PDA

View Full Version : For Sale : Rega Jura Mk1 Loudspeakers

LittleTone
07-10-2013, 13:22
A nice pair of Rega Jura Mk1's in really good condition for their age; just a few hardly noticeable marks on the wood veneer that even the camera can't pick up.
I purchased them from an AOS member last year.
They're fitted with spikes at the moment and I have replaced the bridging bars with DNM Reson speaker cable. The original bridging bars will be supplied.
Looking for £150 collected from Wiltshire.
If that grabs your fancy send me a message

TAKE A LOOK AT THE PHOTOS

http://sdrv.ms/1hwsWFR

Regards
Tony

LittleTone
10-10-2013, 11:01
Bump

hifi_dave
10-10-2013, 11:32
Have another bump on me. Great fun speakers.

synsei
10-10-2013, 14:26
Tony, can you give me an idea of what sort of presentation the Jura's have please, for example are they forward or neutral sounding? Do they sound better well away from rear and side walls or perhaps they benefit from being closer? Just trying to get an idea as to their character buddy as I have not listened to a pair. Thanks :)

istari_knight
10-10-2013, 15:15
I've only heard them once in a Naim system & I dont know if they were mk1 or 2 ? They had a very full bottom end... Good fun speakers perfect for just enjoying the music I would say :)

LittleTone
10-10-2013, 18:10
In reply to Synsei's question I have found them very even tonally with bass content I have found lacking in two other models of floorstanders I have owned.
In fact I bought them because of the larger bass unit hoping for a bit more warmth in the lower regions than the Royd Doublets I had; they didn't disappoint. Sounded rather similar to the Royd Doublets but with a bit more lower register content. istari_knight,s comments above would suggest he was listening to Mk1's as I understand the nice bottom end was lost with the Mk 2's. His final comment sums them up very well. I have an awful room for HiFi; but I don't have any problems with them. The room is long and narrow. Firing down the room, I have a sofa in the middle and just in front (far from ideal) across the room they have to go either side of a fireplace; effectively putting them in corners.But they worked. DJSR on here suggested a bit of sponge in each rear port worked well. A liitle out from the walls is fine.
Regards
Tony

LittleTone
18-10-2013, 09:36
Bump

LittleTone
25-10-2013, 10:45
Bump

DSJR
25-10-2013, 19:43
Since I think I was responsible for you buying these earlier this year, may I throw my tuppence-worth in?

The mk1 Jura can be used fairly close to a rear wall, BUT, the port needs to be half-bunged (a cheap bath sponge cut in half and each half inserted sideways to partly block each port works best). used this way, the bass blends with the mid very well. The mid is clear and involving, with actually very low colouration, which is a characteristic of all Rega's speakers, Royd derived or not. The ONLY snagging point with any of their speakers is treble quality, which is deliberately un-damped and 'lively.' This crispness can liven up a soft vinyl system on the one hand, and give you a headache with a poorly matched digital one on the other. Used with anciliaries with no added harshness and a digital source with some bass power and expression, these speakers can sound really seriously good. It'll take a huge price hike to really improve on these all through the frequency range IMO!

The mk2 Jura tightened up the bass and the upper mid was brighter as a result. This could emphasise hardness or 'lean-ness' in badly matched systems and the result wasn't as good in many cases - we certainly didn't like them as much as the mk1 version.

By the way, the mk1 Jura's LOVE being bi-amped. Forget bi-wiring on its own as it makes beggar-all difference, but using two amps with identical gain is a definite plus-point I found.

Speaker cables? I'd recommend the Talk Electronics stuff I think, which should give a more substantial sonic than the standard Rega cable. We sold ours with Cable Talk 4.1 (and the fig 8 Excel 4), which looks to be very similar gauge internally to the Talk 3 cable - same designer.....

Hope this helps :)

LittleTone
10-11-2013, 11:40
Hi guys,

Since the original post and have had a bit of a change around and incorporated these speakers back into my system, replaced the Rega Quattro speaker cable with
Talk 3 and most importantly invested in a new pair of interconnects. I took a punt on a pair of Paul's (Rffc) Reference Pluto IC's and I have to say that with my Rega gear they sound superb and have made a major contribution. Jerry's review on HiFi Pig sums them up perfectly. They just sound right . Compliments to the chef (Highly Recommended ).

Regards
Tony

DSJR
10-11-2013, 11:55
We loved these, which were passed over for the ELA 2's at the time. The ELA is elegant, but just doesn't 'boogie' if powerful bass is a need. Glad you've given them a new life :)