PDA

View Full Version : Glastonbury 2014

RichB
22-10-2013, 22:16
Thought I might start a roll call, rumours and discussion thread for this. So I did:lol:

Who's going? Any acts you'd like to see there this year?

Me and the Mrs will be returning after a 5 year hiatus, just confirmed our motorhome so doing it in style this year! Hear that Fleetwood Mac, Depeche Mode, Pixies, Prince, Bowie are all rumored to be on the bill this year. As is Madonna who I frankly wouldn't cross the road to see. All the others are OK by me though.

Ali Tait
23-10-2013, 07:40
Yep, will be there. Heard the same rumours, and agree, not bothered in the least about Madonna!

Audio Al
23-10-2013, 07:42
Me

NO WAY , rather sit in the warm and dry with a beer and see it on the box ;)

simon e
23-10-2013, 15:00
I'll be there. Missed it last year as I was getting married the week before

RichB
23-10-2013, 19:24
Me

NO WAY , rather sit in the warm and dry with a beer and see it on the box ;)

Me too 99% of the time, however it does have its moments, such as watching the fleet foxes when the skies clear and the sun comes out and your mate hands you a beer!

The whole thing is actually a terrible kerfuffle but a few moments like these more than make up for it

johnB
23-10-2013, 19:40
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/image_zpsb6b47f22.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/image_zpsb6b47f22.jpg.html)

DOLLY PARTON FOR GLASTONBURY? GAP IN 2014 UK TOUR SUGGESTS SO. Country singer headed for Worth Farm?
:)

RichB
23-10-2013, 20:21
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/image_zpsb6b47f22.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/image_zpsb6b47f22.jpg.html)

DOLLY PARTON FOR GLASTONBURY? GAP IN 2014 UK TOUR SUGGESTS SO. Country singer headed for Worth Farm?

:stalks:

RichB
02-01-2014, 23:42
So it now looks like Dolly is a dead cert for the Sunday and Arcade Fire look as if they'll get the top slot on the Friday. I can take or leave them personally so will be off in search of other weirdness I think.

Eavis has apparently now said that Fleetwood Mac won't be playing which was a disappointment but supposedly the Eagles may have a slot free in their tour diary next year and would be a band I'd love to tick off my gig bucket list at some point.

Anyone got anymore gossip?

loo
02-01-2014, 23:48

she must have the same plastic surgeon as Sharon Osbourne
more than a passing resemblance:eyebrows:

johnB
03-01-2014, 00:01
So it now looks like Dolly is a dead cert for the Sunday and Arcade Fire look as if they'll get the top slot on the Friday. I can take or leave them personally so will be off in search of other weirdness I think.

Eavis has apparently now said that Fleetwood Mac won't be playing which was a disappointment but supposedly the Eagles may have a slot free in their tour diary next year and would be a band I'd love to tick off my gig bucket list at some point.

Anyone got anymore gossip?

Pixies I hear......but to be honest it's immaterial who plays the main stages, all the best activity happens miles away from The Pyramid.

RichB
03-01-2014, 00:12
Pixies I hear......but to be honest it's immaterial who plays the main stages, all the best activity happens miles away from The Pyramid.
I do love Pixies and finally got to see them a few years back when Kim was still in the band, as much I might fancy Paz their new bass girl I expect it would be a bit disappointing without Kim.

Totally agree though, the best stuff happens on the fringes. My mates band usually play several times over the weekend at various spots and are definitely worth a look for anyone going...... http://www.sheelanagig.co.uk

RichB
05-01-2014, 23:06
Rumours of a possible Kinks reunion (good)

Also of possible Prince headline spot and a UK tour this year (I'm indifferent on this one as I've never been big fan)

Thing Fish
05-01-2014, 23:24
I'd like to go for photographic reasons. Never been before so how quick should I seek tickets?

