PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 118: 05.11.2013: Chris Farlowe - Hungary for the Blues

Album Club
05-11-2013, 00:04
This week we have the album suggestion from the latest of our new members of Album Club. So it's thanks to Martin (high.spirits) for giving us this live album.....

Chris Farlowe - Hungary for the Blues (2006)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/514HOJe-2eL.jpg

spotify:album:0Pzi6KDz1Xn87qyAlQWVLE

This is a live recording that takes me back to the 1960’s when I saw Chris live – great memories.
I love live recordings when they convey real atmosphere, which I believe this does. Chris had/has a great voice and did not get the full recognition I believe he deserved.

Hungary for the Blues is his third live album released in 2006. I think it’s only available on CD.
This album is a recording of two performances by Farlowe. One was on June 18th 2000 at the Gastroblues Festival Paks, in Hungary, and other was on October 8th, 2004 at the Charlys Musikkneipe, in Oldenburg.

Info from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Farlowe) - Chris Farlowe was born John Henry Deighton, 13 October 1940, in Islington, North London, and is an English rock, blues and soul singer.

He is best known for his hit single "Out of Time", which rose to #1 in the UK Singles Chart in 1966, and his association with Colosseum and the Thunderbirds.

He also covered versions of Rolling Stones songs including "Paint It, Black", "Think", "Ride On, Baby", "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction", and "Out of Time". He also recorded Mike d'Abo's "Handbags and Gladrags", my preferred version compared to the Sterophonics and Rod Stewart.

Track Listing:
1. "I Don't Want to Sing the Blues no More" (Chris Farlowe) -4:03
2. "Lonesome Road" (Roy Herrington) -6:26
3. "Stormy Monday" (T-Bone Walker) -8:09
4. "All or Nothing (Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane) -3:43
5. "Tough on Me, Tough on You" (Hoy Lindsey/Lonnie Mack) -6:33
6. "Shaky Ground (Jeffrey Bowen/Al Boyd/Eddie Hazel) -6:45
7. "The Guitar Don't Lie" (Tony Joe White) -7:26
8. "I Thing It's Gonna Rain Today" (Randy Newman) -1:47
9. "Easy as That" (Rickie Byrd) -5:16
10. "Out of Time" (Mick Jagger/Keith Richards) -4:39
11. "Who's Been Sleeping in my Bed" (Glenn Frey) -3:40
12. "Miss You Fever" (Dennis Morgan/Feargal Sharkey) -6:39
o Tracks 1-12 recorded at Gastroblues Festival Paks (June 18, 2000)
13. "Handbags and Gladrags" (Mike D'Abo) -6:46
14. "Rock N' Roll Soldier" (Troy Seal) -7:00
o Tracks 13-14 recorded at Charlys Musikkneipe (October 8, 2004)

Another collection of his songs - mainly studio recordings from past years, can be found on: Handbags & Gladrags: Immediate Collection 2004

Bazil
05-11-2013, 11:57
When The Stereophonics had the hit with Gladrags I was always going on at work about Chris Farlowe's version being better, but nobody had heard of him.
That song along with Out Of Time always take me back to the 60's.
Never heard this album really looking forward to it.

jollyfix
05-11-2013, 14:57
Like Baz i have not heard this album, looking forward to it too.

The Grand Wazoo
05-11-2013, 19:38
Andre, if you're not prepared to listen to the album (& I know that you are not), then please don't vote. You know the way this is supposed to work and your rather selfish actions have spoiled the vote for weeks on end now.

pjdowns
05-11-2013, 22:55
Yeah like this album a lot - never heard of Chris Farlowe but he'll certainly be on my to buy pile. Easily a 8/10 from me :)

Paul.

Bazil
06-11-2013, 13:09
I don't like blues much and the first three tracks were far too bluesy but with the Small Faces tune things really got on their way. This album was an excellent recording of a live show I felt I was in the audience, its a pity the last two tracks were not a the same show. I'll give it 6/10 which is pretty high from me given I don't like the genre.
There is a good youtube vid interviewing Mike D'abo about his song Handbags, Martin hope you don't mind this being posted here.

http://youtu.be/ebkyfKhEgZk

Rare Bird
06-11-2013, 16:09
Andre, if you're not prepared to listen to the album (& I know that you are not), then please don't vote. You know the way this is supposed to work and your rather selfish actions have spoiled the vote for weeks on end now.

Put my vote back where it was or im done here. It has absolutley no buisness of yours what i vote regardless, if i want to go voting zero i will. You removing votes is out of order imho..

