PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Norway.

ChrisKemp
23-11-2013, 05:19
Hello, Art of Sound Forum.

My name is Chris and I live in a city called Fredrikstad in Norway. I inherited the interest of hifi from my father, and my first hifi gear was back in 1993. I started with a NAD amplifier and Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers with a Denon CD player.

After that I have had many different components. But the one I remember the best was about 12-13 years ago . I had a Balanced Audio Technology BAT VK60 tube amp, Krell KAV 300 CD player and Klipsch RF3 speakers. Great sound. I listen to all kinds of music, but mostly jazz and pop music. No heavy metal, except maybe a record from Metallica and Scorpions now and then:)

After that, I kind of drifted into home theater. I built my own home cinema in the basement with a 92" screen, Sony VW50 Pearl projector, Pioneer LX60 amp and 7.1 ch SVS speakers and a huge SVS subwoofer. It sounded great for years. But after some years, and becomming a father, the home theater room was not enjoyed as often as it should. So 3 years ago I sold all the components from my home theater and again was back to 2 channel Audio. And only a month ago I got me my first TT. I almost bought a Rega RP3, but didnt. Then I found the Technics SL-1210mk2 and started to read everything I could find of information. The problem in Norway was that there were very few decks up for sale. The once that I found was old scratched up DJ decks. So I started to look at Audio Technica AT LP240. Lucky for me, that was ment for the US market only and had to be imported. That never happened.

Suddenly I quickly got my hands on a 1210mk2 in mint condition that had never seen the inside of a smokey discotec:eyebrows:

My hifi system now consist of the following:
- Music Angel XD-800mk3 with KT88 (Golden Dragon) and Siemens NOS tubes. It is heavyly modified and sounds absolutely stunning.
- Speakers: Dali Ikon 6mk2
- Technics SL-1210 mk2 with a mk5G lid cover that is smoked/ darker than the org mk2 cover.
- Also a DAC.

So what I have done with my SL1210mk2?

First I started with a budget cartridge, a AT95E, that I really like.

Just received my external PSU and regulator from Mains Cable R Us. Great product, that made everything about the TT sound better.

On its way from the US is a shipment from KAB. A new arm with Cardas, Isonoe Feet, Cardas All Litz pre soldered to PCB by Kevin and some more stuff.

Oh, and my Riaa is a Musical Fidelity V-LPS ii. It sounded great on its own. But last week it joined forces with the V-PSU ii. And WOW! I never ever thought a PSU for the allready very good riaa would make such a difference:eek:

Luckyly my best friend is upgrading his Rega RP3 to a P9, so I will buy his Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge in a couple of weeks. It has maybe got 150-200 hours, so it is just run in. I think the 2M Bronze will sound great in my system.

Oh, and my next upgrades sometime early next year....first the Mike New Bearing. And then the Oyaide MJ-12 platter + Oyaide weight (from Mains Cable R Us).

So there you have it. Me, I turned 40 this summer, married with children, got a German Sheppeard and a Volvo V70:D Happily settled in :D And have been a police officer since 1996.

And of course, allready enjoying this forum:)

The Grand Wazoo
23-11-2013, 10:09
Hi Chris
Here's a warm AoS welcome from me.
Thanks for a truly exemplary first post - you'll do fine for me!

Cheers

MartinT
23-11-2013, 13:05
Welcome to AoS, Chris. Another fellow Technics user :)
Just wait until you fit the Mike New bearing...

ChrisKemp
24-11-2013, 06:39
Thank you so much for your kind words.

pjdowns
29-11-2013, 00:11
Hi Chris and welcome to the forum