PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster MKII 192kHz Problem

ThELiZ
10-11-2013, 21:22
Hi guys,

I'm very happy with my new Bushmaster MKII.

The only problem I am having is that I can't seem to play 192kHz files with WASAPI. The sound just comes out as a fizzing sound (like dodgy valve sound). It does this without fail on all 192kHz recordings. No problems with 96kHz.

I have never had this problem before with any other DAC on my PC (albeit through USB)

Any ideas?

This happens both on foobar2000 and JRiver using WASAPI output and DirectSound. I'm using Windows 8.

Output is via optical from my ASRock H77 Pro4-M Motherboard. I've updated the Realtek driver to no avail.

I must say Stan has been excellent in that he has offered to take the DAC back, but I'd like to get this working as it is a great sounding DAC. I can also see that another member has been playing Norah Jones 24/192 version with no problems.

Thanks for any help.

struth
10-11-2013, 21:30
some soundcards wont do 192kh via toslink or coax but it will work with usb...

ThELiZ
10-11-2013, 21:33
The soundcard is listed as 192kHz capable and it is an option to select in my Windows sound options. Hmm, is it possible that it is the cable? Proably not, seeing as it works with other sample rates just fine.

ThELiZ
10-11-2013, 21:42
Right, I just had a fiddle with the optical cable and it 'fizzed' even more. I'll order a new cable and see if this does anything.

struth
10-11-2013, 21:57
ok....was just a thought:)

StanleyB
10-11-2013, 22:39
The soundcard might be 192KHz compatible, but is the TORX socket on the card also 192KHz compatible? A recent scan of for instance the EVO manual highlighted the fact that the unit is 192KHz capable, but the TOSLINK output socket only works up to 96KHz.

synsei
11-11-2013, 14:21
Just a thought, check that your settings are correct in Windows, particularly Supported Formats ;)

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/SupportedFormats.jpg (http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/Sgtgrash/media/Hifi%20Stuff/SupportedFormats.jpg.html)

Yomanze
11-11-2013, 18:34
Hi is there a way you can stick to 16 bit / 44.1kHz or 24 bit / 96kHz?

192kHz has plenty of documented stuff on the web about how it's a troublesome and inferior format sonically compared to the two mentioned alternatives for HiFi playback.

Hi guys,

I'm very happy with my new Bushmaster MKII.

The only problem I am having is that I can't seem to play 192kHz files with WASAPI. The sound just comes out as a fizzing sound (like dodgy valve sound). It does this without fail on all 192kHz recordings. No problems with 96kHz.

I have never had this problem before with any other DAC on my PC (albeit through USB)

Any ideas?

This happens both on foobar2000 and JRiver using WASAPI output and DirectSound. I'm using Windows 8.

Output is via optical from my ASRock H77 Pro4-M Motherboard. I've updated the Realtek driver to no avail.

I must say Stan has been excellent in that he has offered to take the DAC back, but I'd like to get this working as it is a great sounding DAC. I can also see that another member has been playing Norah Jones 24/192 version with no problems.

Thanks for any help.

sq225917
11-11-2013, 19:33
It is very, very unlikely that your optical out does 192khz, almost none of them do on computers 96khz is the standard upper limit. My Cambridge Audio CD840 would take 1920 input on optical, but even the Chord DAC 64 used to require a dual wire to do it.

capillaardiente
10-03-2014, 15:32
Hi!

How did you find a fix to this problem? I have the same issue on my Bushmaster MKII.

Thanks!

nat8808
10-03-2014, 16:37
The soundcard is listed as 192kHz capable and it is an option to select in my Windows sound options. Hmm, is it possible that it is the cable? Proably not, seeing as it works with other sample rates just fine.

I just looked at the manual for the motherboard - there are NO specified sample rates in the spec section. Therefore there is no statement from ASRock that the motherboard handles 192KHz.

Yes, the chipset might do and so they just tell you the chipset and allow you to put 2+2 together to get 5.

As Stanley and Simon say, it's unusual for the usual cheap optical output to handle 192KHz.

Get a proper soundcard or a motherboard with electrical digital output (not optical).

nat8808
10-03-2014, 16:40
Hi!

How did you find a fix to this problem? I have the same issue on my Bushmaster MKII.

Thanks!

