pants on the M2Tech HiFace quite obviously)

Regards Mike

I need a USB converter since my Lyngdorf amplifier has no USB input. Like you, I have a Gustard U10 and it's superb, giving me the best digital reproduction that I've ever experienced at home.

mr sneff
24-11-2013, 21:08

Regards Mike

I tried a long (3m) USB cable with my DAC, it did more than kill the sound - the laptop wouldn't recognise the DAC!
But if you only listen to 16bit/44.1-48Khz files is there any benefit in going from USN~B to SPDIF?

AlfaGTV
24-11-2013, 22:21
I tried a long (3m) USB cable with my DAC, it did more than kill the sound - the laptop wouldn't recognise the DAC!
But if you only listen to 16bit/44.1-48Khz files is there any benefit in going from USN~B to SPDIF?

I would say the StdRez files benefit as much, if not more, from a good USB receiver or USB converter.
Haven't thought about it, but perhaps its even more sensitive to jitter and timing related issues when there are less information to transform into music?
Regards Mike
PS The Gustard accepts 32bit 384Khz Audio

Yomanze
19-03-2014, 13:40
I just ordered a BNC Halide Bridge. To be honest I've not been so happy with my recent USB to SPDIF experiences, the V-Link 192 not being as natural as my CD transport.

The Halide Bridge appealed for the following reasons:

1. Ergonomic, just plug it into my 2nd BNC socket and have a non-obtrusive USB lead on the shelf. Really don't need anymore boxes
2. BNC - for proper impedance matching (my DAC only has BNC inputs)
3. Minimal - no need to worry about different USB and BNC cables & liked the idea of having it all hardwired, less connections & more simplicity...
4. Reviews - sentiment that it is a "natural" and "organic" sound & a step above the usual suspects

I'll let you know how I get on! It will be used for occasional Spotify and streaming use.

http://www.halidedesign.com/images/products/bridge/bridge.png

Yomanze
23-03-2014, 18:13
And it sounds great! Most impressive are the natural harmonics and a lack of glare that I've historically experienced with USB to SPDIF.

Spectral Morn
23-03-2014, 18:26
I just ordered a BNC Halide Bridge. To be honest I've not been so happy with my recent USB to SPDIF experiences, the V-Link 192 not being as natural as my CD transport.

The Halide Bridge appealed for the following reasons:

1. Ergonomic, just plug it into my 2nd BNC socket and have a non-obtrusive USB lead on the shelf. Really don't need anymore boxes
2. BNC - for proper impedance matching (my DAC only has BNC inputs)
3. Minimal - no need to worry about different USB and BNC cables & liked the idea of having it all hardwired, less connections & more simplicity...
4. Reviews - sentiment that it is a "natural" and "organic" sound & a step above the usual suspects

I'll let you know how I get on! It will be used for occasional Spotify and streaming use.

http://www.halidedesign.com/images/products/bridge/bridge.png

I have been thinking about this too.

Missing a S/H HiFace two recently got me thinking about this, re whether my AMR DP777 would sound better hooked up via coax instead of USB. USB sounds great but its a question I want to answer but so far haven't been able. I know that AMR feel the DAC sounds best hooked up via USB but I want to hear for myself.

Does the one you got do 192 as their website says it only goes to 96?

Regards Neil

Yomanze
23-03-2014, 18:41
Goes up to 96kHz, but I only use 16bit 44.1kHz. Sounds better than my old V-Link 192 though (from memory).

Yomanze
23-03-2014, 18:44
I would imagine that the AMR DAC has a proper USB input though...

Spectral Morn
23-03-2014, 18:58
I would imagine that the AMR DAC has a proper USB input though...

It does but still I am curious to hear the PC side of things through the AMR's coax input.

That would be no good for me as I do listen to 192 music.

Regards Neil

nat8808
23-03-2014, 19:22

That's what manufacturers say and it's probably true.

However the PC itself can be effected due to the the way USB works. This was set out in a recent-ish New Scientist "Last Word" question (the reader questions at the back). A reader had been playing with a quartz oven lighter thing (get a spark by squeezing the handle) and had removed the earth and was zapping a radiator getting a bigger and stronger spark. Every time he did this, his laptop disconnected all USB devices!