Thing Fish
05-01-2014, 23:26
Just looked and they are all sold out. Oh well the thought was there...lol

johnB
06-01-2014, 00:01
Just looked and they are all sold out. Oh well the thought was there...lol

Dave, there's a resale of tickets in early April. There'll only be a few thousand. You'll need to register though.
Cheers
John

Thing Fish
06-01-2014, 11:30
Dave, there's a resale of tickets in early April. There'll only be a few thousand. You'll need to register though.
Cheers
John

Thanks John.

RichB
18-01-2014, 00:19
http://www.gigwise.com/news/87607/metallica-prince-and-outkast-confirmed-for-glastonbury-2014

Latest rumours is Metallica, Prince, Kasbian and Outlast to join the line up...

I love the anticipation of it all and making plans for which band I'll see which ultimately go awry because that's the nature of it...

Ali Tait
18-01-2014, 02:58
Aye...

Fun, isn't it? :-)

RichB
18-01-2014, 10:49
Aye...

Fun, isn't it? :-)

That it is Ali, if you're going then we'll have to arrange a meet up to enjoy a cider or two together

Ali Tait
18-01-2014, 12:15
Yes indeed, I think there's a few on here going, be good to meet up.

RichB
31-01-2014, 11:43
http://www.gigwise.com/news/88075/suzanne-vega-confirms-herself-for-glastonbury-festival-2014

Suzanne Vega confirms she'll play. This is good news

Ali Tait
31-01-2014, 11:51
'tis indeed.

RichB
27-02-2014, 07:26
http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/26/blondie-reveal-they-will-headline-glastonbury-2014-ending-months-of-speculation-4324764/

Can take or leave these, not particularly special given they've played our local o2 academy a few times over the last couple years. Can't see them getting a top slot myself.

Ali Tait
27-02-2014, 07:46
Me either. Never seen them live though.

RichB
01-04-2014, 20:04
Ticket balance paid.... let the countdown begin!

RichB
09-04-2014, 23:15
Line up announced more to follow I guess but plenty here to like
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up-poster/

RichB
08-05-2014, 19:44
http://glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/interview.html

Metallica for the Saturday night, I couldn't be happier... A bit metallica is a guilty pleasure of mine...

Great line up, as ever the problem will be fitting it all in...

Techno Commander
08-05-2014, 20:06
Metallica should be good. :)

Love to see Public Service Broadcasting again. Very clever musicians.

johnB
08-05-2014, 20:21
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/imagejpg1_zps30dad17e.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/imagejpg1_zps30dad17e.jpg.html)
I've got to say that the depth of quality this year is marked across all stages. Unlike some other festivals no "filler" to speak of.
Can't wait!

Ali Tait
08-05-2014, 21:27
Aye looking good!

RichB
08-05-2014, 22:40
Perchance a wee AoS meet up? First rounds on me...

jollyfix
09-05-2014, 04:56
See you all soon.

Ali Tait
09-05-2014, 08:35
Aye, sounds good. Green Room bar perhaps?

shane
09-05-2014, 08:46
Gong? Goodness...

RichB
10-06-2014, 19:19
Anyone getting excited yet?

What we most looking forward to seeing?

In terms of the big stage stuff its M.I.A. (West Holts - Fri) Metallica (Pyramid - Sat) and Massive Attack (Other - Sun) which I'll make the effort for.

Also if I can find that Aphex Twin DJ set in the common (acid house set with 808 State, A guy called Gerald) I'll be a happy chap. Seen RDJ a few times over the years and I'm a big fan

johnB
10-06-2014, 21:42
MIA and Massive Attack, yes, for Friday and Sunday....but torn between the rather marvellous Dexys and a band I never thought I'd go to see, Metallica , last thing on Saturday.

Other musical highlights

Friday: Sun Ra , Alabama 3, Julian Cope, Billy Bragg....and Tinariwan (but they clash with MIA)

Saturday: Robert Plant, Jack White, Pixies, The Daptone Review (Sharon a Jones) definitely!, John Grant, Dan le Sac v Scroobius Pip

sunday: Dolly Parton, Black Keys, The Wailers, Phospherescent (a clash again)

......but to be honest I'll just go with the flow when in there.

