PDA

View Full Version : How do you rate this Marantz CD, Naim Nait 3, Kans system in my office ?

MikeMusic
15-11-2013, 13:07
Don't spend that much time listening to it and I wonder how good it is compared to other 2nd hand gear.

The Marantz (63 ?0) sits on the Nait 3 on a filing cabinet so hardly optimal
The Kans on Kan stands right opposite me

Rarely sounds good

istari_knight
15-11-2013, 16:16
Is the CD63 the vanilla version ? I'll reserve judgement as the SE/KI versions did improve it somewhat... The Nait 3 is a one trick pony that sounds good on short term listening & it can sound impressive especially if your music taste is limited to Eagles/Dire Straits etc but its really quite aggressive, bright & brittle sounding. The Kans are hateful little things... I can imagine the headaches induced by such as system ! I guess the whole lots worth around £500-£600 which could buy a lovely s/h system...

Of course the above is all IMO/IME, if you like the sound produced tell me to buzz off :D

hifi_dave
15-11-2013, 16:23
Is the CD63 the vanilla version ? I'll reserve judgement as the SE/KI versions did improve it somewhat... The Nait 3 is a one trick pony that sounds good on short term listening & it can sound impressive especially if your music taste is limited to Eagles/Dire Straits etc but its really quite aggressive, bright & brittle sounding. The Kans are hateful little things... I can imagine the headaches induced by such as system ! I guess the whole lots worth around £500-£600 which could buy a lovely s/h system...

Of course the above is all IMO/IME, if you like the sound produced tell me to buzz off :D

IMO, you are quite right with your summary.

IMO, the Marantz is bland, the Nait-3 is rough and picky about cables, the KANs are bright, lacking bass and body. But it's only an office system, so does it matter much ?

Gordon Steadman
15-11-2013, 16:29

IMO, the Marantz is bland, the Nait-3 is rough and picky about cables, the KANs are bright, lacking bass and body. But it's only an office system, so does it matter much ?

Don't know about the amp and speakers but I have the Cd63SE and find it very enjoyable with my system.

However, office system or not, surely it should still be enjoyable and make music. Mind you, probably better not to have it too good or you would have to listen to the damn thing and never get any work done:doh:

PaulStewart
16-11-2013, 08:16
Hi Mike,

To be honest, it sounds like a marrige (or to be more accurate a menage a trois) made it hell, the basic 63 is just uninvolving to say the least, I just don't like Naim amps at their best and the Nait 3 is far from their best and the Kans are a prime example of how to take a concept that loads of people have done well and utterly cock it up. Taken together the system could, in my opinion, like my ex wife give an asprin a headache.

However, if the 63 is a KI it's a keeper, I'd start with changing the Kans for some, well err speakers :) then the amp

Cheers

MikeMusic
16-11-2013, 12:07

Yes, vanilla. Brittle is a good description. I used to like the Kans. Not so sure now.
So what to put up against that then ?

MikeMusic
16-11-2013, 12:09

Well if I can get something better for the same or less dough, yes.
Ideas for better kit at similar or less prices 2nd hand much appreciated

MikeMusic
16-11-2013, 12:10
Don't know about the amp and speakers but I have the Cd63SE and find it very enjoyable with my system.

However, office system or not, surely it should still be enjoyable and make music. Mind you, probably better not to have it too good or you would have to listen to the damn thing and never get any work done:doh:
That's the office at home.
The office at work has a lot better and is on 99% of the day and helps me work very nicely :)

MikeMusic
16-11-2013, 12:14
Hi Mike,

To be honest, it sounds like a marrige (or to be more accurate a menage a trois) made it hell, the basic 63 is just uninvolving to say the least, I just don't like Naim amps at their best and the Nait 3 is far from their best and the Kans are a prime example of how to take a concept that loads of people have done well and utterly cock it up. Taken together the system could, in my opinion, like my ex wife give an asprin a headache.
However, if the 63 is a KI it's a keeper, I'd start with changing the Kans for some, well err speakers :) then the amp

Cheers

Thanks Paul
I don't like the Marantz as the ergonomics are counter intuitive - buttons in the wrong place. I have an Arcam Alpha I much prefer.Think it sounds better too, but that seems to be on it's last legs
I can swap around a few bits of kit and see where I go
Do you have suggestions for a 2nd hand kit set up at that sort of price level or less ?

Gordon Steadman
16-11-2013, 12:45
Thanks Paul
I don't like the Marantz as the ergonomics are counter intuitive - buttons in the wrong place.

????? How strange:). The buttons are where they are and I press 'em at need!! Sounds good to me though I have the SE version. How about Pioneer 300x and Wharfdale Diamonds?? Pretty cheap on eBay. Nice enough for the office I would think. I've heard both and enjoyed them for what they are.

MikeMusic
16-11-2013, 13:06
????? How strange:). The buttons are where they are and I press 'em at need!! Sounds good to me though I have the SE version. How about Pioneer 300x and Wharfdale Diamonds?? Pretty cheap on eBay. Nice enough for the office I would think. I've heard both and enjoyed them for what they are.

I've used a couple of Arcams, a NAD, Naim CDX, CDX2, Rega Isis CD and all fine. The Marantz is odd, placing and what the amount of buttons do too.
Diamonds to replace Kans ?
I could have had a pair for next to nothing recently....
Pioneer amp to out do a Nait 3 ?
Thinking (for a change) I have an Arcam amp and some Monitor Audio speakers I can try, as well as some Saras and Isobariks (must sell some kit !)

Gordon Steadman
16-11-2013, 13:24
Diamonds to replace Kans ?
Pioneer amp to out do a Nait 3 ?

Absolutely. Its the difference between music and hi-fi:eyebrows:

MikeMusic
16-11-2013, 13:39
Absolutely. Its the difference between music and hi-fi:eyebrows:

Oh
I'm struggling with that

Gordon Steadman
16-11-2013, 13:52
Oh
I'm struggling with that

Every time I have heard Naim and Linn stuff, I have found it impossible to get involved and just listen to what I find wrong with the sound. I could never understand the attraction:scratch:

I put a little system together for a friend with the 300x and the Diamonds and a CD player and it bopped. Couldn't believe it for the dosh. I think it cost about £100 all in.

MikeMusic
16-11-2013, 14:13
Every time I have heard Naim and Linn stuff, I have found it impossible to get involved and just listen to what I find wrong with the sound. I could never understand the attraction:scratch:

I put a little system together for a friend with the 300x and the Diamonds and a CD player and it bopped. Couldn't believe it for the dosh. I think it cost about £100 all in.

Think the last time I compared that to the Arcam set up it beat it hands down.
I'll have another go