PDA

View Full Version : Question about setting up two amps

blutonium92
12-11-2013, 23:14
Hi,
Just bought an Audioromy 828 valve amp off Zoidburg, really sound chap and glad to meet him and the amps working great.

I also have a Yamaha AS-500 solid state amp which i use with a self powered sub because it has the appropriate output, however the 828 doesnt have this. So for gaming and theater id like to use the AS-500 to power the speakers, but when using the PC for music and my TT id like to use the 828.

The yamaha does have inputs with dual RCA sockets (for recording).

http://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/800/draft_lens19052318module156366227photo_1326572509y amaha-a-s500.JPG

Is it possible that i could use the output from the PCs DAC to say the line 2 input and then have the REC output from the AS-500 to the 828?

Then i theory i could have both amps output to a switch which then fed the speakers with one wire?

Then i could switch between amps when i wanted.

Am i just being retarded or do you think it would work?

Firebottle
13-11-2013, 08:19
Yes that should work, I use a very similar arrangement but with a relay. When the valve amp is switched on the relay is powered and automatically switches the speakers onto the valve amp.
You need to know that either amplifier is stable without any speakers connected. It will depend on the circuitry of the Yamaha as to whether you need to leave it on to have a signal from the tape output. This is easy to ascertain by just switching the amp off and see if the signal disappears.

My two amps are 405-2 and my OTL, both of which are ok without a load connected.

:cool: Alan

blutonium92
14-11-2013, 20:49
Thanks for the reply, Iv ordered the bits i need so hopefully itll work. Will see when they arrive. Like you said not sure if ill have to have the yamaha on to pass the signal. Im guessing i wont but doesnt really matter either way.

Zoidburg
14-11-2013, 20:55
And get some pictures of it up in the gallery when its all sorted dude!