PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 120: 19.11.2013: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

Album Club
19-11-2013, 00:02
This week, we've got the choice of Baz (Bazil) to listen to and comment on. Thanks a lot for the suggestion Barry.
Please enter into the discussion if you wish to vote, and listen to the entire album before commenting.

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - 1983

http://indieethos.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/pinkfloyd-album-the_final_cut.jpg

spotify:album:3B4RvahQk7zIdYWKZ41QJJ

Also available on Deezer: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut (http://www.deezer.com/en/album/1262269)

Wiki-Entry for The Final Cut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Cut_(album))

A very much overlooked Floyd album it was written entirely by Roger Waters and is regarded by many as a solo album.
Rick Wright was no longer a member and David Gilmour was not happy with the content and left the production to Roger and only sang on one song.
It doesn't have any typical dreamy Floyd sounds and is basically a rant by Roger Waters about the Falklands War, this was to be the last work by Roger as a member of Pink Floyd.
Well that all sounds a bit depressing doesn't it ? However don't forget Mr Waters can write a song and yes the lyrics are glum and moody but what great lyrics they are!

"Galtieri took the Union Jack.
And Maggie, over lunch one day,
Took a cruiser with all hands.
Apparently, to make him give it back"

Ouch! have a bit of that Mrs Thatcher :D

I for one love this album I never tire of it,." Paranoid Eyes" is one of my favourite tracks ever.
In 2004 an extra track was added slotted in at track 4 "When The Tigers Broke Free" which describes the battle in WWII where Roger's father was killed. The track was written for "The Wall" but was voted out by the other band as being too personal.

Enjoy, be depressed, laugh, sing along, tell me what you think ;)

The Barbarian
19-11-2013, 00:13
I know this album off by heart believe it or not, i much prefer it to 'The Wall', ''Get Your Filthy Hands Of My Desert'' sounds amazing {Jet flying overhead}.. This album uses an Experimental holophonic recording technique..

8/10

bob4333
19-11-2013, 08:07
A good album that could have been a great album. I think RW wrote this for himself (pouring out his anger at the loss of his father) and more or less implied that the rest of the band could come in on it if they wanted to, so no problem with agreeing it's Roger Waters with guests Pink Floyd. For Floyd as we knew them it was game over.

But it takes the playing and (maybe a little) input from the other members to make it "The Final Cut" and I suspect they had a stabilising effect on him when he was about to go off on one.

An 8 for me, could have been a 10 if not for the annoying sound effects of bombs/explosions and other things that tangle your nerve endings when you're drifting along with the music.

Some very clever lyrics though.

MartinT
19-11-2013, 09:10
This album uses an Experimental holophonic recording technique.

Zucarelli Labs, wasn't it? The same effects as used in The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking.

MartinT
19-11-2013, 09:28
I like the Final Cut, and it strikes me as a little more homogeneous than The Wall. Some good songs and it's more than just an RW album, but still too political and harks back to Animals (another album I really like) for the anti-Thatcher content. He sure has a chip on his shoulder. 7/10.

Audioman
19-11-2013, 09:32
A much underrated album. More a Roger Waters solo project than Pink Floyd. I think in retrospect it is almost equal to The Wall probably because the later is rather too long. Since it comes well behind the best RW solo work (Amused To Death) and the best PF albums I give it 8/10. Love the sound effects on this one though.

MartinT
19-11-2013, 09:55
Since it comes well behind the best RW solo work (Amused To Death)

Radio KAOS for me.

Bazil
19-11-2013, 10:41
I know we normally give our own albums 10/10 but then what do we give our best ever ? I've given this 9/10 because I don't like the single "Not now John" and its not as good as AMD :D

Oldpinkman
19-11-2013, 11:24
I've given it a 6/10. I like some of the clever lyrics, and it is a great system test record, but there is nothing new happening musically, and it is, to quote Dave Gilmour, "very whinging". Just too introspective and self-pitying really for my taste. And a bit too naieve and simplistic about politics and dictators too. Without the sacrifices made by Waters father, and many others, in standing up to the likes of Hitler, we might have a very different world today. C J Sansom recently wrote a good book which makes the point well - Dominion. A recommended read.

sparrow
19-11-2013, 12:24
I love this album straight 10 from me..IMO it has Rogers best ever lyrics and some parts although very sad are great to reflect upon what he's trying to put across. Although I liked Lapse and The Division Bell this was the last great Floyd album they were never the same after this one....good choice Baz..

