PDA

View Full Version : External Phono Stage as upgrade to Rega Brio-R

Fulci
07-10-2013, 13:40
Hi!

What would you recommend as an upgrade to the Brio-R's internal phono stage with a remarked improvement on the lowest budget?

Would a Gram Amp 2 SE better it or a Black Cube or it's now worth the investment?

Has anyone compared the iFi iPhono with the Brio-R internal phono?

TT is as Sony PS-X6 with an Acutex M312 but soon will be replaced by a SAE 1000LT which I'm waiting to arrive.

Thanks!

Reffc
07-10-2013, 16:04
The Rega in-board stage isn't too shabby at all and I'd be surprised if the Gramp Amp 2 (itself an entry level but fine phono stage) would better it. The ERA V Gold is the ballpark perhaps to look at, and then you should be talking some bigger gains. What is it you think you're missing? If you can hear gains with the cart change then the Rega stage is capable of resolving them, so my advice would be to stick with it unless you simply want to try something different, in which case there's loads to choose from used.

DSJR
07-10-2013, 16:56
I have my armour on so here goes...

Rega have a new expensive phono stage out - Aria? It's about £800 or so and hifi dave reckons it's good and more flexible in terms of cartridge choice.

A Pal who uses a Brio R also rates the Pro-ject Phono Box SE as a good alternative and uses both in different systems. He also has one of the Slee stages (can't remember which one) and prefers the above to it I understand.

Fulci
07-10-2013, 18:29
Thank you for your replies.

So, what would the minimum expense be to have an effective upgrade from the Brio-R stage? Maybe £400?

Has anyone tried the iFi iPhono or compared it to a Graham Slee Era Gold V or either to a Black Cube? What about an used WhestTwo?

And what kind of presentation should I expect from these brands?

I don't think I want to go as far as £400, maybe £250, but the idea of trying an external phono stage is groing on me. I guess I'll try the SAE with the Brio-R and see how it goes.

twotone
07-10-2013, 20:14
Thank you for your replies.

So, what would the minimum expense be to have an effective upgrade from the Brio-R stage? Maybe £400?

Has anyone tried the iFi iPhono or compared it to a Graham Slee Era Gold V or either to a Black Cube? What about an used WhestTwo?

And what kind of presentation should I expect from these brands?

I don't think I want to go as far as £400, maybe £250, but the idea of trying an external phono stage is groing on me. I guess I'll try the SAE with the Brio-R and see how it goes.

I've got an SAE 1000LT on my Technics SL1200 mk 2 (stock arm) and I had a Slee Gram Amp 2 SE and thought it was an excellent phono stage.

I've currently got a Firebottle valve phono on loan and I also use my amp's on board phono stage, the amp is an A&R A60 integrated.

I would say that all of the external phono stages are lounder with more authority than the on-board stage but the on-board stage is pretty good sounding however you really have to crank the volume up to listen to it in order to compare it to the external phono amps but the external phono stages don't have to have the volume knob on the integrated amp up too high and they also have more about them I think.

I'm currently waiting on an Arkless modded CA Azure 640P phono stage, the reviews are excellent, cost is £171.50 plus the cost of a donor amp which can be anywhere between £25 and £115 for a new one.

The SAE cart is fantastic BTW.

Yomanze
07-10-2013, 20:23
I would absolutely go second-hand, can't really argue with a second-hand Dino/Dino+ combo, and very easy to sell on at the same price if it doesn't beat it.

Elephantears
08-10-2013, 07:28
I would sell the Brio and get an old Onix 21S, a better shoebox amp in every way, with an excellent phono stage. You should make money from the change.

Fulci
08-10-2013, 08:44
I need a remote. I thought of getting an Onix sometime ago but need a remote now.

Could change for a Leema Pulse someday or a Uniti or whatever comes along for a good price that could better it but for now I'm very satisfied with the Brio-R, it's a very good amp.

Thus the need for a better external phono stage. If I ever change my amp I will need one.

Fulci
08-10-2013, 08:45
But no funds for an amp change anyway...

Clive197
08-10-2013, 08:59
I would absolutely go second-hand, can't really argue with a second-hand Dino/Dino+ combo, and very easy to sell on at the same price if it doesn't beat it.

I would certainly agree with the Dino solution. I get excellent results with mine and as Neil says, you will always get your money back as there is a big demand secondhand.

The other phono-stage to look at would be the WhestTwo, which has always enjoyed good reviews. Expensive new but far better value secondhand.

Fulci
08-10-2013, 09:18
Yes, I was looking into the WhestTwo, if I got one second hand for a good price, I could try it out. But there aren't enough reviews or opinions. No idea how it could sound. Has anyone compared it to the iFi iPhono?

Arkless Electronics
08-10-2013, 10:42
If you check out the customer reviews here http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=126877&highlight=Arkless+640P (it's quite a long thread!) there are comparisons against both the Dino and the Whest 2 in which the Arkless 640P comes out rather well ;)

twotone
08-10-2013, 10:42
Yes, I was looking into the WhestTwo, if I got one second hand for a good price, I could try it out. But there aren't enough reviews or opinions. No idea how it could sound. Has anyone compared it to the iFi iPhono?

The Whest two SH price varies between £300 and £400. The IFI phono seems to be excellent if you use a lot of different carts as it has a multitude of settings Ive never heard either of these though.