PDA

View Full Version : Considering a change of direction ~ Tisbury Audio Pre + a request

synsei
22-11-2013, 22:05
Times are hard so I am considering unlocking some of the financial potential tied up within my system. I am planning to make major changes which will not only free up some cash but ultimately leave me with a better sounding system, he said hopefully. I have been reading with interest the positive comments made by members concerning the Tisbury Audio passive pre-amp. Seeing as I have decided out of necessity to give up on vinyl, I won't be needing a phono stage therefore one of these little gems may be worth a punt. This would free up my Classé Audio DR5 which I could then move on together with my Techie, SME SIII and other TT themed bits and pieces. Ideally I'd like to hear a Tisbury before I pull the trigger, can anybody help me out here?

Macca
22-11-2013, 22:10
Tisbury will give you 30 days sale or return. But if you don't want to front the money you could ask Jerry JANDL for a loan of his - I've not seen him sell it yet.

synsei
22-11-2013, 22:15
I'd prefer not to front up the cash Martin but I will if necessary, however I would prefer it if I could borrow one for a week or so to see what's what, as they say. I have to say they are a smart looking unit and quite small by the look of it, which will be a change as the DR5 is a monster... :lol:

Macca
22-11-2013, 22:22
It is teeny-tiny - two fag packets size. And the price is very reasonable. Have to say the NVA P90 I had after it is considerably better but quite a bit more bought new.

Audio Al
22-11-2013, 22:29
:eek:
I have decided out of necessity to give up on vinyl,:eek:

:(

synsei
22-11-2013, 22:32
I have no choice Al :(

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?10732-The-Long-Way-Home&p=502908#post502908

Last post mate, in more ways than one :(

Macca
22-11-2013, 22:41
Don't be disheartened, Dave. Vinyl is fun and cool but it is a faff and it's expensive. Not only that, professional musicians have been telling me for the last two decades that if you want to hear the recording as close as possible to as they intended it then you need to listen to it on digitally sourced replay. And much as I am loath to admit it, in the past few years I have started to realise that they were right.

Not so sure about Spotify, though...

synsei
22-11-2013, 22:50
Don't be disheartened, Dave. Vinyl is fun and cool but it is a faff and it's expensive. Not only that, professional musicians have been telling me for the last two decades that if you want to hear the recording as close as possible to as they intended it then you need to listen to it on digitally sourced replay. And much as I am loath to admit it, in the past few years I have started to realise that they were right.

Replay via Spotify sounds remarkably good through my system Martin, far better than it ought. Quite amazing really considering I am only using Unlimited (can't afford Premium).

Ali Tait
22-11-2013, 22:53

Martin, I think that's entirely correct. The vinyl is more fun to listen to, and seems to flow better if you know what I mean, but I'd agree decent digi is at the end of the day more accurate. Or maybe I just need a better arm and cart.. :-)

Macca
22-11-2013, 22:58
Some material on Spotify sounds terrific - with some recordings it sounds flat. That's what I've heard - with premium - on a few decent (and a couple of very decent) systems. Never tried it on my own system.

Audio Al
22-11-2013, 23:00
I have no choice Al :(

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?10732-The-Long-Way-Home&p=502908#post502908

Last post mate, in more ways than one :(

Oh Dave mate , that really sucks , As you say you NEED to do it and now I understand

Hope it all works out for you ;)

Macca
22-11-2013, 23:08
Martin, I think that's entirely correct. The vinyl is more fun to listen to, and seems to flow better if you know what I mean, but I'd agree decent digi is at the end of the day more accurate. Or maybe I just need a better arm and cart.. :-)

Yes I know what you mean Ali - but ultimately it is artifice that makes it so. Not that it matters if you enjoy what you are hearing. I do. Plus it gives me great pleasure to play the records I bought as a student 2 decades and more ago, now properly cleaned and played on a quality system and just marvel at the way they sound. But they are just objects and posessions and I could give them up anytime if I wanted to or needed to.