It was suggested in the published answers that the EMF from the spark was enough for the USB bus to receive a load of rubbish and therefore assume this was coming from the ports themselves and concluded the devices had been removed and this was general interference.

So I don't think the USB bus itself is rubust enough to not be effected by general EMF.

I'm sure it can be overcome by clever design and probably isn't a problem all the time anyway. But I would have thought that anything with a long-ish USB lead would be loads more susceptible and therefore best to get it to some other frequency comms like S/Pdif as soon as possible.

Yomanze
24-03-2014, 14:14
It does but still I am curious to hear the PC side of things through the AMR's coax input.

That would be no good for me as I do listen to 192 music.

Regards Neil

You'll need better than the V-Link 192 I think... I'd be looking at:

Audiophilleo2
JK SPDIF Mk3
M2Tech HiFace Evo

...which I haven't heard!

nat8808
24-03-2014, 17:33
This all assumes use of a laptop though.

Wouldn't it be better to use an internal card? There's a brand I discovered just yesterday which does a PCI card with three different digital outputs up to 192KHz and is £50 new.

Here we go: Musiland http://www.amazon.co.uk/Musiland-Digital-Time-Computer-Electronics/dp/B00A2QLAZQ

It's the kind of card I'd consider for my FBA computer, something simple with no other fancy mixers etc going on in hardware, just depends on drivers and people's reviews.

Spectral Morn
24-03-2014, 18:15
You'll need better than the V-Link 192 I think... I'd be looking at:

Audiophilleo2
JK SPDIF Mk3
M2Tech HiFace Evo

...which I haven't heard!

The top one generally coming up as the best one (or at least it did, does it still currently) but pretty expensive. I think at the minute the HiFace Two is probably what I would like to try as the Evo while probably better is maybe more than I want to risk to find out AMR are right and the USB input sounds better.

Regards Neil

purite audio
25-03-2014, 09:25
Neil Hi,if you PM me your address I can send you a HiFace 2 to try.
KR Keith.

Yomanze
26-03-2014, 21:03
Neil Hi,if you PM me your address I can send you a HiFace 2 to try.
KR Keith.

Hi Keith have you compared it with the Halide Bridge?

purite audio
27-03-2014, 10:26
I remember a customer part exchanged his Halide Bridge against an EVO, this was a few years ago, when the original HiFace was current, the HiFace 2 is IMHO better than the original and indistinguishable from the EVO,
the EVO does have extensive connectivity though.
Keith.

worrasf
27-03-2014, 12:36
While I have no other USB-SPDIF converters with which to compare I am very impressed with the SQ from the Hiface 2 I recently purchased from Keith. I am using a MacBook Air with lowly iTunes (Apple losless files) into the upgraded BM2 and it stands comparison to the Wadia 170i signature setup I was previously using

Steve

realysm42
27-03-2014, 13:51
Galvanic isolation isn't the be all and end all for a dac IME.

AlfaGTV
28-03-2014, 19:47
Recieved my HiFace 2 from Italy yesterday and tried it out briefly. Simple to get running on my MacMini and the audio quality seems very good.
Need to tell about the excellent customer service offered by M2Tech; my original HiFace stopped working when i upgraded my music playing MacMini to Mavericks. Didnt bother me much though, as it wasnt a high priority source in my system, and i could use the Mac via it's optical output anyways.
A few weeks ago, i did however send a support request to M2Tech via their website asking for a report on the progress of driver development for Evo/HiFace for Mavericks.
I was glad to see a response from CEO Nadia Marino, and particulary pleased to read the part where M2Tech is offering the HiFace 2 at a heavily discounted price to users of Mavericks, only 59€ incl shipping! This was due to the fact that development of the driver had been delayed and they are currently researching this issue with representatives from Apple Inc.

So, problem solved for me, even if i had solved my issues through buying an Gustard U10 with excellent audio quality and connectivity earlier. Now having the option of comparing these, i'll grt to work on that in few days. Just tried a new option also, connectin the HiFace 2 to my iPad, enabling me to send a digital stream out of the iPad directly to my Dac/Pre! Really nice, though not quite like the MacMini!

Atb Mike

struth
28-03-2014, 20:24
Just fitted an Aqvox linear psu to my HRT Streamer2 and the results are excellent. A very worthwhile add on I think.

starbucksboss
15-04-2014, 02:27
I think this was relevant a few years ago but not any more...these days your USB with a great cable will be more than adequate.