RichB
10-06-2014, 22:49
MIA and Massive Attack, yes, for Friday and Sunday....but torn between the rather marvellous Dexys and a band I never thought I'd go to see, Metallica , last thing on Saturday.

Other musical highlights

Friday: Sun Ra , Alabama 3, Julian Cope, Billy Bragg....and Tinariwan (but they clash with MIA)

Saturday: Robert Plant, Jack White, Pixies, The Daptone Review (Sharon a Jones) definitely!, John Grant, Dan le Sac v Scroobius Pip

sunday: Dolly Parton, Black Keys, The Wailers, Phospherescent (a clash again)

......but to be honest I'll just go with the flow when in there.

Absolutely, that's why I'm not making too many plans as they tend to go awry. In terms of the smaller stages I'd like to see Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott, Thea Gilmore, Suzanne Vega, Royal Blood. Haven't worked out the clashes yet though. Mrs B will go her own way for Alison Moyet.

Been fortunate enough to have seen Tinariwan, Black Keys, Pixies and Billy Bragg before so will pass them up in favour of other things. Wasn't planning on spending much time at Pyramid this year but then that Sat not line up came out and its just all rock lovelyness so it looks like that's where we'll be too. See you in the fields:eyebrows:

RichB
20-06-2014, 08:31
Last day of work before a week of festival madness. Weather looking good however I'm starting to run low on sacrifices for the weather gods so if anyone has a surplus of livestock or virgins please PM me.

Ali Tait
20-06-2014, 08:33
You'll be fine, I've already sacrificed to the Celtic weather gods.

Ali Tait
23-06-2014, 06:48
A manic few days - discovered the tow bar electrics were not working properly on Friday, cue lots of swearing and stripping out of trim in the boot, swapping of bulbs and a new plug fitted to the camper. All sorted now though thankfully. Knew my tyres were getting low on tread, so swapped yesterday with a set of alloys and tyres I'd bought for a bargain £150 on an Alfa forum.

So, all set now, travelling to my mate's in Leeds today, then down tomorrow to meet up with the rest. Planning on going in about 8pm all being well. See you all soon!

vinylspinner
23-06-2014, 07:04
The weather is looking good, enjoy the weekend.:cool:

Nigel

RichB
23-06-2014, 07:12
A manic few days - discovered the tow bar electrics were not working properly on Friday, cue lots of swearing and stripping out of trim in the boot, swapping of bulbs and a new plug fitted to the camper. All sorted now though thankfully. Knew my tyres were getting low on tread, so swapped yesterday with a set of alloys and tyres I'd bought for a bargain £150 on an Alfa forum.

So, all set now, travelling to my mate's in Leeds today, then down tomorrow to meet up with the rest. Planning on going in about 8pm all being well. See you all soon!

Are you in the campervan fields Ali? We'll be in east, arriving Tuesday afternoon so come and join us for a beverage. I'll pm my mobile number.

Ali Tait
23-06-2014, 07:47
Aye, we're in East also. I've PM'd my number too. Give you a shout tomorrow evening.

RichB
30-06-2014, 23:00
Well, we're home now and recovering after a rather special time had at the festival!

We enjoyed every moment and I got to spend some good time with some of the great guys on the forum. Ali and I ended up being practically neighbours in the vast motorhome fields (what are the chances!) and some quality drinks and HiFi banter was had with Messers JohnB and Jollyfix of this parish.

Some the great acts we got to see over the weekend:
Glen Tilbrook, The Delegator, Formidable Vegetable Sound System, De La Soul, Elbow, M.I.A., Glen Tilbrook (again), Robert Plant, Jack White, Metallica, The Beat, DJ Random, The Mariachis, Phosphorescence, Plastic Ono Band, The Wailers, Alison Moyet.

Who could care less about the weather with this much music to see and great company!

Let's do it again!

Barry
30-06-2014, 23:58
Glastonbury 2014 – How was it for you?

Once again, courtesy of the BBC (and of course Michael Eavis) I enjoyed this years Glastonbury – and I have to say enjoyed it more this year than I have for the last couple of years.

