PDA

View Full Version : Interconnect Advice Please.

DaveK
25-05-2009, 22:13
Hi all,
Please see fleabay Item number: 120422715691 and advise if it makes any sense to you - never heard of these type.
:cool:

Spectral Morn
25-05-2009, 22:39
Hi all,
Please see fleabay Item number: 120422715691 and advise if it makes any sense to you - never heard of these type.

Hi Dave in a word NO. I think anything with fluid in it and from the photo this does look like oil, is not worth looking at. If the seal on the rca jacks breaks the oil could leak out.....wow what a mess and might leak into your kit. Unless someone else can vouch for these I would walk on by.....to risky IMHO.

Regards D S D L

Barry
25-05-2009, 22:41
I would ask the seller how frequently do you need to change the oil. 15,000 miles, hours?

They look pretty, are probably OK and as exotic interconnects go, are reasonably priced. Just think of the fun you can have listening for the sonic signature of the oil. Is corn oil better than olive oil, or is palm oil better than rape seed oil?

Have fun

Barry

The Grand Wazoo
25-05-2009, 22:46
I would ask the seller how frequently do you need to change the oil. 15,000 miles, hours?

They look pretty, are probably OK and as exotic interconnects go, are reasonably priced. Just think of the fun you can have listening for the sonic signature of the oil. Is corn oil better than olive oil, or is palm oil better than rape seed oil?

Have fun

Barry

Extra Virgin Kalamata olive oil is the only thing for interconnects - I thought everyone knew that - pah, call yourselves hi-fi people?

Marco
25-05-2009, 23:03
I have a penchant for Valvoline, myself.

Marco.

DaveK
25-05-2009, 23:17
I have no interest in buying any, be reassured, I am careful about what I buy from Hong Kong or anywhere else in China, but I have bought the odd item. My interest was in their marketing claim, "Tube Amp Sounding" - are they really ??, and if so, can you change the Tube Amp sound by changing the oil? :lolsign:

Ali Tait
26-05-2009, 07:15
Well you do get fluid-cooled valve amps!

The Grand Wazoo
26-05-2009, 07:20
"Tube-amp sounding?"

...........it's a load of old loblocks, Dave.

maxrob200
26-05-2009, 07:23

I think after the first 500 hours of electrical signals you would need to check the fluid pressure in the interconnects. At 5,000 hours the seals may need tightening and at 10,000 hours the cables may need to go back for a timing check and new fluid

Mike
26-05-2009, 10:56
For a more vintage sound try Duckhams Q ;)

sponge
26-05-2009, 18:30
Hey Dave, Save your money - Us DIYers could easily hack that - Couple of lengths of garden hose, 4 rubber bungs. a good length of copper wire and half a gallon of Flora cooking oil. You could even fit a drain tap to aid oil changes should you want to alter the sound signature - And you can always use the drained oil to fry your chips.

Job done - Complete interconnect cable for less than a quid.

Ken

Mike Reed
26-05-2009, 18:41
For a more vintage sound try Duckhams Q ;)

Well, Oil be blowed!

Spectral Morn
26-05-2009, 19:48
Well you do get fluid-cooled valve amps!

Von GayLord.....oil cooled valve amplifiers
http://blog.stereophile.com/he2006/VonGaylo.jpg

Link http://www.vongaylordaudio.com/product_html/prouni.htm

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
26-05-2009, 21:18
Mobil 1 for a fast sound! :)

DaveK
26-05-2009, 22:10
Oh ye of little faith !!! It's a good job job you guys weren't around when that guy first suggested that the earth may not, after all, be flat; or even when that Darwin guy suggested that we had evolved from apes. I asked for opinions on what was being claimed and all I got was humour (?). :)(of sorts).
I guess that your reluctance to express a serious opinion infers that you don't think that they have much to commend them, but has anyone had any experience, or know anyone who has had any experience, of this type of interconnect?
One of the benefits of being a newbie to this subject is that my mind is completely open to new (to me) ideas.
Please don't take this as a serious criticism - I can and do see the humour of the subject but I didn't expect the humourous to be virtually the only sort of response. I am surprised (or have I missed something with my speed reading) that no-one has mentioned that they are obviously filled with snake oil so there should be no shortage of refill material as, when and if it is required. :lolsign:

