PDA

View Full Version : Tonearm cable upgrades - any point?

Ned664
27-10-2013, 11:54
Hi all

Anyone upgraded their Tonearm cable? I have been upgrading my interconnects and so wondered whether a similar improvement could be gained by upgrading the Tonearm cable.

Cheers

The Grand Wazoo
27-10-2013, 12:03
It does kind of depend on what you already have!
But yes, lots of us have done this. The cables that Marco tried from a chap called Yannis Tome have proved to be good for all who've tried them. His website is here (http://back-promo.co.uk/html/intro.html)

Rare Bird
27-10-2013, 12:03
Can't say i notice a difference but i changed all my arm wire because the wire was old..However it seems some people have magical hearing :lol:

hifi_dave
27-10-2013, 14:06
Hi all

Anyone upgraded their Tonearm cable? I have been upgrading my interconnects and so wondered whether a similar improvement could be gained by upgrading the Tonearm cable.

Cheers

Depends on the arm, the cable and the rest of the system.

Ned664
27-10-2013, 14:26
Arm is Roksan Nima on a Roksan Radius 5 MF xa1 amp and monitor audio rx1 silver. I am currents using the cable that came with the table just wondered whether there is significant improvement from an after market cable?

DSJR
27-10-2013, 14:50
The Nima internals should still be ok, unless Roksan specified too small a gauge as I suspect Rega might have done (I expect the wrath of their sales manager to descent from above now :rofl:), but perhaps you could play with the external cable. In recent times, I've only gone up as far as the Van Damme Pro-Patch, as used by Johnnie at Audio Origami, and like it very much for this purpose, but I respect the other opinions here, especially the one above mentioning Yannis..

hifi_dave
27-10-2013, 14:56
Not much point in spending hundreds on a cable for use with a Radius - a few tens of Pounds would be OK. The money would be better spent on a superior TT. IMO

Gordon Steadman
27-10-2013, 15:00
I was forced to rewire my Rega arm as one of the leads broke inside the arm. I rewired with silver Litz cable.

Once the wife and I had stopped swearing at TTs, arms, the universe and Rega in particular, we sat down to listen, looked at each other and said..........."well, it still sounds good"

Whilst I appreciate that we were unable to compare the two directly, I am sure we would have been able to hear any real improvement. Especially my bat eared wife. (she is my constant reference for what I make or try and fix:))

I would say spend the money elsewhere, on a better cartridge for instance.

rkay5
29-10-2013, 00:24
I just got a new phono cable made by Yannis made with same Van Damme wire that Johnnie at Audio Origami use 2m long right angle DIN for $105USD.Using right with a AudioQuest PT-7 and it sound great better than the AudioQuest Wildcat phono cable

Rothchild
29-10-2013, 17:15
I was forced to rewire my Rega arm as one of the leads broke inside the arm. I rewired with silver Litz cable.

Once the wife and I had stopped swearing at TTs, arms, the universe and Rega in particular, we sat down to listen, looked at each other and said..........."well, it still sounds good"

Whilst I appreciate that we were unable to compare the two directly, I am sure we would have been able to hear any real improvement. Especially my bat eared wife. (she is my constant reference for what I make or try and fix:))

I would say spend the money elsewhere, on a better cartridge for instance.

That's somewhat reassuring to hear, I'm just going through the same thing and my arm is off for some AudioOrigami love this week!

DiveDeepDog
29-10-2013, 18:18
I DIY with the Van Damme stuff, (same as AO) much better than the standard Roksan cable (and the red Jelco one)

I need to do comparisons with the HD one.

Wakefield Turntables
29-10-2013, 19:48
Yannis made all my cabling and it outperformed Nordost cabling worth several thousand pounds.

MCRU
29-10-2013, 19:59
Yannis made all my cabling and it outperformed Nordost cabling worth several thousand pounds.

A piece of string would out perform Nordost :ner:

Wakefield Turntables
29-10-2013, 20:54

Is that because Nordost wont give you a distribution license? :rolleyes:

MCRU
29-10-2013, 21:11
Is that because Nordost wont give you a distribution license? :rolleyes:

Don't be so silly (for a change)

Marco
30-10-2013, 14:02
Nah, it was because the local rep wouldn't allow him to 'park his bike up the back alley', eh Brooky boy? :eyebrows: :D

Marco.

MCRU
30-10-2013, 14:32
Nah, it was because the local rep wouldn't allow him to 'park his bike up the back alley', eh Brooky boy? :eyebrows: :D

Marco.

it was a woman rep :ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner: :ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner:

doggy style

DSJR
30-10-2013, 14:54
Van Damme cables are pretty good and far from expensive IMO. Such a shame one has to pay stupid amounts to get anything 'better.' Hope 'better' means more than posh looking plugs and some woven stuff over the cable itself, together with a huge hike in profits and retail price ;)

Marco
30-10-2013, 16:04
it was a woman rep :ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner: :ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner::ner:

doggy style

Quality, ma man! Did she throw in a quick truncheon polish?

Marco.

twotone
30-10-2013, 16:33
I DIY with the Van Damme stuff, (same as AO) much better than the standard Roksan cable (and the red Jelco one)

I need to do comparisons with the HD one.

Anyone tried these sort of cables?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-SL-1200-1210-XteX-ProteX-Audio-Phono-Cable-Lead-Neutrik-Van-Damme-1-5m-/261304392958?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item3cd6f49cfe

Tarzan
30-10-2013, 18:08

Oy! Watch it:steam:

Tarzan
30-10-2013, 18:10

Would this statement be based upon how long this said piece of string was?:)

DiveDeepDog
31-10-2013, 22:00
Anyone tried these sort of cables?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-SL-1200-1210-XteX-ProteX-Audio-Phono-Cable-Lead-Neutrik-Van-Damme-1-5m-/261304392958?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=item3cd6f49cfe

Yep, the XKE is the one, also search for pro audio cables, get a 3m one, cut in half for about a tenner ;-)

twotone
01-11-2013, 00:15
Yep, the XKE is the one, also search for pro audio cables, get a 3m one, cut in half for about a tenner ;-)

Thanks Mark.:cool: