PDA

View Full Version : For Sale IAS Ashurst 1/4 Loaded Horn Speakers

dantheman91
08-11-2013, 18:03
Hello,

Time to admit defeat on these babies there just to big for my current room.

They are IAS Speakers (Integrated Audio Systems) a little Southampton company of HI end
speakers from the 70s & 80's these ones are a very rare pre production models and a 1/4 loaded. They have Richard Allen 8 inch bass drivers and danish tweeter which are superb. These are in fantastic condition and sound wonderful with the right equipment. They sound transparent with deep bass extension but is also vary tight and does not lose control and the bottom. The cabs are in good order for nearly 30 years old. Can demo. Price is to sell no offers unless on AOS there excellent starting horns and would cost equivalent of £800 in the 80's i think. They do image excellently with great scale for vocal and strong tight bass they also put the 3d image across on a decent system. For sale as too many speakers about EG Rogers , Missions & Tannoy's although i have had them since January 2013 they have been rarely used in this time and would like them to good to a loving home

These were built by Stewart wen in Southampton and he did own them before me and did do a xover rebuild i believe they have been updated to take neutrik connectors. Picture borrowed from stu.

Any questions email me....

Thanks
Dan

dantheman91
09-11-2013, 08:49
Withdrawn for the time being chaps...

dantheman91
28-03-2014, 07:59
£125......collection from bournemouth.

synsei
28-03-2014, 09:05
These speakers intrigue me Dan and as such I would be interested in hearing your thoughts concerning how they compare with the DM2's you've recently acquired, if you would be so kind? ;)

dantheman91
28-03-2014, 09:36
Hi Dave

Thats tricky

Well they compare very well to the DM2's the style of both cabs is sort of transmission line but the IAS are rear ported with terms of sound quality i say that the IAS has weaknesses & strengths as much as the DM2's that being the enormous treble response you got from them the IAS that is. :D. Saying that the DM2's are on the same level but i need to get some stands for them as the bass on the floor is not bad but can be improved by lifting them.

Direct comparison would be equal each as good as the other.:) but thats me others may think different.

I don't really want to let them go but needs must

synsei
28-03-2014, 10:25
Hi Dave

Thats tricky

Well they compare very well to the DM2's the style of both cabs is sort of transmission line but the IAS are rear ported with terms of sound quality i say that the IAS has weaknesses & strengths as much as the DM2's that being the enormous treble response you got from them the IAS that is. :D. Saying that the DM2's are on the same level but i need to get some stands for them as the bass on the floor is not bad but can be improved by lifting them.

Direct comparison would be equal each as good as the other.:) but thats me others may think different.

I don't really want to let them go but needs must

Hmmm, it's a shame you are so far away as I'd like to hear the Ashurst's in my system.

As for the DM2's, my pair sit on Atacama SL400 stands when in use as I find 400mm to be about the optimal height to allow them to really shine in this room. I realise this flies in the face of B&W's own recommendations but I find the lower registers can sound a little woolly with them placed close to the floor. Sat on the Atacama's bass is taut and well extended and because the stands place the tweeters at ear level (as near as dammit) imaging is spot on, this also allows them to project an immense, three dimensional soundstage. The DM2's benefit from being toed in a little although it is important not to over do it otherwise that soundstage collapses ;)

dantheman91
28-03-2014, 15:36
Hi Dave

You could always ask someone to collect them i'm sure the fellas on here would help you out.

As for stands for the DM2 i need some ASAP they sound nice on the floor but imagine they would be GREAT on stands

Defiantly keepers used in the lounge system with the Quads :D

Ninanina
28-03-2014, 20:34
These speakers intrigue me Dan and as such I would be interested in hearing your thoughts concerning how they compare with the DM2's you've recently acquired, if you would be so kind? ;)

Dave
I thought you said that 'horn speakers were not for you"... ??

I think my Klipsch do sooo much right that any of their shortcomings are easily forgotten!!

You might be surprised with horn speakers.... I think some of what my horns do right is quite spoooooky and VERY revealing...

I'm not a MILLION miles from Bournemouth and I MAY be able to be an "inbetweeeeeny" sort of thing if you are interested... let me know what you think... :) :)

vinylspinner
28-03-2014, 20:44
Hi Dan,

I have a silver set of Atacama 400 stands that I used with my DM2 speakers, can send them to you for £35 delivered if interested.

regards

Nigel

struth
28-03-2014, 21:39
Look very nice but not sure about how u use them....what about the mid range, or is that taken care of between the other 2.??

dantheman91
28-03-2014, 21:42
Hi Grant

Yes the mid range is supplied by the Richard Allen CB8 Drivers.

Ninanina
28-03-2014, 22:00
Dan
How much for the lovely gingy cat??

I'll take him.... :lol:

struth
28-03-2014, 22:11
If I can find a way of getting them to Scotland I would take them.........

dantheman91
28-03-2014, 22:21
Dan
How much for the lovely gingy cat??

I'll take him.... :lol:

You would need to ask Stewart wenn thats his moggy i have 2 of my own.

Ninanina
28-03-2014, 23:29
You would need to ask Stewart wenn thats his moggy i have 2 of my own.

Damn it.... I'd defo take him... He's yummy :D

synsei
29-03-2014, 10:34
Dave
I thought you said that 'horn speakers were not for you"... ??

I think my Klipsch do sooo much right that any of their shortcomings are easily forgotten!!

You might be surprised with horn speakers.... I think some of what my horns do right is quite spoooooky and VERY revealing...

