PDA

View Full Version : What to see in New York?

johnB
13-10-2013, 23:13
Following on from Nikolaj's thread about what to see when visiting London, I thought I'd see if anyone could recommend stuff to do in New York in November....We've done most of the obvious touristy stuff, which is great, but looking for some alternative options, music, theatre, food, drink and even where to stay.
Any ideas gladly received.
Cheers
John

Rare Bird
13-10-2013, 23:21
King Kong

Macca
14-10-2013, 07:46
King Kong

I don't think he's there all year round....

Rare Bird
14-10-2013, 08:02
I guess not but Batman & Robin are :eyebrows:

johnB
14-10-2013, 09:57
I guess not but Batman & Robin are :eyebrows:

Is it too late to rescind the message "Any ideas gladly received"?:lol:
I was hoping for recommendations for a good restaurant or club!

That New York seems like a scary place though, maybe I'll go to
York instead.

http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag89/Jrb1961/image_zps39ea6e1e.jpg (http://s1300.photobucket.com/user/Jrb1961/media/image_zps39ea6e1e.jpg.html)

Macca
14-10-2013, 11:54
One hotel I enjoyed stopping at in NYC was the Regal UN Plaza. It's right opposite the UN building occupying about 8 floors of an enourmous skyscraper so you will be on or about the 40th floor and the view over midtown Manhatten is unbeliveable - once you get used to the height. Some good bars round about and Times Square is about 15 minutes walk.

jollyfix
14-10-2013, 16:48
Jump on a train, and get out of lower Manhattan, some great live music/food places in Spanish Harlem, or Brooklyn, even half hr train away on long island. We aint been for 4 yrs now, so as the norm places can and do change. Have fun John. The kids going?

johnB
14-10-2013, 19:00
Jump on a train, and get out of lower Manhattan, some great live music/food places in Spanish Harlem, or Brooklyn, even half hr train away on long island. We aint been for 4 yrs now, so as the norm places can and do change. Have fun John. The kids going?

Thanks Martin, thanks Dave....we did Amateur Night at the Harlem Apollo last time we were there, it was great.

NRG
14-10-2013, 19:08
Edit: ooops just re-read you opening post.... scratch the below!

Broadway Show
Battery Park, boat trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
Empire State...late at night
Ground Zero
Chrysler Building
Rockefeller Centre
Central Park
Times Square
Grand Central

If going with wife/girl friend/teenage daughter etc etc plan on a lot of shopping!

RichB
26-10-2013, 00:30
Katz's Deli for the pastrami and corned beef combo with the mega pickles. Just thinking about it gives me heartburn but bloody hell it was good.

johnB
26-10-2013, 11:45
Katz's Deli for the pastrami and corned beef combo with the mega pickles. Just thinking about it gives me heartburn but bloody hell it was good.

I've been to Katz's Richard thanks...I agree it's brilliant, how can a sandwhich be that thick?.....and pickles!

When we left we realised that we were just round the corner from the site of CBGBs, so we went to see...it's now an expensive clothes shop but it also sells second hand Vinyl and 70s "American Classic" HiFi bit like the cars from that era...big and shiny.