PDA

View Full Version : IC: LAD (London Acoustical Developments) GAJ828 Direct Drive turntable

synsei
21-10-2013, 06:13
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/hugocass/IMGP1127_zpseee7ae2e.jpg

Now here's a curiosity. I don't know all that much about this deck other than that it powers up and that the platter spins smoothly and quietly. I am reliably informed that this deck is fitted with a powerful JVC hall effect DD motor. I can say that it has immense torque and spins up to speed almost instantly. I have never had it hooked up to my system so I can't tell you whether there is good continuity through the arm cables or not and I do not have the right equipment to test it (neither do I own the correct armlead for that matter so I can't even test it with a cart fitted). The arm itself is built by Jelco to LAD's specifications and it is, apparently, a modified Jelco 370H but with a 9" armtube rather than the usual 10" item, according to Vinyl Engine, therefore it will fit nicely onto a Techy with one of Shuggies collars attached and mounted onto a 750D armboard. In fact I have studied a 750D and this arm at some length and I'll be buggered if I can spot any differences. Currently the arm is not fitted to the deck as I removed it with the intention of installing it onto my SL1210, however upon removal I discovered that the counterweight stub was suffering from brewers droop. I have been informed that it is quite an easy fix, just a matter of removing the stub and replacing a butyl washer or some such thing, and apparently doing so will encourage it to perform again with renewed vigour and passion. When I tried to remove the tiny allen bolt holding the stub onto the bearing housing it resolutely refused to budge. Not wanting to damage anything delicate, ham-fisted git that I am, I decided discretion was the better part of valour and left it to its own devices. One thing I have fixed is the lift/lower mechanism (YAY!!! \o/). I was informed that it was faulty but in actuallity it had been assembled incorrectly. It now works as it should :D

So what's it worth? Fooked if I know, I can't even remember how much I paid for it to be honest, only that I bought it from Shuggie along with one of his special collars. So, what about making me an offer, either for the whole shebang or perhaps I might even split them once I've downed a few pints and you say the magic word :lol:

Should you desire the TT, either with or without arm, you can either come pick it up from me personally (in which case PM me for my address) or else I can place it into the considerate arms of a courier who will covet it for three days longer than you were expecting. Several GutBuster breakfasts and a trip up the A1 later, said courier will knock on your door which you will answer full of expectation. Belching whiffs of bacon, eggs and sausages in your general direction the courier will then tell you, in person, that you are not in, after which he will hand you a very smug card informing you that your package will need to be picked up from the depot, 300 miles away... :lol: (only joking :D )

Over to you then... :cool:

p.s. I have cadged the Acromat for my Techie (Wise boy, I hear you say) however I will supply a compatible phat mat made of rubber just for all you latex fetishists out there. What a nice man I am... :D

nb: Please note the Shuggie collar is not included.

Beobloke
21-10-2013, 10:19
Great turntable and in nicer condition than the one I used to have!

Must say, I'm tempted...

Ammonite Audio
21-10-2013, 10:44
I should add that before I sold this deck to Dave, I got Johnnie at Audio Origami to check over and adjust the tonearm. He fitted a Cardas DIN plug in the arm pillar so that it can be used with most standard arm cables.

synsei
21-10-2013, 10:57
It is in great condition compared to others I have seen elsewhere on the interweb Adam, some of which appear to have led very hard lives indeed... :eyebrows:

synsei
21-10-2013, 10:58
I should add that before I sold this deck to Dave, I got Johnnie at Audio Origami to check over and adjust the tonearm. He fitted a Cardas DIN plug in the arm pillar so that it can be used with most standard arm cables.

Thanks Hugo, I'd completely forgotten about that ;)

Rare Bird
21-10-2013, 11:06
Can't you mod it into a record cleaning machine?

synsei
21-10-2013, 11:15
Probably André although I would need to find someone to do it for me, which will probably mean it will end up doing what it's doing just now, sit around taking up space. Besides, it is far too good a TT to modify into an RCM plus I need the sponduliks to pay for other stuff, like another set of Paul Coupes excellent IC's ;)

surayne
21-10-2013, 17:58
That arm looks exactly like a Jelco 750D...

synsei
21-10-2013, 21:57
That arm looks exactly like a Jelco 750D...

As I mentioned above Surayne, I have studied both and cosmetically it is identical to a 750D. If there are differences they are going to be internal.

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Armstubdroop0.jpg (http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/Sgtgrash/media/Armstubdroop0.jpg.html)

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Armstubdroop1.jpg (http://s1019.photobucket.com/user/Sgtgrash/media/Armstubdroop1.jpg.html)

And yes, I know the Shuggie collar is upside down, it's been rectified since these photos were taken :)

sq225917
21-10-2013, 22:20
LAD decks, as used by John peel, RIP.

synsei
21-10-2013, 22:25
LAD decks, as used by John peel, RIP.

And what finer provenance could any buyer wish for? JP was a legend :respect:

synsei
22-10-2013, 16:52
Okay, this is now a sales thread. I'd like £100ono for the LAD and Jelco arm as a package (I will leave refitting the arm to the eventual buyer as it will make it easier to ship). I will look for the best deal regarding shipping but my guess is that it will be around 10 to 15 quid for the complete package. Personal pickup is also an option ;)

I am willing to split them however, in which case I am open to offers on both items. Please be aware that the Jelco's arm stub will need seeing to as it droops a bit (see pics earlier in this thread) however there is no play at all. It arrived in this condition when I bought it so I guess it hasn't been an issue for its previous custodians. The LAD TT works as it should and as has been stated before, is in excellent condition in all respects.

Jason P
23-10-2013, 11:51
Go on then. I'll take it for asking. PM incoming.

chelsea
23-10-2013, 12:58
Hi will take the arm please.

Whoops to late.

synsei
23-10-2013, 20:58
Sold STP

synsei
25-10-2013, 19:51
Just to confirm, this is now sold. Thanks Jason, it should be with you on Tuesday ;)

DSJR
26-10-2013, 10:19
You mean you flogged the LAD to fund a TECHIE???? You mad fool you :lol:

I really hope you don't live to regret this decision.....

synsei
26-10-2013, 10:41
You mean you flogged the LAD to fund a TECHIE???? You mad fool you :lol:

I really hope you don't live to regret this decision.....

Actually Dave I flogged the LAD to help fund a pair of Ditton 44's, I've owned a Techie for quite a while mate ;)

walpurgis
26-10-2013, 11:50
Actually Dave I flogged the LAD to help fund a pair of Ditton 44's, I've owned a Techie for quite a while mate ;)

Ditton 44s eh?

I know they have a bit of a following on AOS, but I've had a couple of pairs in the past and although I found them to be competent, they were just not something I'd keep. I really didn't find anything special about them. Mind you, my main speakers would have been Tannoys even years ago, so the 44s would have struggled to compete. Having said that, at sensible prices they are a lot of speaker for your money and do no real wrong soundwise.

Macca
26-10-2013, 12:12
I had obtained a near mint set of 44s a while back, early ones with the veneered front - sold them to Bernie Canetoad of this parish. They are very good loudspeakers, the only problems I had were overall power handling (big room, and I like a bit of welly) and that they need a rear wall fairly close behind which I can't do for various factors. Otherwise I would have kept them. Those provisos aside they were better than some modern speakers I have heard up to and around the £1000 mark.

synsei
26-10-2013, 13:01
I had obtained a near mint set of 44s a while back, early ones with the veneered front - sold them to Bernie Canetoad of this parish. They are very good loudspeakers, the only problems I had were overall power handling (big room, and I like a bit of welly) and that they need a rear wall fairly close behind which I can't do for various factors. Otherwise I would have kept them. Those provisos aside they were better than some modern speakers I have heard up to and around the £1000 mark.

That's good to hear Martin as I can fulfil all the criteria you mention. They will have to be sited close to the rear wall as the room is only 4.5m by 3.5m and full of furniture. My Quad 306 should be perfect for them too, I won't need to drive the 44's hard in this room to achieve a decent sound level, believe me. I'm keen to hear how they compare with the DM2's to be honest, what I am hoping for is some extra bass weight and similar airy top end to that of the County's I used to own, if not then the DM2's stay and the 44's will be moved on ;)

Macca
26-10-2013, 13:47
They definitely have the airey top end, there's a reason the tweeters are so highly prized and priced now. Ideally you want stands about 12 inches tall, although you could get away with shorter than that. Don't know the DM2 or the Countys so I can't compare, but you'll find out for yourself soon enough.

synsei
26-10-2013, 13:55
These aren't equipped with HF2000's Martin as one had a fried voice coil. They belonged to istari night (James). He has replaced the tweeters with Seas 19TFF1 units and with a little judicious jiggery pokery on the crossovers he has got them sounding like a pair of HF2000's. James' thread describing the mod is here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?28263-Celestion-Ditton-44-Refurb-Tweeter-repair-Cab-Resto-etc&highlight=ditton+44%27s) ;)

Macca
26-10-2013, 13:57
Ah right, I see. Well they are a quality unit and James knows what he is doing so I'm sure you'll not be missing anything.

synsei
26-10-2013, 14:02
Ah right, I see. Well they are a quality unit and James knows what he is doing so I'm sure you'll not be missing anything.

Aye, that's why I pulled the trigger on them. Originality matters to some but I'm all about the right presentation, so if they deliver what is promised I will be a happy chappy :cool:

istari_knight
26-10-2013, 16:59
I was really p*ssed off when one of the HF2000's failed as I had them on a pedestal as a great classic tweeter that now sells for a fortune blah blah blah but I bodged a vifa tweeter in its place "just to see" and was dumbfounded the difference was non existant. Also, after dissecting the faulty HF2000 I was shocked how shoddily they were made... Real mass production thrown together kind of thing - Certainly Nothing to get excited about.

As an added bonus the Seas 19TFF1 are ferrofluid cooled so have much better power handling and less dynamic compression than those crusty old HF2000's which IMO are the weakest link in an otherwise quality speaker ;)

Macca
26-10-2013, 18:57
I

As an added bonus the Seas 19TFF1 are ferrofluid cooled so have much better power handling and less dynamic compression than those crusty old HF2000's which IMO are the weakest link in an otherwise quality speaker ;)

Well my pair were effectively new old stock as I doubt the fellow I bought them from had put more than 50 hours on them from new. So definitely not crusty and old. My suspicion was that the mid range driver was the weak point - after all in a 3 way design it is the most important driver and should be where the money goes. Anyways as you say James a good modern tweeter properly matched in should be at least as good as the originals.

istari_knight
27-10-2013, 09:38
Likewise, this pair were one owner from new that only used them on Saturday mornings whilst the wife was in town... The HF2000's were as mint as you could hope to find yet one self destructed for no apparent reason... They are rather crude things being a plastic dome superglued to a cardboard ring which is then superglued to the magnet assembly all neatly hidden under the metal grill. As good as they may sound IMO they are primitive when compared to the likes of an AR dome tweeter from the same period. As for the mid being the weak link hmm I agree the mid is the most important driver in a 3 way but after the recap the mid is wonderful, the driver iteself is a product of its time. Its a doped paper driver in a cast frame with mahoosive magnet on the back - In a completely different league to say a Kef B110.