Yomanze
15-04-2014, 18:25
Have thought about isolating the power on my Halide Bridge, but it goes against the spirit of having it plugged into a BNC socket with just a USB cable to worry about. No way to change cables either as it's captive. I already have enough boxes. If my primary source was computer then perhaps I would give it a go, but only really listen to Spotify via USB.

.mus
16-04-2014, 06:53
I think this was relevant a few years ago but not any more...these days your USB with a great cable will be more than adequate.

Not that I disagree concerning adequacy, but - as with anything - asynch USB appears to be something that can be implemented more or less well; my DAC has a USB input, and the results via USB are certainly adequate, but still they're markedly better when I use a USB/SPDIF converter. My (very limited) understanding is that different asynch interfaces will differ with respect to their capacity to reduce/eliminate jitter in the data-stream, while the interface's power supply arrangements - esp. for the clocks - can also bear on the SQ of the end result. In any case, I found it to be an option well worth exploring :)

alex1976
03-05-2014, 09:01
Hi Mike

i just received the Gustard and find it tricky to set up on windows 7/foobar. I have the recent bushmaster and also an asynchronous dacmagic. I have not been able to get the dacmagic to work with the gustard yet. the bushmaster works but i am getting pinches and pops when changing driver settings of the gustard (i probably should only do that when the amp is powered off).

any advise would be much appreciated.

kind regards
alex

AlfaGTV
03-05-2014, 12:11
Hi Alex

Unfortunately i won't be able to advise there... I have only used it on Mac where drivers aren't needed.

I'll try it out on my Win machine in a few days. I wont be able to advise on Foobar though, as i consequently prefer JRiver Media Center on Windows.

Atb Mike

alex1976
03-05-2014, 17:45
Thank you Mike.

I unplugged the thing again before blowing my speakers and I am installing Jriver now and will see whether that simplifies things for me.

If you do get around to plugging in your PC and it works easily then do let me know!

many thanks
Alex

Stratmangler
03-05-2014, 18:52
Thank you Mike.

I unplugged the thing again before blowing my speakers and I am installing Jriver now and will see whether that simplifies things for me.

If you do get around to plugging in your PC and it works easily then do let me know!

many thanks
Alex

Why would JRiver simplify anything?
If you haven't properly installed the correct device drivers for Win7 then you're likely to still have the same issues, just with another media player.

What did you get with Foobar under file/preferences/output?

alex1976
03-05-2014, 23:10
hmmm, i got a driver with the Gustard and i get a choice of wasapi/asio/direct sound all dedicated to the xmos chip.
The driver also allows for some adjustments without instructions.
Maybe there is a problem with the driver for the dacmagic which is also asynchronic. It may be that the drivers can be adjusted somehow, but in preset when i plug in the gustard i get an error message flagging up a driver miss-match. Another player is unlikely able to solve this but looking at jriver options seems to at least allow some control over the pengs and punches and securing volume (i am going straight from dac into a quad 405)

Stratmangler
04-05-2014, 08:08
You've downloaded and installed the ASIO and WASAPI plugins for Foobar too?
That's the only difference I can think that JRiver would make. The ASIO and WASAPI stuff instals itself automatically for JRiver.
You have to dig around a bit to find stuff for Foobar.

alex1976
04-05-2014, 11:11
Hi Chris

thanks for getting back. Yes foobar got all in and its now working with an updated driver from the chinese seller. So the dacmagic now takes the signal through the Gustard.
I am still concerened with volume in foorbar and especially changes of sample rates which seem to create these very annoying glitches that send shivers donw your spine. I read this may have to do with the clock adjusting. Jriver can silence a second or two to get past this.

Stratmangler
04-05-2014, 11:40
The glitch thing on sample rate changes occurs with lots of gear.
My Squeezebox Touch/HiFace2/M2Tech Evo DAC gives a very low level "thunk" noise when sample rate changes.
Once locked on a given sample rate then there are no other unwanted noise issues.