Barry
19-11-2013, 21:24
This is really the first part of 'Amused to Death'. I regard it as a rather self indugent and public display of Roger Waters exorcising his demons.

Not one of Floyd's best recordings by any means, if it can be even called a Pink Floyd album; though I will conceed it is a better album than The Wall. The 'sound effects' are trite: unless you are one of those who likes to show off his audio system to newcomers.

Actually I like 'Not now John' - 5/10 from me.

RichB
19-11-2013, 21:49
I give this a 9 as whilst its a Floyd album its not my favorite, nor is the best of Waters efforts (Amused to Death gets my vote for this). Nonetheless its still a corker with 'Not Now John' and 'Fletcher Memorial' being particular highlights for me. My band used to play Fletcher Memorial home in the middle of our second set and it always went down well and people would thank us for acknowledging this album as many of the other tributes wouldnt go near it, preferring the more well trodden material instead.

Alex_UK
19-11-2013, 22:11
Ashamed to say that although I have the 2011 remaster (as part of the set) I'm not even sure I've played it! :eek: A very rare working from home day tomorrow, so will give it a spin then. :)

loo
19-11-2013, 23:33
I like this , not Floyds best not even close to it but better than anything they have done without Rog , cant believe people prefer it to the wall but heyho, musically I find it very like hitchhiking ,some of his best vocals as well 7/10 from me

high.spirits
24-11-2013, 13:48
Just too introspective and self-pitying really for my taste. And a bit too naive and simplistic about politics and dictators too.

Tend to agree with Richard on this one.

I prefer The Wall, however still enjoyed the listen 7/10.

synsei
24-11-2013, 14:29
I treat The Final Cut as a Roger Waters album and as such I have never been a fan of it or other solo efforts from Roger. It's way too dark for my liking and frankly the entire album is a bit of a whinge. 5/10 from me.

Macca
24-11-2013, 16:22
Not played this in a long time so I gave it a spin out. As I remembered side 1 is a bit meh - although I like Water's lyrics and vocal style and he is a good writer of tunes. Good production, though. Side 2 picks it up a bit, the shell coming overhead and exploding is a great effect. I noticed how the same little musical motifs get used over all of the tracks - very classical. That had not occurred to me before, even though I have had this album 25 years or so. 'Not Now John' is a great rocker and I'd forgotten how much I love 'Two Suns in the Sunset' - I actually re-cued and played it again wit the volume up a bit more :). Great bit of sax on that one. Six out of ten from me.

Bazil
24-11-2013, 21:02
I have loved reading everybody's review of this album, the comparison to The Wall IMO is not fair really, The Wall is a masterpiece and The Final Cut is probably bits and pieces left over that RW turned into an album.
What is significant is that people picked out tracks as being very well liked and refer to them outside the album, nobody mentioned Paranoid Eyes which I play everytime I review a piece of Hi-Fi and is a really grower that lasts forever.
Anyway thank you all for your posts and keep them coming :clapclapclap:

Barry
24-11-2013, 21:55
I have loved reading everybody's review of this album, the comparison to The Wall IMO is not fair really, The Wall is a masterpiece and The Final Cut is probably bits and pieces left over that RW turned into an album. ....

I think the comparison is fair - both were 'concept' albums. True TFC should have been rolled into ‘Amused to Death’, edited and released as a single Roger Waters’s solo title.

But I also think that 'The Wall' is an inferior album. Bloated by the success of DSOTM, Floyd became addicted to ‘stadium rock’ performances (beautifully satirised by the film 'Spinal Tap') and ended with their heads up their arse.

loo
24-11-2013, 22:06
I think the comparison is fair - both were 'concept' albums. True TFC should have been rolled into ‘Amused to Death’, edited and released as a single Roger Waters’s solo title.

But I also think that 'The Wall' is an inferior album. Bloated by the success of DSOTM, Floyd became addicted to ‘stadium rock’ performances (beautifully satirised by the film 'Spinal Tap') and ended with their heads up their arse.
Sorry Barry but that's tosh :)
when the wall came out Floyd were on the decline if anything there decision to release their first single in donkeys years and it consequently becoming a number 1 was what made the wall so successful, the final cut are the songs not featured on the wall but Roger didn't want to waste them, Amused to death was years later
Paul

The Barbarian
24-11-2013, 22:14
When you listern to the back end of 'The Wall' , ''The Trial'' track you suddenly realise what a masterpiece the actual album is.. I just cannot get on with ''Another Brick Pt.II'' track..

Barry
24-11-2013, 22:18
when the wall came out Floyd were on the decline if anything there decision to release their first single in donkeys years and it consequently becoming a number 1 was what made the wall so successful, the final cut are the songs not featured on the wall but Roger didn't want to waste them, Amused to death was years later
Paul

Well that's your opinion Paul. Would you say the release of 'Money' as a single, made DSOTM successful? The songs in Final Cut, conceptually and thematically are quite separate from those in The Wall; they express betrayal and a cynical bitterness as to the way the world has become post WW2, and belong with Amused to Death.

The Wall is all about alienation and paranoia.

Well that’s my take on it all. :)

synsei
24-11-2013, 22:20
I like The Wall myself, I think it is a terrific album although it is not without its issues. It may possibly be because at the time of its release it meshed with what was going on in my life :)

loo
24-11-2013, 22:46
Well that's your opinion Paul. Would you say the release of 'Money' as a single, made DSOTM successful? The songs in Final Cut, conceptually and thematically are quite separate from those in The Wall; they express betrayal and a cynical bitterness as to the way the world has become post WW2, and belong with Amused to Death.

The Wall is all about alienation and paranoia.

Well that’s my take on it all. :)
Hi Barry
I doubt that the release of Money did any harm ;)
I think both albums are more about the bands inability to reconcile their treatment of Syd ,than the more obvious post war commercial themes
Paul

Barry
24-11-2013, 22:58
Hi Barry
I doubt that the release of Money did any harm ;)
I think both albums are more about the bands inability to reconcile their treatment of Syd, than the more obvious post war commercial themes
Paul

Hmmm - that's an interesting thought Paul. I thought it was the album 'Wish You Were Here', with the track Shine on You Crazy Diamond'.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of 'The Wall' (because I don't think it's very good), so can't re-listen to it with your thoughts in mind.

loo
24-11-2013, 23:04
Hmmm - that's an interesting thought Paul. I thought it was the album 'Wish You Were Here', with the track Shine on You Crazy Diamond'.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of 'The Wall' (because I don't think it's very good), so can't re-listen to it with your thoughts in mind.
Yes Shine on is their public homage to Syd , The Wall is more about personal guilt and misunderstanding, that's what I get any how, I have several copies if you want to borrow one ,I even have it on CD for the car if that's your preference
cheers Paul

MartinT
25-11-2013, 06:51
When you listern to the back end of 'The Wall' , ''The Trial'' track you suddenly realise what a masterpiece the actual album is.. I just cannot get on with ''Another Brick Pt.II'' track..

Funnily enough I remember servicing the terminal equipment at Islington Green school at the time they helped record that song.

For me there are several great moments like Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell interspersed with filler. It could have been a shorter, tighter, album.

synsei
25-11-2013, 21:00

That entire side is pretty special however I agree, The Trial is a wee masterpiece in itself. One Of My Turns is another of my faves...

(My apologies Andre, I hit the edit button by mistake on your post instead of 'quote'. Me bad... :eyebrows:)

pjdowns
25-11-2013, 21:23
Not my favourite album by Pink Floyd but still a good album 9/10

losenotaminute
21-02-2014, 19:53
I'm just catching up on AC, so gave this a try today. I like TPF but this was a bit slow for me, not enough up tempo tracks to keep my interest. I voted 6.

Lawrence

Macca
22-02-2014, 17:03
Paul

Can this be right? The Wall was released in '79 but The Final Cut specifically references Thatcher and the events of the Falklands conflict. The overall theme is of the pointlessness and stupidity of war and the post WWII decline seen as a betrayal of those who fought and died. This runs through all the songs. Whereas the Wall is about personal isolation and control. I can't see how the two cross over lyrically, although I could understand if some of the musical ideas were maybe left over from the Wall the lyrics, at least, do not appear to be.

sparrow
22-02-2014, 20:38
When the Floyd went into the studio to begin The Wall they were almost skint..if it hadn't have done well they would have been finished or at least dropped by EMI...there is a lot of leftover music used in The Final Cut but most of the lyrics by ole Roj were written for the album..I loved it then and still love the album and IMO although bleak and angry it contains some of THE best and mind provoking words than any other album and not just Floyd.