Clearly I wasn’t able to watch all of the acts on TV from the comfort of my armchair, but with judicious consultation of The Radio Times and with much channel hopping and the use of the “red button”, I was able to see most of the acts I wanted to see. There were some noticeable exceptions: acts I wanted to see but couldn’t, which was disappointing, but over the weekend, in the company of many bottles of good beer, I was able to follow much of Glastonbury.

The sound was provided by channelling the audio channels of my Freeview box through a Mark Levinson ML10A preamplifier, a Quad 520f power amplifier into Bowers & Wilkins DM2A speakers.

So the following is my own, very personal take on this years Glastonbury. In roughly chronological order the acts I watched/heard are as follows:

Friday

Lily Allen provided a good start to the weekend with Allen singing many of her songs off her previous albums plus material from her new recording. Very enjoyable, apart from the distraction caused by the backing dancers ‘twerking’. I have to say I was slightly disappointed by Elbow. I found their set quite average, but then I have yet to find out what everyone finds so wonderful about them. I was also disappointed with Rudimental – not really my cup of tea.

As consolation I thoroughly enjoyed Rodrigo y Gabriela. The up-beat “flamenco”-style guitarist-duo never fail to put a smile on my face, and they were excellent as always. The same could not be said for Crystal Fighter – quite tedious, so much so I actually switched channel to watch Paulo Nutini, which is saying something! Actually I enjoyed Paulo Nutini much more than I expected: he seems to have found a better outlet for his fine voice, now he has got over his previous ‘lounge lizard’ style.

Sadly, I was unable to find either Arcade Fire or Blondie on any of the channels, which was a big disappointment for me. However Haim made up for that. Having seen them on ‘Later’, I was expecting much, and indeed much was delivered. What impressed me was the originality of their work. Pop it may be, but it was “feel-good” pop and that can’t be a bad thing. Excellent!

Interpol were a group new to me. I found them to be interesting and might investigate further. I’m afraid I gave MIA short shrift, as I really don’t like rap. Another group I wanted to see was Fourtet, a sort of ‘world music meets electronica’ combination. Having heard their only recording to date, and not being able to make up my mind about them (rather like my reaction to Yeasayer), I wanted to hear more, but again I missed them! All the more disappointing as the group which was shown, Metronomy I found to be nothing more than annoying electropop.

Friday night’s viewing was rounded off with the Keiser Chiefs; who sadly in my opinion seem now to be “past their sell by date”.

Saturday

Unfortunately I missed Lana Del Rey, but was more than made up by seeing Robert Plant. Performing many of his songs as solo performer, post Zeppelin, plus some Zeppelin favourites made an excellent start to Saturday’s viewing.

However this was short lived with Jack White. Performing material from his new solo album, I thought he was awful: tedious, shapeless garage/grunge having no structure or message. Very disappointing! I used to like him when he was in the duo White Stripes, but didn’t like any thing he did after that with The Raconteurs. I expect I’m in the minority here but I found his set simply awful and only mitigated when he played some bluegrass /country which allowed the electric violinist to be heard.

Have to say I didn’t watch much of Metallica, for the simple reason I don’t much care for heavy metal.

Manic Street Preachers were more to my tastes, so to were Pixies, the latter I though to be quite good.

Jake Bugg was excellent. This young singer songwriter in the mould of Dylan has much going for him. I shall watch his career with interest. Goldfrapp showed how electropop should be done and were much better than I was expecting.

Being a bit of a boring old fart Brian Ferry was exactly what I was looking for. Singing songs from his back catalogue, both with Roxy Music and from his solo career, Ferry can still sing; though I do wonder for how much longer? Nonetheless an excellent set. His backing musicians particularly impressed me, especially the drummer.

Anna Calvi didn’t do much for me, whereas I was much more taken with John Grant. This singer/songwriter pianist is new to me and I would like to hear more.

Again MGMT did nothing for me, but I found Sean Kati (+ Egypt Bo) with their catchy African rhythms more to my taste, despite the now obligatory distracting “twerking” dancers.

