PDA

View Full Version : Do all plasma TVs do a bad job with SD ?

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 08:28
Our main diet of TV is via old style Tivo.

So many reviews of TVs sat HD is great, but often as not specifically say SD is poor

Is this common ?

Are there Panasonics, Pioneers and maybe others that do a good job on both or are they mutually exclusive ?

chris@panteg
20-11-2013, 08:37
I have a Panasonic G30 plasma and SD looks very good on it ! It's a fine telly though with one very odd negative , the onboard tuner is very sensitive to interference ?

Basically whenever a car passes my house it cuts out the signal, very odd ? So we use our youview box instead.

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 09:31
Thanks
Looked up a review and found SD and HD both good

You said "G30"
Can you tell me what the rest of "TX-P42G30B" means
I can work out 42 myself !
:)
They have so many different numbers, maybe only a few base models

MartinT
20-11-2013, 09:33
My Panasonic plasma does a pretty damn good job of SD, although I set my Sky box to 1080i at all times so the upsampling takes care of it. However, if I use the Freeview tuner in the Panny, SD looks perfectly fine (though, obviously, lower resolution). Have a look at it when you're next at mine so that you can get an idea of it for real.

MartinT
20-11-2013, 09:37
Can you tell me what the rest of "TX-P42G30B" means

Ooh, mine's that model. The 42 is obvious and the G30B is the series.

Ali Tait
20-11-2013, 09:50
I think Pannys are generally regarded as amongst the best of the plasmas, certainly all of the Viera range that I have seen have been very good.

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 09:59
My Panasonic plasma does a pretty damn good job of SD, although I set my Sky box to 1080i at all times so the upsampling takes care of it. However, if I use the Freeview tuner in the Panny, SD looks perfectly fine (though, obviously, lower resolution). Have a look at it when you're next at mine so that you can get an idea of it for real.

Thanks Martin
Kept reading so many reviews of the ones I was looking at on Ebay saying that the SD was poor

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 10:01
Ooh, mine's that model. The 42 is obvious and the G30B is the series.

What does the rest mean and how relevant is it ?
TX-P 42 G30 B

TX-P (size) (Model ?) B

Sometimes it has more characters or numbers

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 10:02
I think Pannys are generally regarded as amongst the best of the plasmas, certainly all of the Viera range that I have seen have been very good.

Panasonic is the favourite for sure. I also have Pioneer in my sights as recommended in the very emporium as well as elsewhere

MartinT
20-11-2013, 10:26
If you want a Panny you need to act fast. They've ceased production of all plasma screens. It's a terrible shame as that only leaves Samsung making plasma displays. I far prefer them to LCD, although OLED is the best of all (way too expensive right now).

Ali Tait
20-11-2013, 10:39
And then we have 4k coming out..

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 10:49
If you want a Panny you need to act fast. They've ceased production of all plasma screens. It's a terrible shame as that only leaves Samsung making plasma displays. I far prefer them to LCD, although OLED is the best of all (way too expensive right now).

Hifi is more important so that has been taking the time.
TV is ok with the free 36" CRT I got some years ago and it will have to be little money, most likely 2nd hand
(Mr.Philistine)

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 10:49
And then we have 4k coming out..

Cheapskate here keeps well off the leading edge !

MartinT
20-11-2013, 11:45
I'll be going with 4k as soon as proper broadcasts begin. I love the 4k system in the cinema.

Mike - you could buy multiple new Pannys with the sale of just one of your Naim items gathering dust...

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 12:08
Mike - you could buy multiple new Pannys with the sale of just one of your Naim items gathering dust...
Need time and to get hand out of rear