I'm not a MILLION miles from Bournemouth and I MAY be able to be an "inbetweeeeeny" sort of thing if you are interested... let me know what you think... :) :)

I don't think I've ever said that Bev. As I understand it transmission lines are a form of horn loading and something which the DM2's utilise to great effect. There are certain horn loaded speakers which don't float my boat however, perhaps that's where the confusion lies? :scratch:

I'd like to hear the Ashurst's in my system before coming to a decision on them but unfortunately that is unlikely to happen due to the distances involved... :(

dantheman91
30-03-2014, 15:50
That is an issue Dave..:scratch:

Put them in the main rig last night & :fingers: smiles all round.

Ninanina
31-03-2014, 23:09
I don't think I've ever said that Bev. As I understand it transmission lines are a form of horn loading and something which the DM2's utilise to great effect. There are certain horn loaded speakers which don't float my boat however, perhaps that's where the confusion lies? :scratch:

I'd like to hear the Ashurst's in my system before coming to a decision on them but unfortunately that is unlikely to happen due to the distances involved... :(

Well you did say my Heresy's were not your thing.... so maybe it's just the Klipsch way of doing things that is not your cup of tea, although if you haven't ACTUALLY heard a Klipsch it might be quite an eye opener for you

I can't comment on the Ashurst's though, as I've never heard them, I guess they have their own way of horn loading which is not the same as the Klipsch way

However the Ashurst's do seem extremely good value to me... ;)

hoopsontoast
01-04-2014, 06:54
Well you did say my Heresy's were not your thing.... so maybe it's just the Klipsch way of doing things that is not your cup of tea, although if you haven't ACTUALLY heard a Klipsch it might be quite an eye opener for you

I can't comment on the Ashurst's though, as I've never heard them, I guess they have their own way of horn loading which is not the same as the Klipsch way

However the Ashurst's do seem extremely good value to me... ;)

I have had both the Klipsch and the Ashursts. They are both horn loaded but in opposite ends. The Heresey use a sealed bass driver and horn Mid-Treble drivers where as the Ashurst uses a Richard Allan wide range driver in a compact horn slash 1/4 wave pipe hybrid enclosure with a dome tweeter on top.
The Ashursts were incredibly easy to drive and have quite tight and punchy bass. Not the deepest bass considering the size but its very well controlled, quite smooth in the mid-treble too.

dantheman91
17-07-2014, 14:55
Bump..............

steve s
12-08-2014, 19:04
Hi Dan,

How big are the Ashurst's compared to the Beaulieu's ?

dantheman91
12-08-2014, 19:39
Hi Dan,

How big are the Ashurst's compared to the Beaulieu's ?

Hi Steve

About the same probably if not a little shorter but also still excellent. Hmm miss the Beaulieu's used to have a pair sold to Stewart wen of this parish he built them and worked for IAS in Southampton.

steve s
13-08-2014, 18:56
Got some Beaulieu's myself, built in the Swaythling workshop (maybe by Stuart, not sure) but not a production pair. They're the ones in my Avatar. They've been upgraded somewhat ... Volt bass drivers, upgraded tweets and x/o's etc.... Had them 20 years and I love 'em ... they're a bit full on for my listening environment at the moment tho' :eek:

dantheman91
14-08-2014, 05:43
Got some Beaulieu's myself, built in the Swaythling workshop (maybe by Stuart, not sure) but not a production pair. They're the ones in my Avatar. They've been upgraded somewhat ... Volt bass drivers, upgraded tweets and x/o's etc.... Had them 20 years and I love 'em ... they're a bit full on for my listening environment at the moment tho' :eek:

Wanna sell them............:ner:

steve s
14-08-2014, 17:42
:lol: :lol: what, for 40 quid like you paid for your last one's ? .......now let me see .... :scratch:

dantheman91
14-08-2014, 17:50
:lol: :lol: what, for 40 quid like you paid for your last one's ? .......now let me see .... :scratch:

Hi

Come on i wasn't gonna turn them down at that price :eyebrows:.

steve s
14-08-2014, 20:10
..... and neither would I dan !!

dantheman91
01-09-2014, 13:26
Up................

It Cost How Much!?!
01-09-2014, 15:32
Hi Steve

About the same probably if not a little shorter but also still excellent. Hmm miss the Beaulieu's used to have a pair sold to Stewart wen of this parish he built them and worked for IAS in Southampton.

He may not have done. I believe he was a listener and no more.

dantheman91
10-09-2014, 12:40
Up...........

dantheman91
25-09-2014, 17:05
Up...................

dantheman91
17-04-2015, 14:05
£160 Final collection only from Bournemouth............

dantheman91
13-08-2015, 14:18
£140..Demo welcome time to clear the den....

dantheman91
29-08-2015, 13:28
£130..?

Open to offers

:)

dantheman91
31-10-2015, 16:58
£100 beer money for a perfectly good set of speakers

:)

dantheman91
08-11-2015, 13:56
£90?

:) Someone must want them :scratch:

dantheman91
14-11-2015, 06:27
£70...:)

Ninanina
14-11-2015, 21:09
Hi Dan PM sent...

dantheman91
22-01-2016, 18:23
Free....As they are not being used and haven't been for sometime the last time their taking up vital room and just i checked i'm not sure one of the tweeters was working :rolleyes:

Collection from bournemouth any body fancy the cabs for a project their very clean...

struth
22-01-2016, 18:31
not got any boxes Dan?

dantheman91
22-01-2016, 18:50
not got any boxes Dan?

Hi Grant

Sorry my old mate unfortunately not

dantheman91
25-01-2016, 13:25
Taken....