PDA

View Full Version : Do you enjoy your system?

mr sneff
22-11-2013, 17:48
This question was asked on another forum recently. I'm fairly new to AOS, but I've noticed that if you look at the number of people viewing the forum at any time the highest numbers are usually to be found on the Private Exhibitions forum. Is that simply curiosity to see who's selling what, or are people viewing with the hope of finding the 'holy grail' at the right price?

I've had several enjoyable systems; my first hifi system, simply because it allowed me to listen to music, then a system od an Arcam Alpha CD player, Pioneer A400 and Tannoy Mercury speakers was very enjoyable. Recently, just prior to my current system, which I enjoy greatly, I had a very modest system of a laptop streaming mp3s from iTunes wirelessly to a FatMan hybrid amp and a pair of Q Acoustics 2010 speakers. Not the last word in fidelity, but, set to random play I could listen to it all day long.

Perhaps "do you enjoy your system?" is the wrong question. A better question would be: does your system allow you to enjoy music?

synsei
22-11-2013, 17:57
In it's current form my system is very enjoyable indeed delivering music just the way I like it. Over the last five days I have been playing with a few new (to me) bits and pieces, swapping stuff out here, replacing IC's there and nothing quite gelled. Whether it's a case of me enjoying the sound of my usual configuration is up for debate, but I am very happy with it non-the-less :)

Ali Tait
22-11-2013, 19:21
Just got a vinyl front end up and running, which I've not had for nearly 30 years, and I can't tear myself away from it. Haven't enjoyed playing choons like this as much ever before I don't think..

synsei
22-11-2013, 19:35
Just got a vinyl front end up and running, which I've not had for nearly 30 years, and I can't tear myself away from it. Haven't enjoyed playing choons like this as much ever before I don't think..

Congratulations Ali although there is some irony in this situation as the missus and I have just come to the decision to go solely file based. Because of my back injury it is nigh on impossible for me to spin any vinyl and since the beginning of the year I can count on my fingers how many times I have put a record on the Techie. Most of my listening these days is either done via Spotify or through Foobar. Occasionally I might spin up a CD just for kicks.

Effem
22-11-2013, 19:35
I have owned a vast number of expensive and sometimes esoteric systems but none have given me as much raw pleasure as the current system that I am listening to in an impossibly tiny room, composed of obsolete components.

Two recent additions have just blown me away - a pair of JPW AP3s, which gave me the sound I have long craved for from a speaker, then in the last couple of days a "mystery" interconnect given to me to evaluate. It is this last addition that has truly made the sound alive and vibrant, dynamic and detailed, powerful yet full of tonal colours, so I want for none better than what I have tonight. I really will sorely miss this cable when it has to be returned :wah:

This week has seen some very late bed times :)

doodoos
22-11-2013, 19:37
I'm trying to figure which is more important to me - the system or the music. Thing is, I can't really enjoy the music unless the system is good, wallpaper listening excepted of course.

Ali Tait
22-11-2013, 19:44
Congratulations Ali although there is some irony in this situation as the missus and I have just come to the decision to go solely file based. Because of my back injury it is nigh on impossible for me to spin any vinyl and since the beginning of the year I can count on my fingers how many times I have put a record on the Techie. Most of my listening these days is either done via Spotify or through Foobar. Occasionally I might spin up a CD just for kicks.

Dave, really sorry to hear this. I guess most of us take our health for granted. Not saying the file side is poor, I do after all have the TFS and the prototype of Nick's brilliant dac, so it's not all one sided. That will be an interesting comparison on Sunday, with the Mafia here, as I several Hi Rez tracks that I also have on vinyl.

Obviously it's the novelty for me at the moment, I haven't played the TFS since I turned the 401 on, so it'll be interesting what some unbiased ears make of it.

synsei
22-11-2013, 20:04
Dave, really sorry to hear this. I guess most of us take our health for granted. Not saying the file side is poor, I do after all have the TFS and the prototype of Nick's brilliant dac, so it's not all one sided. That will be an interesting comparison on Sunday, with the Mafia here, as I several Hi Rez tracks that I also have on vinyl.

Obviously it's the novelty for me at the moment, I haven't played the TFS since I turned the 401 on, so it'll be interesting what some unbiased ears make of it.