The Grand Wazoo
06-11-2013, 18:35
Put my vote back where it was or im done here.....
Andre, the point of this is that you listen to the record and say what you think about it and then vote. You are supposed to listen to it even if it is your favourite album and you know it inside out. That is why we do this and the rules have been clear since it started.
You haven't listened to the album and you haven't discussed it, so you are not entitled to vote. You've done it repeatedly and people have commented that it's spoiling the whole thing for everyone. It also looks to me like you've gone back today and given a score of 1 to all those threads where you haven't already voted - why not zero?

It has absolutley no buisness of yours what i vote regardless, if i want to go voting zero i will.
It is my business if you don't follow the rules of the forum or the thread.
If you had listened to the album and then said why you didn't like it, then no-one would have a problem with you voting zero - that's why the zero is there.

You removing votes is out of order imho..
As it happens, I didn't remove your vote - I don't have the necessary permissions to do it even if I had wanted to. If you're going to issue threats, you'd better do that to Marco.

synsei
06-11-2013, 18:49
Let's face it André you are only voting the way you are out of facetiousness. Your soul interest lies in progressive music, which is fine, but your voting practices are akin to sticking two fingers up to the rest of us who have other tastes in music. I don't impose my musical tastes on you so don't do it to me.

RichB
06-11-2013, 22:12
I can't see me digging this but I'm off to give it a bedtime listen, which is when I do all my catching up on album club. Then I'll be back to cast my vote. This is the way of the album club.

pjdowns
06-11-2013, 22:22
See ya!!!

high.spirits
07-11-2013, 10:33
There is a good youtube vid interviewing Mike D'abo about his song Handbags, Martin hope you don't mind this being posted here.

http://youtu.be/ebkyfKhEgZk

Thanks for posting the video Baz, I did not see the original programme.

loo
07-11-2013, 19:47
Nice choice I know his early work my Mums a fan but don't know this album ,thoroughly enjoyed it, a great performance and a nice live recording
6/10 from me would have been a 7 but no vinyl available:(
Paul

loo
07-11-2013, 19:51
Put my vote back where it was or im done here. It has absolutley no buisness of yours what i vote regardless, if i want to go voting zero i will. You removing votes is out of order imho..
+1 seems a bit unfair bashing Andre at least he bothers to vote and I had noticed a couple of 1 votes since his jollys ;)

high.spirits
07-11-2013, 22:20
6/10 from me would have been a 7 but no vinyl available:(
Paul

Thanks for the feedback and yes its a shame no vinyl......

Tim
08-11-2013, 17:05
+1 seems a bit unfair bashing Andre at least he bothers to vote and I had noticed a couple of 1 votes since his jollys ;)
The thing is and I like André a lot, the point is you are supposed to listen to the album objectively and then vote accordingly, hopefully with some comment as to why you have scored whatever score you have awarded. As Chris and most of us who know André have realised, it is very doubtful he has listened to the album (in its entirety) so the vote is not a true reflection and for those of us who enjoy album club, it skews the vote and can be unfair on the poster who has taken the time to submit an album. I might be doing André an injustice here and if I have I apologise, but I very much doubt he has listened to the music, which it appears he keeps voting Zero for. I think that's the point being made, as I certainly wouldn't 'bash' André as I like him and enjoy reading his posts, but the spirit of album club is not being adhered to.

loo
08-11-2013, 17:23
Hi Tim I understand the point about listening to the album and while you may be right I still believe it unfair to assume that to be the case , and when less than half the participants of album club bother to vote or listen to albums it just seems churlish to critisize Andre's participation
Cheers Paul

Tim
08-11-2013, 18:33
I'm going to give this a 6/10. I have heard the name before, but didn't really know anything about Chris, so it was interesting to discover something new. I enjoyed the musical performances of the album, but his voice may have seen better days, hence the 6. However, I am going to explore his early offerings as I love blues, so thanks for the intro to something new Martin, which is always a good thing as far as I'm concerned ;)

John
08-11-2013, 19:52
Their are several reasons why we started album club.
The first is to share albums that members enjoy. For me it does not matter if someone likes or dislike music as its all so personal.
The other is to enjoy the Banter and debate.
Andre is well liked by a lot of us I admire his knowledge and honesty. I think to constantly vote 1 without comments misses the spirit of Album Club. Andre has a great passion for progressive music within a certain time frame and I learn a lot from his knowledge even if I do not always agree with his views.

Audioman
13-11-2013, 11:17
This performance sounds like a cross between generic blues and MOR. Dumbed down to suite the limitations of the artist's older voice or to suit the cabaret circuit, Fine backing band but classic tracks such as Out Of Time and Handbags have arrangements that suck the life out of the originals. Hard going - probably better if you were there on the night? 4/10.