PDA

View Full Version : Spin Clean

Haselsh1
07-10-2013, 16:32
Hands up…! I made a serious error of judgement.

I bought a Spin Clean record cleaning system and then said it was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I cleaned my records, dried them with the cloths supplied and then played them. Big mistake.

After two weeks of air drying the records are now as silent as a church mouse. Result…!

losenotaminute
07-10-2013, 17:23

I bought a Spin Clean record cleaning system and then said it was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I cleaned my records, dried them with the cloths supplied and then played them. Big mistake.

After two weeks of air drying the records are now as silent as a church mouse. Result…!

Don't you find the pitter-patter of tiny feet during the night quite off-putting ?

;)

Ali Tait
07-10-2013, 17:28
"We will fix it, we will mend it"

Rothchild
07-10-2013, 17:37
I recently got a disco antistat, which I think is much the same. It too requires quite a bit of patience to get the records nicely wiped and fully dry before they sound good.

I've had a couple where they were clearly so dirty that the first clean just really dislodged the crap, but didn't fish it out of the grooves, so the needle gets very fluffy on the next play. Nevertheless, once they've been played a couple of times (and occasionally rewashed) they tend to come good. On the whole it's a useful addition to my collection but I can't help feeling that it's a bit pricey for what it is, if it was £25 rather than £40odd I'd have been made up.

On that note, can anyone recommend a good value source for a nice velvet record cleaning wiper? (like the ones with carbon bushes but without the carbon brushes, I don't think they like record cleaning fluid!)

losenotaminute
07-10-2013, 18:16
I recently got a disco antistat, which I think is much the same. It too requires quite a bit of patience to get the records nicely wiped and fully dry before they sound good.

I've had a couple where they were clearly so dirty that the first clean just really dislodged the crap, but didn't fish it out of the grooves, so the needle gets very fluffy on the next play. Nevertheless, once they've been played a couple of times (and occasionally rewashed) they tend to come good. On the whole it's a useful addition to my collection but I can't help feeling that it's a bit pricey for what it is, if it was £25 rather than £40odd I'd have been made up.

On that note, can anyone recommend a good value source for a nice velvet record cleaning wiper? (like the ones with carbon bushes but without the carbon brushes, I don't think they like record cleaning fluid!)

It would be very useful if someone would do a scientific comparison of different RCMs, using a microscope. I guess the difficulty would be obtaining lots of sample dirty records that are exactly the same....

Lawrence

AlfaGTV
08-10-2013, 07:03

I use the Mobile Fidelity brush, it is like a three inch piece of train rail, with exchangeable velvet pads undeneath. Works fine either dry or wet.
And theres also the Clearaudio version which is designed for spreading cleaning agent onto the records. It's a plastic blade, with a rounded edge on the bottom, about 5mm in diameter, onto this the velvet pad is fastened.

Regards Mike

daytona600
09-10-2013, 12:24
Mobile Fidelity & Disc Doctor brushes are both very Good. Best results with a RCM for clean vinyl

Rothchild
11-10-2013, 07:40
Thanks Mike

Rare Bird
11-10-2013, 15:58

Aye i bought one a bit back, ive been happy enough with it.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?27947-My-Record-Cleaner-is-the-best&highlight=record+cleaning

Andrei
12-10-2013, 05:52
I've posted elsewhere on this but I'll repeat.

I have recently bought the spin clean. The short answer is that it really does work. The LPs sound better for it, and no doubt they will last longer too. There is one really annoying downside. It takes ages to clean one record. The instructions suggest 3 or so spins - which must be done manually - but in fact I have found you need to do twenty or so, at a minimum. Then I do a rinse and a dry with the supplied cloth, and then leave them out for a few more minutes to properly dry. Then I put them in a new sleeve. The result is there but it just takes so long.

Rothchild
12-10-2013, 13:57
Cos I'm a skinflint I ended up dropping £7 on one of these instead of the £20 MF version: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MS5X9I/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item I've got to put a word in for the vendor 'Bridport Music' as I ordered it yesterday morning and it's arrived already! I've not used it with the wet clean yet but it seems to be perfectly adequate for my needs and already compliments the carbon brush pad I've got already.

simon e
12-10-2013, 23:43
I have to say the spin clean works great. Cleaned up a couple second hand purchases which were unplayable before.