PS and totally unconnected: -
Is this forum beginning to seriously fall apart? I for one will be very sad if it is. I mention this as today I have read two seperate posts, (on separate threads) where the two pairs of contributors have clearly 'lost their rag' with each other. What is happening to the friendly ethos here?

Ali Tait
26-05-2009, 22:46
The simple answer is-I haven't got a clue! Never seen one,or heard one for that matter. But I suspect it's all just hype and would be a waste of money.Cables filled with oil are used for high-voltage purposes,but the oil is under pressure and acts as an insulator.I fail to see the relevance as far as a hi-fi interconnect goes.As for your other comments,well no-one's lost their rag on this thread.Surely you must be used to the preponderance of thread drift on this forum by now? ;)

Barry
26-05-2009, 22:51
I guess that your reluctance to express a serious opinion infers that you don't think that they have much to commend them, but has anyone had any experience, or know anyone who has had any experience, of this type of interconnect?
Please don't take this as a serious criticism - I can and do see the humour of the subject but I didn't expect the humourous to be virtually the only sort of response. .......

OED definition: 'humourous' (< Latin humorosus); moist, humid, damp. Thus, the humourous nature of the replies to your original post would seem to be entirely appropriate.

Actually it is difficult to comment on this type of interconnect. I have never seen oil-filled cables before, though I am aware of gel-filled cables. Looking at the ebay photo, these cables would seem to use a twisted pair of insulated wires for the electrical connection. As such, the oil dielectric will only have a small effect on the transmission properties of the cable. I suspect that its only virtue is perhaps to reduce any microphonics the cable might have. Again I suspect that a silicon oil is used; this has a higher density than mineral oil, so would be better to 'damp' out microphonics. Electrically, silicon oil has a higher dielectric constant and lower loss than mineral oil.

Go on, buy a set and write a review for the AoS forum.

Regards
Barry

PS Apropos your post scriptum; yes, I too was surprised/shocked at the posts to which you refer. I'm sure it will sort itself out - I certainly hope so!

Spectral Morn
26-05-2009, 23:11
Is this forum beginning to seriously fall apart? I for one will be very sad if it is. I mention this as today I have read two seperate posts, (on separate threads) where the two pairs of contributors have clearly 'lost their rag' with each other. What is happening to the friendly ethos here?

Hi Dave

I think I know of what you refer, though I was listening to Trough-Line tuners and Revox this afternoon for a write up, for SOG so I did not read what you refer to as it happened. Guys don't worry AOS is not falling apart and the friendly atmosphere is one of the things we treasure a lot here. However we are all human at the end of these funny wires (internet) and sometimes we can...well get a bit annoyed/hurt etc....please remember that and make allowances.

As to the cables...the sad fact is we don't all (me included) have experience of everything. I use PAD (Purist Audio Design ) cables and they are full of some special gel...foo/snake oil take your pick. They do sound good and I would not have them except for them being S/H...however they don't like to be moved the sound goes off then comes back. It has been suggested this is due to the gel moving. I don't know if this is right but the sound does go off :confused::scratch: It makes me a bit suspicious of cables with fluids in them...the cables you linked to on E-bay are cheap enough to take a punt on, but if it were me, without being able to handle them and view the construction I would not bother.

Regards D S D L

Marco
28-05-2009, 07:32

Hi Dave,

Are you referring to the spat between Rob and Chris on the (now erased) 'Banner' thread? If not, please direct me to the thread(s) in question.