Sunday

Much to my surprise I watched more of Dolly Parton than I thought I would. Country and Weson is not my thing at all: I find the lyrics mawkish and sentimental. But watching Dolly Parton I could well understand how she has become a C&W legend. She certainly knows how to put on a good performance, work the stage and work the audience.

Ed Sheeran was, for me, the acceptable sound of rap. I thought he was really good, especially when singing the Nina Simone song ‘Wo Daddy Now Have Me Good’.

The Black Keys were excellent as always. Whereas Kasabian I found disappointing (but then I have never thought much of them).

The soulful crooning of Sam Smith was pleasant enough, and with time will possibly become much better. The female singer in Foxes had a good voice but didn’t seem to be distinctive enough for them to stand out. Bombay Bicycle Club, a largely acoustic pop group were great fun to watch and hear.

Sadly three of the groups I wanted to see on Sunday, I missed (or couldn’t find). These were The Wailers (for obvious reasons), Yoko Ono Plastic Band (to see if they had improved at all) and London Grammar.

So that was Glastonbury 2014 for me. It might appear as if I was disappointed more often than not. Well if I was, performances from Robert Plant, Brian Ferry, Haim and Jake Bugg more than made up.

How was it for you?

johnB
01-07-2014, 20:51
Good to meet you Rich, I concur a great year, and not too much mud.

Trying to remember which bands I saw....(May have missed some, but I seem to have left part of my memory in a field somewhere)

Weds: various bands up in Shangri La, all seemed brilliant at the time
Guns of Navaronne .......a Dorset Ska band, at Gaz Mayall's Rocket Club

Thurs: The Sweet Life Society up on the Hell Stage in Shangri La (mixing the sounds of the 20s and 30s with break-beats)

Friday: Blondie, Danny & the Champions of the World, Tune-Yards, Billy Bragg, MIA, The Beat

Saturday:Anoife O'Donovan, Daptone soul Revue, Skinny Lister, Nick Lowe, Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbot, Goldfrapp, Dexys

Sunday: Booka Brass Band, Galia Arad, Dolly Parton, Gentlemens Dub Club, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Massive Attack,

The highlight for me was Brian Jonestown Massacre.....highly recommended.

RichB
01-07-2014, 22:13
Was great to meet you and yours John.

Goes without saying that if any of the chaps should find themselves in my part of the world please look me up.

jollyfix
02-07-2014, 06:16
I am still here onsite, my fourth, or is it fifth week now ( far to much Hedge Monkey, nice drop that),home soon. Great to meet you all. Ali again shame we didn't get that pint, next year i hope. See you all at the greenroom Bar 2015.

Ali Tait
02-07-2014, 07:08
Hi guys, just got back yesterday evening. Great to meet up, Dave, yes, maybe we'll get that pint next year!

Another great Glasto, hopefully we can have a proper get-together next year.

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Dave- a few pints coming your way next year!

Marco
02-07-2014, 07:42
Glad you guys had a good one - seems like the weather was kind to you this time as well? :)

Marco.

RichB
02-07-2014, 20:50
Glad you guys had a good one - seems like the weather was kind to you this time as well? :)

Marco.
The weather was good at times and awful at times but it didn't really make a difference, when you're there you just get on with having a good time.... Weather be damned.

Will say Marco that the power of AoS is a force to be reckoned with though, you've got some great folk on this forum who I'd now consider new friends.

Had a nice day off yesterday to recover and spent much of it in front of my system looking up lots of great new acts on spotify being inspired by the stuff I'd heard at the festival. Glastonbury is great way to discover new music whatever your tastes.

Long live AoS and Glastonbury!

Alex_UK
02-07-2014, 21:01
Sounds like you all had a superb time - great to see AoS-ers meeting up and listening to real music. Still wading through all the shows I recorded on BBC HD but some great sets.

