PDA

View Full Version : TD160

speakers-1989
24-05-2009, 21:19
I have TD160B MK2 with a Rega RB250 and Denon DL110.

I am not judging but was Just wondering, do some people find the Thorens TD160 decks to be coloured sounding? As I find mines to be too much coloured.

I prefer the sound of my Rotel CD player over my Thorens. Because I find my CD player to be more faster, detailed and a bit neutral in some respect. Also the highs are better with my CD player. The Thorens can be a bit boaring sounding sometimes. I wish that I have a turntable that sounds a bit like my CD player. My Rotel CD player is very analog sounding, it actually sounds like a better turntable than the Thorens. (I know some people will disagree)

But then and again I have had my Denon cartridge for over a year. I played lots of records on it. Maybe it's time I changed my cartridge.

speakers-1989
24-05-2009, 21:20
Also what I forgot to say. I'm using my turntable with my Quad 44 preamp. Maybe the phono stage is not that great???

Tomorow me and Tim will take another look at the phono stage, maybe it needs more setting up? I have only had this nice Quad set up for a week.

DSJR
24-05-2009, 22:40
If your system's balanced for LP's, then the CD player will have a tendancy to sound "bleached out" and too lean. If the system finds CD to be neutral, musical and clean overall, then LP's via a sprung elasticated belt drive will sound a bit plump and "swimmy" (best description I can give - apologies).

The TD160 likes a better plinth than the one supplied from new and either changing it to a new one, or upgrading to a TD160 Super will help here. Sound Supports do some good pre-made sheeting to damp the sub-chassis, which makes a small but worthwhile difference. Others do motor damping rings etc in a cheap attempt to tame any motor vibration as the rotor "cogs" through its 24 poles...........

Have you removed the foam from inside the springs? A small pair of needle/long nosed pliers gets rid of it without you having to remove the springs.

Settimg the suspension is quite easy if you remove the mat and align the left hand platter "keyhole" leftwards with a convenient hole in the top plate and sub-chassis then exposed. This helps with suspension centering. make sure you hold the levelling nuts steady with a 2BA (M5?) socket driver/spanner while you're turning the centering cams, as the thing will go out of level if you don't.

Once the platter is level and the chassis bounces up and down properly, take a look at the earthing. If you use one of the metal plates to anchor the Rega arm down, then I'd suggest you leave things, but if you are using one of the earlier composite arm-boards, then I'd suggest soldering a separate earth wire from the sub to top plate earthing point (you'll need to take a fine file to the tag as it doesn't "take" solder otherwise).

Once the deck is floating, turn the top platter upside down and start up at 33rpm. The belt should settle in between the belt guides. The sub-chassis must be level and not leaning over fiirst.... If the belt is rubbing one or other of the guides, then the motor tilt can be fine tuned with the screw between motor and inner platter. This setting is usually ok from the factory and should only need tweaking as a last resort IMO.

Next, you can try a different mat - anything from the Rega P3 wooly felt one to the NAS SpaceMat should do better than the rubber original in this case.

If, after trying all this, the TD160 still doesn't do what you want of it, it may be better to investigate the Technics SL1200/1210 route, possibly changing the DL110 to an AT140MLa in this instance to bring some sparkle into the vinyl...

Hope the above ramblings are of some little help.

speakers-1989
25-05-2009, 10:10
It must be the Rega arm that is lacking the Thorens magic. Almost a year ago my father had an SME III arm, this arm sparkled very Beautifully with the Thorens. Midrange, soundstage and speed was very good. And the cartridge was a Denon DL160.

The Rega on the Thorens just sounds soooo completely different. Just boaring and slow, and a bit bloated.

Also My Thorens has had some slight upgrades. Damping sheet, Damping rings etc. Noting too great.

speakers-1989
25-05-2009, 17:06
My Thorens has improved, sounds better and more open. But I still think the cartridge will need changing soon.

The Thorens soundes very nice with Simply Red's ''Picture Book'' album. One track called the "Jericho" sounded very nice, the rhythm guitar came out very nicely.

A bit of the Thorens magic is coming back (Well I think)

Just wondering, does the Thorens TD160B MK2 have much in comon with the LP12?

DSJR
25-05-2009, 20:00
The TD150 layout was what inspired the RD11/LP12 products Shane.

What plate is the Rega arm bolted to? if it's the MDF original, then a SoundSupports metal one should offer an improvement perhaps.

Check the loading on the 44 preamp. You should be able to increase the sensitivity a bit and turn off the capacitance as the DL110 doesn't need it. If you can find a moving coil board for the 44, try to get one and try that instead.

One other thing with the 44. This may be barking (I can't help it), but if you have a 44 with phono outputs as well as the DIN, try using one of the sets of phono plugs as the output is higher and seem to ave more "drive" for some reason (you'll need to get some leads made up). The 44 uses op-amp IC's which can be sniffed at in some quarters. Better ones are available (and for the 405's too) and a better sound (as well as better measurements too) have been suggested.

speakers-1989
25-05-2009, 21:01
The TD150 layout was what inspired the RD11/LP12 products Shane.

What plate is the Rega arm bolted to? if it's the MDF original, then a SoundSupports metal one should offer an improvement perhaps. [/QUOTE] DSJR

Yes, I'm using a Soundsupports plate.

Haselsh1
26-05-2009, 07:49
I recently became the owner of a Thorens TD160 Super onto which I fitted my Alphason Xenon MCS and Denon DL160. When I compare it to a friends LP12 the Thorens sounds much leaner and a lot less coloured in sound. If I were to say that the TD160 sounds a lot more digital I don't think I would be far out in my description. The Linn sounds a lot warmer and fuller than the TD160 and in general, a lot more coloured. I normally use an Audioref rubber mat on the Thorens but have tried a Linn felt mat and an aftermarket felt mat as well. These truly did not work well.

I have the electrics going into a Project Phonobox SE II with the correct loading for an MC cartridge but I may start to experiment with this very soon. I'd like to roll off the treble a bit earlier and produce a more laid back sound. I'll report back when it's done.

speakers-1989
26-05-2009, 11:29
I recently became the owner of a Thorens TD160 Super onto which I fitted my Alphason Xenon MCS and Denon DL160. When I compare it to a friends LP12 the Thorens sounds much leaner and a lot less coloured in sound. If I were to say that the TD160 sounds a lot more digital I don't think I would be far out in my description. The Linn sounds a lot warmer and fuller than the TD160 and in general, a lot more coloured. I normally use an Audioref rubber mat on the Thorens but have tried a Linn felt mat and an aftermarket felt mat as well. These truly did not work well.

I have the electrics going into a Project Phonobox SE II with the correct loading for an MC cartridge but I may start to experiment with this very soon. I'd like to roll off the treble a bit earlier and produce a more laid back sound. I'll report back when it's done.

Good for you.

Also, are you still after those TDL Studio 0.5 speakers?

I saw one for sale in HiFi Adverts.co.uk. Sadly it does not have the metal stands though.

speakers-1989
26-05-2009, 11:33
On lots of HiFi forums I see plenty of people raving about the Pioneer PL-71. What's so good about this turntable? It does look nice though.

speakers-1989
26-05-2009, 16:34
Just asking, is there any Townshend Rock Reference users on here?

Just would like to hear your views on this TT.