synsei
22-11-2013, 23:13
Oh Dave mate , that really sucks , As you say you NEED to do it and now I understand

Hope it all works out for you ;)

Thanks Al. Believe me I don't want to do this but there's no point me keeping the Techie, it'd just be an ornament. It's gutting really as it is the best sounding TT/arm combo I have ever owned but needs must... :(

Ali Tait
22-11-2013, 23:27
Yes I know what you mean Ali - but ultimately it is artifice that makes it so. Not that it matters if you enjoy what you are hearing. I do. Plus it gives me great pleasure to play the records I bought as a student 2 decades and more ago, now properly cleaned and played on a quality system and just marvel at the way they sound. But they are just objects and posessions and I could give them up anytime if I wanted to or needed to.

Nick put it well at a previous Owston. He said "Vinyl replay is broken, but it's broken in a way we like"

He's not wrong.

keiths
22-11-2013, 23:45
Thanks Al. Believe me I don't want to do this but there's no point me keeping the Techie, it'd just be an ornament. It's gutting really as it is the best sounding TT/arm combo I have ever owned but needs must... :(

Sorry to hear this Dave. Whatever you do, if you can hang on to your records. I made the mistake of thinking I was leaving vinyl behind for good about 10 years ago. Sold the Gyrodec and started selling off my records. Sold about 500 or so leaving myself with about 300. Without question the worst decision I ever made.

Ali Tait
22-11-2013, 23:48
The last time I got out of vinyl, my wonderful ex wife sold all of mine. I came very close to homicide..

synsei
22-11-2013, 23:51
Sorry to hear this Dave. Whatever you do, if you can hang on to your records. I made the mistake of thinking I was leaving vinyl behind for good about 10 years ago. Sold the Gyrodec and started selling off my records. Sold about 500 or so leaving myself with about 300. Without question the worst decision I ever made.

Been there, done that, lost me shirt :eyebrows: I owned over 3000 albums and even more in singles which I acquired during the 1970's and 80's. Got into CD and sold almost all of them (except my film soundtrack albums). This time it's different though Keith. My health issues are chronic and I am stuck with them for the rest of my life, in fact things will only get worse over time. The soundtrack albums will stay with me though, even so.

Haselsh1
23-11-2013, 11:27
Dave, so sorry to hear about your forced new direction but I completely understand about your need to give up on vinyl. I so wish I could follow you.

jandl100
24-11-2013, 08:27
Best of luck with your health issues, Dave.

But going back to the original point of the thread ...

Ideally I'd like to hear a Tisbury before I pull the trigger, can anybody help me out here?

I have a Tizzie pre I'd be happy to loan. Just PM me your full name / address, Dave, and I can post tomorrow. :thumbsup:

-- it's bloody good, you will be amazed, I reckon.

I'm ditching most of my vinyl, btw, fed up with the bloody stuff. Way to go! :lol:

Audio Al
24-11-2013, 08:55
I'm ditching most of my vinyl, btw, fed up with the bloody stuff. Way to go!

:eek: Nurse :eek: Nurse , Man here needs therapy :eek:

User211
24-11-2013, 09:00
Nah Jerry - just dump a good £5K plus on a decent TT setup and it'll sound OK again... LOL!

But seriously, read this once... and ingest. DON'T DO IT. You'll regret it.

jandl100
24-11-2013, 10:33
Nah Jerry - just dump a good £5K plus on a decent TT setup and it'll sound OK again... LOL!

But seriously, read this once... and ingest. DON'T DO IT. You'll regret it.

:nono: - when the vinyl is good it's very, very good, but when it's bad it .... drives me round the effing loop! :facepull: :lol:

My digital front end is sounding so good these days, I just don't need the stress of farting around with a small piece of rock in a spiral plastic groove. I'll keep the tt rig and a couple of dozen of my fave LPs that can't be had on CD.

But just in case the important message has got lost in all this off topic banter ....

Dave / synsei - I will happily loan you my Tisbury passive pre-amp!
Just PM me your details. :)
PM sent.