However, if you've got playlists with material that changes sample rate quite often I suppose you'd get quite irritated with the glitch noises.
I tend to play albums, so it's generally not a problem, and I tend not to use my laptop to play albums as I find the Squeezebox setup to be much less of a faff.
Does the muting on JRiver cut off the start of some tracks?
That would piss me off much more than glitch noises :eyebrows:

alex1976
04-05-2014, 22:43
i am experimenting with two dacs - dacmagic 100 and the bushmaster - both are modded and run of an external psu. the dacmagic manages sample rate changes fine. a little sizzle and off it flirts. jriver with 2 seconds of silence passes over that smoothly. The bushmaster is the one that acts up. its very sensitive to other laptop activities and just too scary in foobar. So i am keeping it quite until i finally get a beaming cd player. I will check whether jriver can fix the sample rate somehow.

for whatever reason i feel the sound from foobar is clearer and more forward than from jriver........i clearly got too much time on my hands...

Stratmangler
04-05-2014, 22:52
I've used Foobar for years, although not as my main music source.
I tried JRiver out of curiousity - some here were raving on about is being superior sounding ...

I couldn't hear any difference between Foobar and JRiver, let alone one sounding superior to the other, so the JRiver got uninstalled and I still use Foobar.
JRiver is a waste of £50.00 in my experience, and I'd rather keep that £50.00 in my wallet, thank you very much.

mkrzych
28-05-2014, 07:44
Anyone tried some USB-to-COAX converters on Beresford Caiman 7520SEG? It has limited USB input to 48kHz, but coax can go up to 96kHz.
If you have any experience about it, is it worth etc. share with us please.

StanleyB
28-05-2014, 07:54
Try the teralink USB adapter. It needs no special drivers and is well made. You can find them on eBay.

mkrzych
28-05-2014, 09:13
Try the teralink USB adapter. It needs no special drivers and is well made. You can find them on eBay.

Thanks Stan - I guess I should look for X2 version. Do you know if it plays 88.2kHz/176.4kHz/192kHz files as well? I know that it up to 96kHz device, but what if I try to play 192kHz, will it be downsampled to 96kHz and played or I won't hear anything?

StanleyB
28-05-2014, 09:27
It will play 192 as well, down sampled to 96. Not that anyone alive today would be able to stake their wealth and life on being able to tell the difference by listening to the 96 and 192 playback. That person still needs to be born.

mkrzych
28-05-2014, 09:46
It will play 192 as well, down sampled to 96. Not that anyone alive today would be able to stake their wealth and life on being able to tell the difference by listening to the 96 and 192 playback. That person still needs to be born.

Indeed, but it is not a matter of ability to hear the ultrasonics, but about omitting some filtering stages in the DAC to make audible band more clear. Different story however.

I have some 88.2kHz/176.4kHz and 192kHz files so wondering if I try to play them over this converter they will work just fine. BTW, do you know this because you have experience with this little converter Stan?

StanleyB
28-05-2014, 13:58
yes I have used one of them. I have a distributor of my DACs in Korea and many buyers of the Bushmaster use a Teralink USB converter.

mkrzych
28-05-2014, 14:07
yes I have used one of them. I have a distributor of my DACs in Korea and many buyers of the Bushmaster use a Teralink USB converter.

Thanks a lot Stan - I've been looking for not so expensive, but nice paired USB/SPDIF converter for a while for my Caiman 7520SEG DAC. eBay is a good choice to buy it in your opinion?

So for users of Teralink - what is your experience with the sound from this device, any problems to play 88.2/176.4/192 files over it, do I need separate PSU or it will run nicely taking power from USB bus with nice signal/power separated USB cable?

I guess if those sampling is not supported and won't play from A+ at all, the best way in Caiman would be stick with the original interfaces - I am using optical out from Macbook.

StanleyB
28-05-2014, 15:21
My experience? I am using the same chip in the Caiman MKII.

mkrzych
28-05-2014, 15:58
My experience? I am using the same chip in the Caiman MKII.

Do you mean TENOR? Some people claiming that XMOS is the way to go instead?