If so, it was due to specific circumstances and happened whilst I was out for the day. We're sorry that this occurred. However, as Neil pointed out, these things happen. A forum like this is essentially a community, and communities by their very nature have people within them who will occasionally fall out with each other - life is like that, and therefore we are not immune from this sort of thing happening from time to time. We will always stamp it out though as soon as we see it :)

Anyway, the 'vibe' here is still as friendly as ever, so you have no worries on that score! :cool:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
28-05-2009, 09:15
Hi Dave,

Are you referring to the spat between Rob and Chris on the (now erased) 'Banner' thread?

If so, it was due to specific circumstances and happened whilst I was out for the day. We're sorry that this occurred.

Marco.

As am I - and apologies to all for my part in this unfortunate chain of events. If I'd known where it would lead, I'd never have posted the original thread. The values held by the members of this forum should be upheld at all costs.

Anyway, the 'vibe' here is still as friendly as ever, so you have no worries on that score! :cool:

Ditto, from my point of view.

(Marco, if you feel this portion of this thread should have it's own place, then move it)

DaveK
28-05-2009, 10:00
Hi Marco and TGW,
Yes I was, plus one other thread can't recall which - short term memory loss, aka Senior Moment - where the comments also appeared to be getting less respectful of each other's differing opinion.
I suspect a PM or other private communication will be needed by the admin team to bring Rob back into the fold - what little I know of you guys suggests that my suspicions are not needed.
Now to Marco: - :)
I believe that I owe you an apology - thought about PMing it but, as my original comments were in the main forum the apology should be also. On re-reading your recent posting (scathing attack on posting on another forum ?) I realise that I completely misinterpreted it. I initially read it as an attack on another audiophile's legitimate opinion - I now realise that it was an attack on a (commercially motivated ?) pile of misinformation :doh: - sorry, another Senior Moment !!

Marco
28-05-2009, 15:11
Hi Dave,

No problem, matey :)

I never have an issue with someone expressing their legitimate and honest opinion, but the one being expressed in the thread on pfm which I highlighted had more than a hint of disingenuousness! Either that, or the bloke was just off his nut. Why else would you attempt to compare a Rega Planar 2 with an SP10, or with the Goldmund, at 100 times its price (at least)!! :mental:

Chris,

Don't worry about it, mate. These things happen sometimes :smoking:

Marco.

DSJR
29-05-2009, 20:27
Back to topic - wot u need guv is an ultimate "anti-cable" cable. The Mark Grants have a good reputation for not much dosh, as do the Flashback phono-phono's...

Forget all the foo add-ons - wire is wire and if the balance of parameters is judged well and the plugs are of good, low capacitance construction, you won't go wrong IMO

James G
08-06-2009, 13:31
Back on topic, there is some oil impregnated cables here in Japan that I've been thinking about trying. They call it Golden Strada.

I guess I'm like Dave in the sense that I'm still new enough at this to be open to things that other guys might immediately turn their nose up at.

Mykhailo M
19-12-2015, 22:39
As anything else in audio gear, cables need auditioning on your system. If possible grub 4 or 5 pares from your local dealer in a price range £300 to £600 from different brands and at your own comfort have them checked, I'm pretty sure you will get different results and the better components you have the more evident it will be. In my auditioning using well known brands I chose Malbru Silver cables and CX version for coaxial, highly recommended brand. It is amazing what small "exotic" brands can deliver for a money spent my search is over. I can change components etc but cable will stay as they are so revealing. :)

Gazjam
20-12-2015, 12:15
Whoa...
nearly 7 years between posts, has to be a record. :)

walpurgis
20-12-2015, 12:17
We did wonder :scratch:.

wee tee cee
20-12-2015, 15:51
Are these oily fuckers any good then!!!!

struth
20-12-2015, 16:03
Are these oily fuckers any good then!!!!

A good rubdown with baby oil works wonders Tony:eyebrows:

awkwardbydesign
20-12-2015, 18:12

Mykhailo M
22-12-2015, 00:15
It is like using a snake between your components, al lot of talks about a snake oil, may be there is an oil in a snake.. :scratch: