PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer A405 Possible Problem

cpjvej2012
12-11-2013, 20:46
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I have A Pioneer Amp of model A-405.

Been a good amp until past few days since its started losing sound on the right channel, via headphone and speakers. Only a turn off and turn on again cures the problem for all of an hour sometimes or maybe longer, other times it could be minutes!!

Checked all the usual, Time for a new amp ?

Thanks In Advance!!

Chris

synsei
12-11-2013, 21:02
I'm no expert Chris so hopefully one will be along soon, but it might be worth popping the lid and checking the condition of the major capacitors. Look for bulging electrolytics ;)

istari_knight
12-11-2013, 21:26
Does switching the speaker selector agitate the problem at all ? I would suspect the relay first & foremost... Remove the top cover & tap the relay with the plastic handle of a screwdriver, if the relay is at fault this will cause the right channel to cut in/out. They are cheap enough to replace [under £5] and require basic soldering/desoldering skills.

If you dont feel confident doing this I would recommend taking it to your local repairman or, if you cant find one Jez Arkless on here does repairs.

Its certainly not knackered & from what I can see in the service manual it doesnt look like a bad amp... Worth saving anyway !

cpjvej2012
13-11-2013, 15:30
Switching speakers selectors seems to be fine, Ive switched the source on the amp from CD to LINE and the problem has gone so I'm guessing its to do with that.

It is a good amp!

istari_knight
13-11-2013, 15:54
Hmm thats unusual... Usually the only difference between line level inputs is their individual phono sockets [they all go to the same place with no active components inbetween] that said, the front end on this amp is IC controlled so all bets are off.

Anyway, glad you got it working again for now :thumbsup:

tommy6206
14-11-2013, 14:08
Look for a dry joint on cd input socket or dirty contacks on input select switch..

istari_knight
14-11-2013, 14:17
Look for a dry joint on cd input socket or dirty contacks on input select switch..

Thats a thought but surely turning it off & back on wouldnt rectify the problem [even temporarily] if it was a dry joint / dirty switch ? I've seen Nad's with faulty IC's in the input section causing the sound to cut in/out but its usually accompanied with popping noises...