PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic anounces an end to plasma tv production .

chris@panteg
07-11-2013, 10:13
End of an era I guess .

Details here .

http://www.whathifi.com/news/panasonic-officially-ends-plasma-tv-production?utm_source=Silverpop&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=WHFI%20ENews%20Bulletin%20%2806.11.20 13%29&utm_content=articlehead_1

Spectral Morn
07-11-2013, 10:37
Been on the cards for awhile - what now? Plasma while flawed still looks better than the other flat panel tech out there imho.

Regards Neil

Oldpinkman
07-11-2013, 10:40
I know absolutely squat less a bit about the technologies here. My geek friend from Holland started explaining it on his recent visit whilst looking at my TV and it lost me.

However, the Mrs and stepson spent hours sitting in front of TV's to choose our new one which is a Phillips LED 47" and is the best I have seen, and to a man, everyone coming to the house says the same.

So presumably LED's are pretty good

:cool:

chris@panteg
07-11-2013, 10:42
Well its all LCD with LED back light at the moment , wait for OLED then ? must be the way forward surely .

Spectral Morn
07-11-2013, 10:45
Well its all LCD with LED back light at the moment , wait for OLED then ? must be the way forward surely .

I am sorry I got rid of my 37 inch Panasonic CRT TV :( Don't get me wrong HD looks great as does Blu Ray - mostly - still some digital artefacting evident, but standard digital to my eyes looked much better on the CRT TV.

Anyway we are where we are now and its pick from the best of what's available.

Regards Neil

MartinT
07-11-2013, 11:14
That's very sad as I selected my Panny 42" HD plasma on picture quality grounds. I love its natural colours and great resolution. Wish now in a way I had bought the 46" version, but one doesn't want the TV to dominate a listening room, does one?

MartinT
07-11-2013, 11:21
Goodness me, I see that the 50" TX-P50X60B is going for only £459 on Amazon. Perhaps I should upgrade while I can?

Correction: no good as it's only 'HD Ready'. £699 is required for the full HD one.

losenotaminute
07-11-2013, 12:17
Have been using a 32" Phillips CRT TV for more than 10 years and am very happy with it. It has a built-in anti theft device in that it weighs about 30kg and is worth about £10;) Advantages are that the picture and sound are excellent and it uses very little power. I have no desire to move to HD or 3D, can't see the point when my existing TV works well.

Audio Al
07-11-2013, 12:36
My 52" LG LCD is amazing on HD almost like watching live at the event :)

The Barbarian
20-11-2013, 02:00
Our Samsung LCD TV must be ten years old easy.. I much prefer the picture quality to the new TV's i see in the shops..This old one is very Analogue looking picture which pleases the old Barbarian lad ole & it just won't die :) It cost us nearly three as much as an equivalent would cost these days :doh:

MartinT
20-11-2013, 07:14
You can't judge any TV in the shops. They are all set to 'demo' or 'vivid' mode and look horrible, with over-saturated colours and over-sharpened edges. Once you get them home reset them to 'normal' or better still 'THX' mode and you should get nice natural colours and good resolution. Don't forget that plasma sets need a little running-in for the colours to fully saturate, not sure about LCD.

Ali Tait
20-11-2013, 09:54
A good idea to buy a set up dvd, can make a real difference IMHO.

MartinT
20-11-2013, 10:32
Yep, I use this one:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FMBadQJeL.jpg

The Barbarian
20-11-2013, 10:40
I know what you are saying Martin but in all honesty new TV's look very clear & sharp looking compared {Something i don't like}, i played about with my mates new panasonic TV, no way can i get it to look like ours does, as no way can i get ours to look like his..

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 10:46
Yep, I use this one:

What I shall get when I eventually buy a Plasma !

MartinT
20-11-2013, 11:44
Depends if you'll have a Blu-ray spinner by then! It's no good testing an HD set with SD pictures.

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 12:11
Depends if you'll have a Blu-ray spinner by then! It's no good testing an HD set with SD pictures.
Unlikely. If hifi is 10 out of 10 then TV is around 5 or maybe less. Buying any sort of TV kit is very low importance.
Not sure why. Similar with cameras, just can't get excited about them

MartinT
20-11-2013, 12:32
Yes, but you can put a Blue-ray player in your shopping trolley next to the spuds, these days.

EDIT: my old Sony multi-region Blue-ray/DVD player is in the garage which you can have cheap, if you like?

Barry
20-11-2013, 12:50
Yes, but you can put a Blue-ray player in your shopping trolley next to the spuds, these days.

EDIT: my old Sony multi-region Blue-ray/DVD player is in the garage which you can have cheap, if you like?

If it is truly multi-region (Sony being film makers usually arrange for their players to be region fixed - and this is done with hardware, so cannot be "reprogrammed") Martin, then I'll buy it off you.

PM me with details

Thanks

MikeMusic
20-11-2013, 13:03

Thanks for the offer. I have a Toshiba DVD player that hasn't been turned on in months, likely not at all this year.
I do have a rather nice record deck and CD player that get a lot is use though
:)

MartinT
20-11-2013, 13:22
PM me with details

As Mike is not interested, PM sent. It is truly region 1/2/A/B , by the way, with a hardware mod that allows the region to be set before inserting a disc. I never buy players which are single region as many of my discs are purchased in the USA.