StanleyB
28-05-2014, 17:36
Some people are claiming that man did not go to the moon, or that the earth is flat. But that doesn't mean they are right. Claims such as that are made by people who don't have to put their money where their mouth is, or who are trying to sell you a new product by rubbishing other forms of technology that can implement the same idea far cheaper. I am not interested in the claims of others. I am only interested in what can physically be heard. I challenge any of these claimants to be able to say what USB chip is used in any DAC by just listening to the sound output.

mkrzych
28-05-2014, 19:12
Some people are claiming that man did not go to the moon, or that the earth is flat. But that doesn't mean they are right. Claims such as that are made by people who don't have to put their money where their mouth is, or who are trying to sell you a new product by rubbishing other forms of technology that can implement the same idea far cheaper. I am not interested in the claims of others. I am only interested in what can physically be heard. I challenge any of these claimants to be able to say what USB chip is used in any DAC by just listening to the sound output.

That is true Stan to a certain extend. I just want a good, not expensive device to use USB on my Mac with Caiman MKI where the input is limited to 24/48 AFAIR and be abke to play all resolution files.

Old George
29-05-2014, 01:00
I'm using one of these to connect my Bushmaster MK2 to my desktop PC..........CLICK (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHIREE-U2-HA-INFO-24Bit-96K-USB-to-SPDIF-Converter-Support-AC3-DTS-USB-Cable-/271316661939?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2bbbb6b3)
How good is it compared to alternative converters? Not got a clue, but it sounds pretty good to me.
Can a substantial improvement be gained by spending more cash or would it be a case of spending significantly more cash for just a subtle improvement? Again i don't know, but maybe one of you guys can speak from hands on experience.

StanleyB
29-05-2014, 07:16
I actually have a 192kHz stand alone USB adapter under development and close to completion for those who need to go up to 192kHz, but don't want to pay the earth for a 192kHz USB converter. But integrating it into the Caiman would have been a challenge weight wise, and I have no drivers for it that would allow it to work on MAC or Linux. The CII on the other hand works with MAC and Linux without any additional drivers. Expected price is going to be less than £100 delivered anywhere in Europe. I won't be offering it for sale outside Europe at this stage.

mkrzych
29-05-2014, 07:22
I actually have a 192kHz stand alone USB adapter under development and close to completion for those who need to go up to 192kHz, but don't want to pay the earth for a 192kHz USB converter. But integrating it into the Caiman would have been a challenge weight wise, and I have no drivers for it that would allow it to work on MAC or Linux. The CII on the other hand works with MAC and Linux without any additional drivers. Expected price is going to be less than £100 delivered anywhere in Europe. I won't be offering it for sale outside Europe at this stage.

You mean less than 100£ for the converter, not for CII?

StanleyB
29-05-2014, 07:54
The CII is about £300. Well outside your budget.

mkrzych
29-05-2014, 08:08
The CII is about £300. Well outside your budget.

Well, depends what I would like to do. Thinking about extending my current Caiman SEG DAC by adding such converter or sell it and buy CII, but the latter option is probably more expensive.

StanleyB
29-05-2014, 08:21
It's a fair enough financial consideration that few would disagree with.
I must add as a side note however, that after making adjustments for inflation since the SEG came out, the CII is actually cheaper than the SEG at today's prices.

mkrzych
29-05-2014, 08:34
It's a fair enough financial consideration that few would disagree with.
I must add as a side note however, that after making adjustments for inflation since the SEG came out, the CII is actually cheaper than the SEG at today's prices.

Well, this is definitively something what I should to consider in the future. My current SEG is nicely modified and to me sounds very well over my optical toslink. Just thinking if it could be better doing something not expensive to improve it - if possible of course.

StanleyB
29-05-2014, 10:22
I can't think of anything. I think that I have reached the limit on the SEG due to the existing noise floor of the PCB layout.

mkrzych
29-05-2014, 11:13
I can't think of anything. I think that I have reached the limit on the SEG due to the existing noise floor of the PCB layout.

That is why it's been modified little bit on my DAC, especially the ground traces layout ;-)

StanleyB
29-05-2014, 11:49
PCB noise and signal traces separation is very important, especially with USB. But I shall come back to that in my next instalment of the "teaser" coverage of the CII.

starbucksboss
11-06-2014, 03:27
I've often seen it said, in DAC reviews, that the SPDIF input sounds better than the USB input, and it's suggested that a USB to SPDIF converter can improve things. Can anybody explain (in laymans terms, nothing too arcane) why this is so? Is the critical thing what comes out of the USB port on the laptop (in which case how can that be improved further down the chain)?
Or is the critical thing what happens when the signal reaches the DAC?

This used to be true but no longer...