RichB
02-07-2014, 21:05
Here's a pic of our Glastonbury gang enjoying the calm before the storm.... Literallyhttp://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s468/richbritton/IMG_12823240820782.jpeg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/richbritton/media/IMG_12823240820782.jpeg.html)

Ali Tait
03-07-2014, 07:06
Ah, before the mud!

johnB
03-07-2014, 15:33
Ah, before the mud!

What mud? I don't remember any of that Ali......come to that I don't remember much. Must have been a good week!

Cheers
John

Ali Tait
03-07-2014, 16:30
:lol:, aye still recovering myself!

RichB
03-07-2014, 19:19
What mud? I don't remember any of that Ali......come to that I don't remember much. Must have been a good week!

Cheers
John
I do remember being served some rather fine perry one afternoon and it goes a bit blurry after that.

Ali Tait
03-07-2014, 20:28
It does that...

jollyfix
04-07-2014, 16:21
Backstage catering left today, showers too, my landy keys and the keys to my office handed back to the farm. Right thats it home.

jollyfix
04-07-2014, 16:25
Here's a pic of our Glastonbury gang enjoying the calm before the storm.... Literallyhttp://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s468/richbritton/IMG_12823240820782.jpeg (http://s1053.photobucket.com/user/richbritton/media/IMG_12823240820782.jpeg.html)
nice photo Rich. Wednesday? you and Ruth look unbanded/ no laminates...

RichB
05-07-2014, 19:29
yes Wednesday, lammys worn under clothing when out and about Dave, incognito and all...

RichB
05-07-2014, 19:32
Backstage catering left today, showers too, my landy keys and the keys to my office handed back to the farm. Right thats it home.

Enjoy the rest if you get one Dave, you deserve a day with the hifi... my recommendation for chilling in a post festival haze would be 'Beck - Morning Phase'. I cant get enough of it at the moment.

Ali Tait
06-07-2014, 09:30
Aye, have a couple of days to chill Dave, you'll be in need of them i'm sure.

jollyfix
06-07-2014, 13:16
yep, right there guys, time to chill. Just had a few nice ales and great grub at my local { http://thesheppey.co.uk/). Back onsite tomorrow ( few people to see), then get ready for Port Elliot fest. Good times.

johnB
05-10-2014, 07:28
Morning to Rich, Dave and Ali.....good luck this morning.
Whilst I love my record player and LPs, nothing gets close to this.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/imagejpg1_zps3e522bfa.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/imagejpg1_zps3e522bfa.jpg.html)

RichB
05-10-2014, 09:10
Morning to Rich, Dave and Ali.....good luck this morning.
Whilst I love my record player and LPs, nothing gets close to this.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/imagejpg1_zps3e522bfa.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/imagejpg1_zps3e522bfa.jpg.html)

Hi John, think we got lucky via a friend. I wont believe it til I see the confirmation...

Amazing that all the tickets sold in less than 30 mins. Hope the rest of you guys got sorted.

johnB
05-10-2014, 09:56
Managed to get in I'm pleased to say. Do hope to see you guys down there again.....think I might be investing in a motorhome this time, my back is only just recovering from the tent from June.

jollyfix
05-10-2014, 10:40
Well done , first time on the forum for ages, been far to busy. I have to go back to the farm next week for a few things ( accounts/ stores etc). Look forward to seeing you all again.

Ali Tait
05-10-2014, 11:28
Didn't make it this time. :-(

Will try again in the resales.

RichB
05-10-2014, 11:44
The ticket race was nuts this year... all gone in 25 mins.

I made it to the page where you enter your regs but one of our group had already got through so I had to re-enter some regs as they'd already bought and was presented with the sold out page about 25 mins in. Some of our gang did'nt get sorted so we're really gutted for them. We consider ourselves very lucky.

John - The motorhome thing is actually great of theres a few of you. Last year we had 2 motorhomes and put them together so the awnings were side by side making a little camp. Then some mates in tents crashed around the camp and we let them make use of our facilities for cooking/washing/phone charging etc for a modest contribution to the beer fund. It was all very social.

Let me know your arrangments closer to the time and if we cordinate getting onsite we'll increase the camp!