PDA

View Full Version : Interesting reading at the doctors

Barry
20-05-2009, 16:56
I imagine that most people when waiting for an appointment, are singularly underwhelmed by the range of reading matter available in the waiting room. Usually just a whole bunch of celebrity gossip magazines, 'Country Life', 'Horse and Hound' or 'Homes and Gardens'. If you are lucky there might be a few National Geographic magazines.

Yesterday I had to visit my doctor for an MOT and was surprised to find there a solitary copy of 'The Absolute Sound' magazine. The first time I have been happy to wait, and was dissapointed to have to put the magazine down when my name was called. Either my doctor is being paid too much (and can afford the very expensive items reviewed in the magazine), or some other wealthy patient subscribes to the magazine.

I used to subscribe to The Absolute Sound many years ago (I still have issues 1 - 40), but stopped when the stuff they reviewed was way way beyond my resources. These days they allow advertising and the style of the magazine has changed considerably from the early days when it was an 'underground' Hi Fi magazine.

Barry

Puffin
20-05-2009, 17:08
My GP was really interested some years ago when I told him I made my own amplifiers and speakers and tweaked stuff etc. Many years on he must have forgotten. Mind you I only see him about once every blue moon.

My dentists have a lot of current Autocar magazines which are a good read, but tend to focus on cars I would not be prepared to spned money on.

Spectral Morn
20-05-2009, 19:02
Hi Barry

I used to love The Absolute Sound magazine (TAS)when it was in readers digest size, very few pictures and lots of editorial and lots of second opinions on the products reviewed. You really had an understanding of how a product sounded back then. I must say that my preference was for TAS then than Stereophile (though I did get it at the time and still do). However my preference has changed now in that I think Stereophile is the better magazine now days. I don't think there is as much content in TAS these days.

Earliest issue I have is 41...if you ever want to sell 1 to 40 Barry let me know.

My Doctors surgery magazine choice is rubbish TAS in the pile, even What Hi-Fi (Yuck) would be a fine thing.

Regards D S D L

Barry
20-05-2009, 19:34
Hi Barry

I used to love The Absolute Sound magazine (TAS)when it was in readers digest size, very few pictures and lots of editorial and lots of second opinions on the products reviewed. You really had an understanding of how a product sounded back then. I must say that my preference was for TAS then than Stereophile (though I did get it at the time and still do). However my preference has changed now in that I think Stereophile is the better magazine now days. I don't think there is as much content in TAS these days.

Earliest issue I have is 41...if you ever want to sell 1 to 40 Barry let me know.

My Doctors surgery magazine choice is rubbish TAS in the pile, even What Hi-Fi (Yuck) would be a fine thing.

Regards D S D L

Yes, the second and usually third opinion TAS gave was to my mind an interesting reviewing methodology, as it eliminated system dependency and synergy, allowing an assement of the 'sound' of the component alone to be made.

I was reminded of Stereophile when I read the TAS mag yesterday - my impression was that Stereophile is better. I used to occasionaly buy Stereophile when my local newsagent stocked it, but these days virtually everything they review gets a glowing report, and they seem to talk the most amazing nonsense at times (just read some of the on-line reviews). Sadly TAS is now a shadow of its former self (ever since Harry Pearson sold the title) and now seems to be a poor copy of Stereophile.

I always think that What Hi-Fi should have a question mark after the title. Critical moi?

Apropos my copies of TAS, they are complete with the binders/filing boxes. Let me think about their future. I'll let you know.

Regards
Barry

Spectral Morn
20-05-2009, 20:12
I always think that What Hi-Fi should have a question mark after the title. Critical moi?

I agree....What no Hi-Fi would be closer to the mark or What No Editorial.

Apropos my copies of TAS, they are complete with the binders/filing boxes. Let me think about their future. I'll let you know.

Please do....I would love to be able to read these..

Regards D S D L