To be honest Ali it's a decision I've been putting off for a while. It's not that my Techie doesn't sound wonderful, it does, it is purely a pragmatic decision born out of necessity. I love your 401 incidentally, it has been my dream to own one since the 1970's :)

John
22-11-2013, 20:10
Love my system and more important listening to music

Ali Tait
22-11-2013, 20:11
Aye, it's a great bit of kit, Dom had a good look at Owston and tells me it's in fine fettle and looks little used. Certainly the thrust bearing seems to bear that out. The slate plinth really makes the most of it.

YNWaN
22-11-2013, 20:29
Yes, I enjoy my system very much.

Macca
22-11-2013, 20:44
I don't always enjoy it. But sometimes it is absolutely blissful. Like a mechanic who owns a high performance car I tend to continually tinker with the thing to get it even better. Sometimes that makes it worse. That can be irritating. But I don't view it as a passive activity - I enjoy my music but I like the interactive side of trying to hone the performance of the thing that produces it too. It's a bit like crafting a sculpture or painting a picture. It's a creative process, and I enjoy that too.

Thing Fish
22-11-2013, 20:47
I enjoy my system more so now than when it cost nearly twice as much. If that makes any sense.:scratch:

I do spend more on vinyl these days than on my system which is pretty much there...:)

Ali Tait
22-11-2013, 21:13
I don't always enjoy it. But sometimes it is absolutely blissful. Like a mechanic who owns a high performance car I tend to continually tinker with the thing to get it even better. Sometimes that makes it worse. That can be irritating. But I don't view it as a passive activity - I enjoy my music but I like the interactive side of trying to hone the performance of the thing that produces it too. It's a bit like crafting a sculpture or painting a picture. It's a creative process, and I enjoy that too.

That's a great way of putting it Martin.

Zoidburg
22-11-2013, 21:31
Iv changed amp recently and its made a huge improvement to things. Smiles galore when its on now.

mr sneff
22-11-2013, 22:59
I have owned a vast number of expensive and sometimes esoteric systems but none have given me as much raw pleasure as the current system that I am listening to in an impossibly tiny room, composed of obsolete components.

I enjoy my system more so now than when it cost nearly twice as much. If that makes any sense.:scratch: I do spend more on vinyl these days than on my system which is pretty much there...:)

I'd have to agree that it's not necessarily the most expensive system that gives the most pleasure and money can be more profitably spent buying music. I'm also amazed by the communicative power of music; some pieces have the ability to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up even when they being played on the most basic equipment, which has nothing to do with high fidelity.

Ali Tait
22-11-2013, 23:01
+1

Clive197
23-11-2013, 00:43
My system rocks my boat. Ye haa.:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Sovereign
23-11-2013, 09:35
Last night my system was sounding particularly good. My hifi is in a converted detached garage , this time of year I have to turn the heating on a few hours before to warm up the room, I did this last night but the room was still freezing and I could see my breath, but all was glorious.
I was listening to a new jazz album by Paul Gascoin, which is just fantastic. My hifi is the same set up that it has been for a while, 3kva BPS, AG1500 regen, MDAC, NVA TSS amp, Lampizator open baffle speakers; but I have this weird device called a Ifi buffer/pre amp which I find increases the three dimentionality and nicer tone to the music, the differences thIs device make are not large but definitely there to hear and enjoy, it's only on loan but I'm enjoying having it.
I was having such a good time that I listened to this album straight through twice which I don't know if I have ever done before.
I am having my hifi room re wired with 16mm armoured going underground to the house meter on the 14th so that should be a nice upgrade in time for Christmas.

MikeMusic
23-11-2013, 10:40
My system sounds wonderful

Theo
23-11-2013, 10:56
I was listening to a new jazz album by Paul Gascoin, which is just fantastic.

James - what is the album?

Oldpinkman
23-11-2013, 11:02
Yes but...

The system I long enjoyed flaked down for various reasons and got me back into "building one" a couple of years back. I am very much enjoying it now, but still aware that it's not quite what I want. Close. Really exceptional in some areas. And certainly for at least a week now (until this morning) I have sat and listened to music again for hour after hour, instead of sitting listening to equipment.

But...

This morning was a fine example - I found the time to "sort" the loan set up I have properly. So routed out the cable exit hole on the PT to let the Foo RCA's on the tonearm cable through, which meant I could get the suspension bounce right, and whilst I was at it, lubed the bearing, lowered the VTA, which in turn means I can shut the lid again when playing records. Set up with test record - although changed nothing, just confirmed setup. Now whether it was VTA, shutting the lid, or suspension bounce, something special happened. I realise I sound a bit like the mains cablers , both for improbability of causes of sound change, and yet another level of hyperbole (after half a dozen "this makes such a difference" changes, you are left wondering just how shiite it was in the first place), but some things are awfully right now.