Sounds like the problem is not the Bushmaster but the motherboard.

Have you tried a computer with a coax digital output instead? Or tested a different DAC with optical input to 192KHz with your computer?

I bet no other DAC will work on the optical output at 192KHz either (because the optical output on the mohterboard can't handle it..)

nat8808
10-03-2014, 16:41
Hi is there a way you can stick to 16 bit / 44.1kHz or 24 bit / 96kHz?

192kHz has plenty of documented stuff on the web about how it's a troublesome and inferior format sonically compared to the two mentioned alternatives for HiFi playback.

Nothing to do with the format!

It's all hardware implementation, especially the troublesome part.

synsei
10-03-2014, 16:51
This is why I would always plump for a mobo with coaxial digital output although they are becoming harder to find these days... :eyebrows:

capillaardiente
10-03-2014, 16:55
Sounds like the problem is not the Bushmaster but the motherboard.

Have you tried a computer with a coax digital output instead? Or tested a different DAC with optical input to 192KHz with your computer?

I bet no other DAC will work on the optical output at 192KHz either (because the optical output on the mohterboard can't handle it..)

Hi!

Yes, I've tested it with others DACs like FiiO E17, iDac, Esi Dr. Dac Prime, and all of them works fine at 192KHz. On Windows test at 24bits / 192KHz the Bushmaster have interferences, and the others none.

Thanks!

synsei
10-03-2014, 17:05
Hi!

Yes, I've tested it with others DACs like FiiO E17, iDac, Esi Dr. Dac Prime, and all of them works fine at 192KHz. On Windows test at 24bits / 192KHz the Bushmaster have interferences, and the others none.

Thanks!

There's something screwy going on there as all the mobo's I've researched recently for a new build (and that is a lot btw) output at a max of 96khz through the optical socket :scratch:

roob
10-03-2014, 19:30
Hi!

Thanks!
Isn't optical limited to 96KHz on the Fiio E17.?
From WHF review

If you have 24-bit/192kHz files, you’ll need to go into the E17 via its dedicated digital input, using a coaxial cable and the supplied adapter. If you use optical, bandwidth is limited to 96kHz.
Isn't the iDac usb only!!!

capillaardiente
10-03-2014, 23:00
Hi!

Yes, the FiiO E17 works at 24bit/192KHz with the SPDIF input. I could show you a picture tomorrow if you want (I have the FiiO on my job). My MoBo is an ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M. The audio chipset is the Realtek ALC892 http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284 that works with 192KHz by the optical output. I've tested it with the FiiO and ESI Dr DAC Prime, and iDac with USB. I think that maybe I've to download a driver or any nonsense, or maybe mi Beresford have a defect. I am emailing with Stanley and he is giving me some options, so I don't have any doubt about him and his work.

Thanks!

nat8808
11-03-2014, 09:04
Hi!

Yes, the FiiO E17 works at 24bit/192KHz with the SPDIF input. I could show you a picture tomorrow if you want (I have the FiiO on my job). My MoBo is an ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M. The audio chipset is the Realtek ALC892 http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=284 that works with 192KHz by the optical output. I've tested it with the FiiO and ESI Dr DAC Prime, and iDac with USB. I think that maybe I've to download a driver or any nonsense, or maybe mi Beresford have a defect. I am emailing with Stanley and he is giving me some options, so I don't have any doubt about him and his work.

Thanks!

The ESI Dr DAC Prime doesn't have an optical input so you must have used that with USB too..

You have a different motherboard to the original poster and visually it has a different optical connector so you're problem could be a completely different one to the other poster, maybe it's a more recent motherboard and they fixed the previous issue?

I'm sure Stanley will get to the bottom of it.

capillaardiente
11-03-2014, 09:30
Hi!

My problem could have different origin as original poster but i don't know how he fixed it, maybe it's the same fix.

The DrDac Prime have optical input as you can see in the picture:

http://www.esi-audiotechnik.com/pictures/drdacprime_sub2_large.jpg

I know that Stan is working on it, and giving a perfect service.

Thanks!

Søren
11-04-2014, 16:11
I just bought one of these https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argonaudio.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F09%2FBT2-UK-12-19-2013A5format.pdf

It outputs 24/192 on the optical output. BM2 plays, but with some stutter/noise. I have tried with two different cables, with identical results :scratch: