PDA

View Full Version : Advice on MC cartridge / Jelco 750D / Technics SL1210 modded

Frankyc2003
13-10-2013, 21:35
Evening all,

3 months ago, thanks to my idiotic behaviour I trashed my precious Lyra Clavis (snapped cantilever right off):steam:

Since then I have been saving a little bit of cash by eating beans on toast...:brainfart:

So now I am facing decision time...

What shall I get to replace the Lyra (sold as is to an american guy that will get it repaired)?

My choices are:

Benz Micro ACE SL
Audio Technica AT33EV
or potentially an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B from Thakker (do custom charges apply to his products when you buy on Ebay BTW?)

Advice and opinions much appreciated...

Thanks all

Oldpinkman
14-10-2013, 05:26
Customs charges apply to anything coming in from outside the eu with a value over £34 . That applies to everyone including ebay

Frankyc2003
14-10-2013, 08:44
Thanks, it makes sense.
I am just trying to see how much tax will be added to the price.

Clive197
14-10-2013, 09:00
I might be tempted to the Ortofon Kontrapunct B. if the package is from outside UK and marked as used which is likely with the Kontrapunct even if it has been re manufactured you may well not have to pay VAT. I sold my Kontrapunct via e-bay to a man in the USA without any tax issues. No guarantees though.

Great cartridge by the way only bettered by its replacement the Cadenza Bronze.

Frankyc2003
14-10-2013, 09:34
Thakker sells them as Brand New unopened, so I guess Tax will be added.
The Ortofon would be my first choice, but as with everything budget is tight...

EDIT: I just dropped a message to Thakker UK, so we shall see.

Anyone here with opinion or experience on Benz Micro ACE cart?;)

Oldpinkman
14-10-2013, 10:25
It doesn't make a difference if items are used. If items are marked as a "gift" then there is no duty to pay up to £135 value (although VAT is payable over £40).
VAT is 20%
Duty - usually 8% but £Nil if less than £9

Both are payable on the "landed cost" (including shipping and insurance)

Oldpinkman
14-10-2013, 10:28
It doesn't make a difference if items are used. If items are marked as a "gift" then there is no duty to pay up to £135 value (although VAT is payable over £40).
VAT is 20%
Duty - usually 8% but £Nil if less than £9

Both are payable on the "landed cost" (including shipping and insurance)

Thakker ship from Germany, i believe, so there would be no duty and VAT will be included in the price (B to C sale)

bob4333
17-10-2013, 17:08
Thakker sells them as Brand New unopened, so I guess Tax will be added.
)

I bought from Thakker via ebay. Price shown was the price paid. No additional tax.

Frankyc2003
17-10-2013, 18:41
Great!
So Thakker it is then!

Cheers

AlexM
20-10-2013, 02:58
I like the benz Ace SL very much. Clear, well balanced sound with Good detail, refinement and tracing. Very nice stereo imaging too. I am also running mine on sl1200 with jelco 750d, so you would find it the same.maybe consider the small if you're phono stage gain is a little on the low side.

CageyH
20-10-2013, 04:23
Thakker is in the EU, so no custom charges or VAT will should when the package arrives in the UK.

Frankyc2003
20-10-2013, 07:36
I like the benz Ace SL very much. Clear, well balanced sound with Good detail, refinement and tracing. Very nice stereo imaging too. I am also running mine on sl1200 with jelco 750d, so you would find it the same.maybe consider the small if you're phono stage gain is a little on the low side.

I actually listened to one yesterday at the audio fest from Cool Gales in Bath in a very expensive system and it did sound very good. I have both StepUp tx and MC active headamp, so hopefully the low output shouldn't be too much of a challenge.