My main reservation, is that the sound is now so "dry" it almost tends towards a bit nasal. And the cartridge is the main suspect. But it may be the recordings I have been listening to. And it may be the speakers, or the power amp (I am getting some Stax electrostatic headphones which will take a couple of those elements out of the equation), and looking for my Katie Melua CD (bloody kids) which I could compare with the vinyl.

Anyway, whilst that sounded like "No" - the real answer is "Yes" because with no scope to fiddle with anything for at least a week, I can be pretty confident I am going to enjoy the "amazing" music again, like I have been this week, and not worry about the niggly "not sures" :cool:

ledzep
23-11-2013, 11:21
Absolutely love mine the happiest ive been in years and actually feel quite settled with it :D

Joe
23-11-2013, 11:30
I am a resolute non-tinkerer; I just put music on it and listen to it. The idea of swapping around bits and bobs doesn't appeal, partly because I'm a lazy get, and partly because I'd be sure to break something in the process of swapping.

But yes, I enjoy both of my systems.

Sovereign
23-11-2013, 11:54
James - what is the album?

Sorry Theo, it was Geoff Gascoybe - Keep it to yourself.
Geoff Gascoyne works closely with Jamie Cullum, its a great album.

brian2957
23-11-2013, 12:18
Is this it http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=geoff%20Gascoyn

Sovereign
23-11-2013, 13:49
That's the one, I have another one of his albums, don't know the name if it off hand but it's a red and black cover with a picture if Geoff on the front which is also good, a bit darker and more moody. He has done four or so albums.

Magna Audio
23-11-2013, 14:25
I enjoy my system immensely.
Listening and getting that wow factor, buying new music to immerse oneself in is a source of great pleasure.
I've enjoyed developing and refining it too. It is pretty much there now so all the more time for listening.

I've not bought a new bit of kit since March, apart from tubes which are service items.
That was a diy board that needed psu, case, leds, buttons etc and bit of set up time to explore all the features of DSP active 4 way crossover, pre/dacs.

I am selling some stuff at the moment so I go there to load and check etc at the moment.

Theo
23-11-2013, 14:37
Sorry Theo, it was Geoff Gascoybe - Keep it to yourself.
Geoff Gascoyne works closely with Jamie Cullum, its a great album.

Cheers James :)

Sovereign
23-11-2013, 16:59
Cheers James :)

Let me know what you think

Floyddroid
25-11-2013, 22:05
Yes indeedly doodly i do. However, as good as my system sounds i am still happier when i am sat in fron of a live performance and all it's faults and adventures. I am very fortunate ndeed to own some great hifi gear. But, if i put my hand on my heart is is the less esoteric stuff that i have kicking around that i get the most fun out of.
The one thing that can prevent me enjoying my system to the full is me. My system will have a certain degree of consistancy where as i do not. I may be tired have a headache, be pissed or all three. It all has a baring on how my system sounds without mains fluctuation, temperature differences, humidity, mod etc etc etc. Sometimes i can sit in front of my system and think wow! Other times i can think WTF!!!!!!! I can't be the only one to think this? The disturbng thing is, how many pieces of kit have i sold on because of my own failings rather than the demerit of the kit? Sorry to go on so. I couldn't reply with a mere yes or no.

Reffc
26-11-2013, 08:27
Very much so. I've been very fortunate to be able to select (or build) matching components that trigger an emotional response to music that I've never had with hifi in the past so the merry-go-round is over for me.

Marco
26-11-2013, 08:50

Hehehehe... I bet you never thought you'd be saying that, dude! Btw, has the stainless steel extra-mass plate arrived yet for your 103, and if so, have you fitted it? :)

Marco.

icehockeyboy
26-11-2013, 13:09
My system does it for me, although not quite as much as when I had the Classe pre into the Lyngdorf power amp.......:(

chelsea
26-11-2013, 13:43
yes

Yomanze
27-11-2013, 10:34
Yes, but I had a phase where I didn't enjoy it. It took me a lot of time (and money) to get out of that & get back to where I was *before* I got into HiFi, which is enjoying the music, and not listening to HiFi attributes. I daren't start messing around again!

mr sneff
27-11-2013, 10:38
Yes, but I had a phase where I didn't enjoy it. It took me a lot of time (and money) to get out of that & get back to where I was *before* I got into HiFi, which is enjoying the music, and not listening to HiFi attributes. I daren't start messing around again!

Yep. Been there, done that :)